What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

This fella will be getting a workout soon; arrived to me yesterday.

I've stared at the photo on the right many a time, a Christmas morning snap of my gramps opening up a gift camera in 1974 or thereabouts. I'm not 100% convinced I got the right one, but either way I've a yet another nice arrival. A couple years ago I was holding out hope that this one and several others would be unearthed from my grandparents' storage boxes but it seems a number of his old cameras have disappeared, likely by way of my aunt "tidying up" numerous times over the past decade. Ah well.

After a quick consult with a friend, I re-adhered the mirror last night which had broken loose inside the mirror-box in shipping and had been flailing about in there, but luckily little-to-no damage to it. All cured and shined up this morning. A solidly made and reliable little shooter, evidently a lower-tier Topcon model but still quality (but for the sparse pickings in the UV mount variety), i'ts metering nicely and with working shutter-priority as well manual. A nifty little 70s example that's as of yet still comparatively dirt-cheap on the used market. A six-element Topcor 50/2.0 on the end of it. Love the bright-work at the end of the barrel.

1325691397_topcondiptych.thumb.jpg.77c9948764a886ef364c78ac963aa8d0.jpg

• Like 3

Wanders said:

This fella will be getting a workout soon; arrived to me yesterday.

Very nice indeed. Even these mid-range Topcons are beautifully built and the Topcor lenses are excellent. I have a couple of similar Topcons and both leaked light at both ends of the door, so it would certainly pay to check the seals in these areas.

I'm currently using an old favourite, the Konica Autoreflex T2 with a fine 57mm Hexanon AR f/1.4 lens, and I'll try to post some results later in the weekend.

1790119322_KonicaAutoreflexT2.thumb.jpg.34f182234c9dd17cae7d3739bee4699d.jpg

• Like 4

Wanders said:

Very nice indeed. Even these mid-range Topcons are beautifully built and the Topcor lenses are excellent. I have a couple of similar Topcons and both leaked light at both ends of the door, so it would certainly pay to check the seals in these areas.

I'm currently using an old favourite, the Konica Autoreflex T2 with a fine 57mm Hexanon AR f/1.4 lens, and I'll try to post some results later in the weekend.

[ATTACH=full]1323903[/ATTACH]

Yes, I'll be replacing the door seals tomorrow. They don't look too awful but they're certainly a gooey mess in spots.

I've been shooting my T3n a fair bit recently but my T4 has become the daily driver. I recently acquired an FT-1 Motor, which I'd wanted for quite some time.... it's giving the T4 some time off. Konica AR is new-to-me in the past 3 or so years, but has all but replaced my Pentax system (K and m42) as the favorite. Really enjoy those cameras and glass and wish I'd had a go much earlier on!

LT200116.jpg

Last time I shot a roll with this Agfa Record III, after I had freed up the shutter and rangefinder, I discovered a light leak.

I've rechecked the bellows and couldn't discover anything there. So I added some additional padding to the film chamber edges.

We'll see how it goes this time.

• Like 5

This little outfit arrived yesterday, a nice example of the Praktica BC1, the top model in the Praktica "B" series of cameras that served to introduce the Praktica bayonet lens mount. These cameras seem to be comparatively unknown in the USA and Asia, but were popular in Europe and Australasia. I already have a copy of the BC 1 but the shutter has become a little unpredictable, and I was pleased when this collection became available. The BC1 was considered a semi-professional camera, offering aperture priority automation with full manual override, and there was a large range of accessories and lenses available; I prefer it to the later BX series which were electronically more advanced but featured lighter construction with a greater use of plastic. I've run a short test film and I'll try do do something more serious in the weekend.

738426050_PrakticaBC1.jpg.84c32a87259711f51cb92a8c6edc2aa7.jpg

• Like 5

If time permits, I will finish off the 120 roll of Holga 400 B&W in my Eastar TLR (Chinese Seagull knockoff) which has possibly the dimmest viewfinder I have ever seen on a medium format camera BUT has a surprisingly sharp lens. I keep a yellow filter on the taking lens and it does fine for B&W work, although I don't quite trust the top shutter speed of 1/300. I started the roll earlier in the week when driving through Crozier Canyon on Route 66 in northern Arizona, but given that I am between jobs and my darkroom gear is packed up with the rest of my household goods in a storage shed in Phoenix, I probably won't be able to develop the roll for a few months...
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing some images from this early zoom, Rick. I think Canon used the design for a number years as they upgraded their lens mount to allow for open aperture metering on later models. Later, Soligor offered a lens of this range for about half the price, but I'm sure the Canon outperformed it.

The current Zenit thread on CMC reminded me that I haven't used a Russian camera for quite some time, so I dusted off a couple of Zenit "B"s and I'll run a film through one of them this weekend. I'll probably use the one with the 58mm Helios 44-2 f/2 lens, rather than the earlier 44; there's not much to choose between the cameras as they're both tidy and fully operational. Pre-set lenses it has to be, as the Zenit B's don't have the mechanism to operate auto-aperture lens.

To add a little authenticity to my outing I'll use the Leningrad 4 exposure meter pictured, still going strong, and accurate.

223670574_KMZZenitB.jpg.74286934b1f756a92e38e7f430a8a80b.jpg

• Like 4