• 16 replies
    • 2.3k views
  7. canon dslr to 4x5 wista field

• 3 replies
    • 1.3k views

• Recent Gallery Images

• Recent Forum Wide Posts

• Monks Mound, Cahokia, IL built ca. 1000-1200 Current Era
    • Is that a hand cranked version on the left?  And what kind of sound recording equipment would they have used?  Optical sound recorders were the size of a refrigerator at one point, and these cameras were far from silent in operation which is a big problem when recording dialogue.
    • Funny that, I'm playing with a magnetic 'holder' I built at the moment. It's two cylindrical magnets that fit into 2 cylindrical holes, maybe 0.5mm bigger in dia. There are opposite polarity cylinder magnets at the bottom of the holes. (in the foot) They were far too strong to start with and you could pick up the tripod via the body/lens! It's surprising just how strong these small neodymium magnets are 😂 As I'd stupidly stuck the magnets in, my way of reducing the pull was small discs of plastic, the thickness of a yoghurt pot. 5 discs down the hole was about right to not come out too easily, ie accidentally, but with an up pull was free quite easily. I'd thought to have the magnet 'pegs' on the foot, but they ruined the hand-holding.. The magnet pegs protrude by about 10mm... ouch on the palm ! I tried tapered 'pegs' for easier location, but rotational twist made them come out too easily. The fore-aft twin cylindrical shape prevents normal pan and tilt movement releasing the foot. I made a non-magnetic version, with just pegs and holes which worked OK, but i was worried it would escape too easily... although the parallel peg/hole was pretty good. 5mm was way too short. 15mm was too long... 10mm was Goldilocks' porridge. 😉 Prototype 2 will have smaller magnets or maybe same size but with steel inserts in the foot. I'm many miles from my workshop at the mo' but will try and send some pics soon! NB. This was for a Manny 501 HDV fluid head. A 'loose' ball head may dump your lens 😮