What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Another oldie this weekend, one of my favourite Mirandas, the Miranda "B", circa 1959. This copy wears the 50mm Kowa Prominar-Miranda f/1.9 lens, which was released only in the Australasia and Pacific region, as I understand it. Besides being a fine lens, it seems to have developed something of a rarity value among collectors.

Miranda "B"

80532018_MirandaB.thumb.jpg.540708dfb0e4afcdb62c761e04681b55.jpg

• Like 4

Rick- I never owned a Miranda and I don't see very many functional ones in the USA, at least at reasonable prices so I'm excited about seeing your results. For many years Mirandas had a three year warranty. I wonder, though, if they didn't regret that after the DX-3 hit the market. It wasn't as reliable as the earlier models, but is was compact. Just the same I never met anyone who had a defective DX-3 so if I found one in working order I might be tempted to buy it.

Also, prop that Brownie up on a table or other level surface. And in bright sunlight use a K2 filter to reduce likelihood of overexposure.

It has three aperture settings, with a slide up tab, thought to be f/16, f/22, and f/32.

With most film, f/32 should be small enough without an extra filter.

(I suppose one could put Delta 3200 in one.)

I might put in a roll of VPL120, in which case I plan to hold an orange filter in front of the lens.

-- glen

Great looking FM2, James. I may have to pick one up to complement my FE2.

Glen- theoretically a yellow or orange filter should improve sharpness somewhat with a meniscus lens since it reduces the range of colors that must be brought to a focus. Whether or not the difference is noticeable might be a different story. If I ever get my old Kodak Duaflex out for some exercise I might have to try different filters with it.

• Like 1

Great looking FM2, James. I may have to pick one up to complement my FE2.

Glen- theoretically a yellow or orange filter should improve sharpness somewhat with a meniscus lens since it reduces the range of colors that must be brought to a focus. Whether or not the difference is noticeable might be a different story. If I ever get my old Kodak Duaflex out for some exercise I might have to try different filters with it.

The secret is to watch KEH for one in excellent condition.

Thanks, James. That would be my preferred place to buy one. Browsing KEH does require a bit more patience these days as the supply of excellent and even bargain condition cameras is less than it used to be. Also, at least in some categories, they might have one or two pages of "out of stock" items listed. Way too many "inoperative" and "as-is" items. However, careful filtering with search engine usually helps. Even with these minor issues, I still think KEH is the best bet for buying used gear.

Another great feature of KEH, unlike many online vendors, they do a good job of providing help over the phone.

James, nice Fm2n. Back in the 90's I brought a new (old stock) black Fm2n from a local camera store I think for $400 (body only). Loved the camera though the Titanium shutter blades were a little louder than the aluminum shutters. Anyway, wish I would have kept it...
  • Like 1

Today I tested an Ica Atom 51 that I've had for several years. It has the Doppel-Anastigmat "Hekla" f/6.8 lens, which was the next to cheapest of seven grades of lenses. Was made for 4.5 x 6 cm glass plates, but also had a "500" size film pack adapter.

1264526036_IcaAtom51.thumb.jpg.70b6614eac2c8a5664673f705672409d.jpg

Finally accumulated four plate holders for it. I made 0.040" thick black styrene backer sheets to put behind film, since the holders are only designed for plates. I cut down a 4x5 inch sheet of T-MAX 100 to four sheets of 4.5 X 6 cm size. Used a paper trimmer in the changing bag. Took three tries to get rectangular film of (more or less) the right size.

Only shutter speed that doesn't lag is 1/100, so that's why I used 100 speed film. Shot it at 1/100 at f/16 in bright sun.

Developed in HC-110 Dilution B using the Nikor "Cut Film Rack" in a Q18 Nikor tank.

Conclusions:

• The camera is cute
  • The bellows don't leak
  • The plate holders don't leak
  • The "Hekla" lens is pretty good
  • Processed sheets of 4.5 x 6 cm film are also cute
  • The film sanitation issues of trying to cut down sheet film are pretty much insurmountable
  • The Nikor cut film rack isn't too hard to load, but one sheet was loose by the time I was done fixing
  • Composing with a reflex finder is always challenging

Here's the first shot I took:

724233221_IcaAtomphoto.thumb.jpg.ecfbc1d92fb2049e88c5cf485408c9a8.jpg

Given the film sanitation issues, the only way I'd consider using this seriously would be if I could order a box or two of 4.5 x 6 cm film during the Ilford ULF order window. There was dirt all over the film, and a few spots of emulsion damage.

• Like 4

Rick I am interested in your evaluation of build quality between the two cameras if you have time to tell us.

First impressions are that the Yashica is just as solid and metallic as the Rollieflex, of nearly identical proportions but noticeably heavier. There's very little to pick and choose between the smoothness of the film advance/cocking mechanism, and frame spacing. The Yashica's viewfinder is considerably brighter, and the aperture/shutter adjustment wheels on the Yashica are larger, as is the focusing knob, a feature that suits my large hands. The Rollieflex is better-finished to some small degree, in line with it's gem-like reputation, but not by very much. I'll put together an evaluation of the Yashica in the near future and try to expand on these initial impressions.

• Like 2

I'll be out this weekend with a Yashica 230-AF camera fitted with a Yashica 28-85mm Yashica Kyocera f/3.5-4.5 lens. This the heaviest and possibly the bulkiest lens of this description I've come across; I can't find a formula for the construction but judging by it's fine performance there must be some serious glass in there!

Yashica 230-AF

470055133_Yashica230-AF.thumb.jpg.7c9acf85332a37bd5963ca042bf07a64.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, Rick, and in addition to some serious glass it was quite expensive (as were similar AF lenses from other makers of the day). My families camera shop didn't stock it, but instead the fine performing, but lower priced 35-70.

For my next film I'm pulling out Minolta's budget SRT (if such a description applies).

upload_2019-8-22_22-24-41.jpeg.a4b842c0d9ecf840c8b81796af353511.jpeg

SRT 100 with 55mm f 1.9 MC Rokkor PF with Ilford FP4+

Light meter happily dines on Wein 1.35 volt cell.

• Like 2

Friday I leave for 10-day "September Odyssey 2019" trip with 2nd Armored in Europe. 250 WW2 re-enactors traveling along the route the 2nd US Armored Division took from Rumes to Hasselt in Belgium in World War 2.

For the occasion I've loaded up 20 rolls of Fomapan 100 and 10 holders of 4x5 sheet film.

I'm going to be using:

- Leica IIIc with a Summitar on it (and a 28mm Hektor for the wide-angle stuff)

- Graflex Anniversary Speed Graphic 4x5 with 127mm f/4.7 Ektar.

Digital backup

- Leica M-E with 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1.