If you won a million dollars

<p>If you won a million dollars would you go on a shopping spree for new camera equipment ? Would you buy the latest and the greatest, or would you buy several of the latest and the greatest.<br>

Would you stick with your brand, or would you dabble into other brands. Would you buy lighting equipment that you probably would never need ?<br>

How long after the million dollars was safely in your bank account would you start shopping for new equipment. Days, weeks, hours, minutes, seconds ? Would you finally buy that famous Leica with lenses ? Would you sell your old equipment on eBay ?</p>

<p>Simple for me...The only gear I'd buy would be one of the digital Leicas and a replacement lens for my mirrorless body. I'd gradually increase selling some of my film gear. Rest for other purposes.</p>

<p>I might spring for some new equipment, perhaps a full frame digital SLR, something I have not gotten yet. On the other hand, if I really wanted one I could get it now. I think more likely the two things I'd do would be to shoot more film and damn the expense, and go more interesting places with the equipment I already have.</p>

<p>I couldn't afford fancier gear any more with a million extra dollars than I can now. I'd be grateful for the windfall and would stash it away for more pragmatic uses (e.g. future medical care). FAIW, a million dollars doesn't go really far -- a camera or five here, a car or three there, a few grand vacations to some exciting destinations, lots of meals out at expensive restaurants, and so forth... and pretty soon you'll have consumed it all.</p>

<p>Most of it would go to investments, so we could travel a lot. I would get something like a D750, or a lightly used Df, and maybe the 85mm f1.8 AF Nikkor. I have an 85, but it isn't AF. Otherwise, I've got more "stuff" than I need.</p>

<p>I suppose in general I'd invest it and get maybe 5% return per year. That's up to $50,000 per year for life, plus the principal. But specifically, there isn't much I need in terms of equipment.</p>

<p>I think using the money to travel would be wise. Though I won't be staying in cheap places. If I'm travelling I'm travelling in style.</p>

<p>So what is there? A couple of film Leicas with a few lenses - not necessarily the most expensive ones. A couple of digital Leica bodies as well. One more A7/r/s body and a few good lenses. And for fun, a Leica T with the 11-23 and the 55-135. Perhaps a Hasselblad kit and a home film lab, too. :-)</p>

<p>The only cameras I actually 'need' are the Sonys. But if I find I can use the T to replace the A7, I might do that (not likely).</p>

<p>But here's a thought. If I'm getting $50K/yr that means I don't have to work anymore. Which means that the cameras I have will be the ones that I want, not the ones that I need. There will no longer be the line between profession and passion. So I probably would have mostly film cameras, with one or two digital ones.</p>

<p>(i) 700k in global equity ETFs and 300k in fixed income, and (ii) plan retirement in a few years. I don't need any more stuff. I have too much stuff already. I spend maybe a thousand a year on film and lab services.</p>

<p>I got monkey trapped by possessions before, so I should use the million to run away. - I have a buddy who seems knowing about investments & stuff. - IDK if money earns <em>real</em> interest above inflation and doubt it is much. Anyhow: It would last till retirement at more than my wage / month.<br>

I have a lot of photo gear already. So I guess I should get a passport, CLAs / lens dottings, some smartphone, saddlebags & my CUB serviced, replacement baggage prepared & boxed and hit the road. - Summer is near and Eastern Europe probably beautiful. <br />There was a time when I thought packing everything & the darkroom sink into a formerly military truck would be cool... but at x<10mpg I won't get very far and armed guards might not be exactly cheap either, but having one is essential when you don't want to bother about parking somewhere. - For that reason I'd try the opposite approach of carrying the core of my belongings and risking theft of tent and the 1000 Euro 100mpg bike. I seem to own 2 travel kits at least (tent, sleeping bag cameras webbook...) So it seems best to have a 2nd one prepacked for shipping, just in case.<br>

After a few orientation evaluation trips I'll probably make up my mind where to go gear wise. - I share Bill Jordan's problem, but have feet in 2 further systems. <br>

Purchases: a Gitzo comes to mind. - Maxing out the digital darkroom with 5k iMac, Macbook & Eizo + a killer windows machine seems tempting but one step at a time, after consideration and making sure I "re-saved" the money from my monthly allowance. <br>

Options I see so far: Getting entirely into Leica; 2nd (even 3rd?) contemporary body, Tri Elmar, 35mm 'lux? - Cobbling a Sony into that lens line?<br /> Tilt shift glass? / Dabbling with MFT for a portable swift long end? / As much as the pro-SLR AF tempts me sometimes; I am not yet sure if I'd want to take a 70 -200 f2.8 out to just look & see. - I suppose I should get involved into a need for it and flash my credit card. Looking at the sites of Huff & Rockwell :owning everything seems too complicated for me. - I honestly feel able to wake up, think "go out & shoot" and get lost & distracted over the decission "what to grab?" and notice its night & bed time.<br>

Talking about weather & stuff: I'd probably buy the under water Nikon 1 or APS C if somebody will make one. I might also try to re-save up for a used car that allows cargo bicycle roll on / roll off, to shoot my 13x18cm, but thats a project for the 3rd summer...</p>

<p>Buy a house for the children and grandchildren so they can get out of their cramped apartment, a D750 for me, some to favorite charities, invest the rest.</p>

<p>Agree with Lex about your health - that is most important. Without it,the money means nothing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would drive my Ferrari Dino all over the US, taking pictures with my lowly Fujifilm X20. FYI, the Dino would be the only purchase.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Interesting idea. Are there Ferrari shops all over the US?</p>

<p>More seriously, I already have a more than complete 6x9/6x12 kit that needs only a few relatively inexpensive tweaks. I'm about to inherit a small pot of money, might put some of it into a good grade of Nikon DSLR with a handful of modern lenses for it. Might. And new lenses only if the manual focus Nikkors I bought in the '70s and '80s aren't easy enough to use with the digital whatsit. That kit would certainly be easier to travel with than my 6x9/6x12 gear, especially internationally.</p>

<p>Re cars, I'm contemplating splurging on an Elan. Every time I contemplate one seriously I recall a discussion in MotorSport's letter's section about the risks/merits of buying a used Elan. The discussion ran for three months. This was in 1975. The consensus that emerged was that although a good Elan was a joy the typical owner could count on spending more time under his car than in it. I didn't get one then, almost certainly won't get one now.</p>

Cameras would be low on my splurge list even tax free million. Elegant travel would be high. Want to revisit Europe and see Scandinavia I never got to. Finance a starter college fund for granddkids. Beats cameras for me, Harry. I am well enough set up for my needs I guess camera wise. Might hire a really experienced professional model for one hour shoot for fun right here on the beach. Give a little more to the Food Bank....

<p>A million dollars used to mean something; not so much any more - it'd cost twice that just to <a href="http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/07/investing/buffett-lunch-winner/">have lunch with Warren Buffett</a>, although it can still make life more comfortable for most people. </p>

<p>I'd probably spend a small fraction of the sum to hire a few professional models to shoot; something that has always intrigued me but never had the opportunity. </p>