Linhof Technika Serial Number Questions

Glenn McCreery

<p>Hello Bob,<br /><br />I have a camera that I believe to be a Technika Master 5, the serial number is 6475052 and it was manufactured in "West Germany". Do you know what year it was produced?<br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Kind Regards,<br />Michael <br /><br /></p>

<p>First there was never a Master 5. The Master Technika series replaced the earlier Super Technika V series in 1972.<br /> Secondly since your camera says West Germany it was made before re-unification.<br /> Your camera was made in made in 1987, shortly before re-unification.<br>

After re-unification they are marked Germany rather then West Germany.</p>

<p>Hello Bob,<br>

Just signed up to finally get some info on my linhof technika which I bought a couple of years ago.<br>

I think it's a linhof technika III, but I don't know which version.<br>

The serial number on the accesoire shoe is 15003.<br>

I has a 9x12 back and doesn't take 4x5 inch cassettes (unfortunately).<br>

I would like to upgrade it with a 4x5 inch back, if that would be possible. I bought it cheap so I don't mind to spend some extra money on the back.<br>

Hope to hear from you.<br>

All the best Don (from the Netherlands)</p>

<p>Thank you Bob, for the reply.<br>

Then it would be a Technika III type 5.<br>

Can't I get a second hand linhof graflok back for this camera?<br>

I thought you could retrofit it with a 4x5 inch back (according to some information on the cameraquest website.</p>

<p>There are no parts or accessories available from the factory for a III for over 30 years. The parts are different then later models, even some Master Technikas no longer have some repair parts available if they are old enough. The Master was introduced in 1972.<br>

Regardless a III is missing the single most common movement on a view camera. Forward lens tilt. A IV and all later Technika 45 cameras added this important movement. No lens boards, ground glasses or Fresnel screens have been made for a III for over 30 years. All current ones fit a IV and later models.<br>

Why throw money into a 9x12 III. Sell it and buy a IV. The IV may also be obsolete compared to a Master but at least it is full movement and all current accessories fit it.<br>

Linhof does not have Type I, 2, 3, 4, 5 models.<br>

In the III series there were 4 model groupings by the factory:<br>

The original III made from Oct 1946 to 48<br>

Another series made from Oct 1945 to Jun 1954<br>

Another series from Feb 1950 to Dec 1954 with a plain camera bed<br>

A series made from July 1954 to Oct 1957 with a convex bed<br>

A series made from Sep 1953 to Aug 1957 also with a convex bed<br>

There were no Type 5. That is a dealer or collector classification, not a factory classification.<br>

There are other errors in Cameraquest which they do not correct.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Going back to my original question on page 1 concerning my 13 x 18 cm Linhof, I received this most interesting response from Wim Mulder through Photo.net,</p>

<blockquote ><br /> ************************************************************************** <br /> This message was sent by Wim Mulder. You can check this user profile using the link below: <br /> <a href="/photodb/user?user_id=7612680">http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=7612680</a> <br /> ************************************************************************** <br /> "Dear Mr McCreery, I'm the owner of a Pre War Linhof Technika 13x18 camera with serial Nr 3289. This is just 48 camera's more away on the production line then yours. <br />Probebly made the same day. These camera's where made in the year 1936 -and so on-the same year as the Olympic Cames in Berlin. My camera has olso a number in white paint on the left side of the body. The number is 172, and I was wondeing if there are more camera's with an indetification number. <br /> <br />Probably the camera was used for rent, or belonged to a press agency. <br /> <br />I think a lot of camera's ( Leica and Linhof) were used during the Olympic Cames. <br /> <br />So probably there are more of these numbered Camera's. Maybe yours? <br /> <br />It is a pity that all Linhof argives are lost in the war. But I am trying to make a list of owners of pre war Linhofs. <br /> <br />Yours sincerely, Wim Mulder (The Netherlands) "</blockquote>

<blockquote >My camera does not have an identification number similar to the 172 on Wim's. Also of interest is that there is an almost identical camera currently listed on eBay with a lower serial number (not my listing).<br /> <br /> <br /> </blockquote>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi Bob,<br>

We recently got a Linhof Technika camera from my girlfriends dad. He has used it to photograph church murals, but has now switched to digital. We're trying to figure out which version it is, and we believe it is a Technika V (it has the lens rise lever). I'm not sure how to see if it is a RF-camera or not, although I cannot find anything that resembles a rangefinder. The serial number in the hot shoe mount is 2122400. The Camera is made in West-Germany, so it must have been made before reunification.<br>

Could you advice on the year it was made? And if it is indeed a Technika V?<br>

Best regards,<br>

Andreas Lundin</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
<p>I have a technika iii (i think). The number on the shoe sais 15037. It's got no rangefinder or cams, but international back, back movement nobs on top and two focusing rollers.<br /><br />I cant really get the features to match the serial number. Is there any other place i could look for a serial number?</p>