What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Something a bit unusual this week: a French Darlot Petzval 6" lens (probably over a century old) adapted to Pentax 6x7. Photos are in the weekly. There is no aperture control, so it has to be wide open at f/4 or so. There is no coating of course, but the built-in lens hood does a good job.

spacer.png

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, bruce_z._li2 said:

Something a bit unusual this week: a French Darlot Petzval 6" lens (probably over a century old)

Fascinating Bruce, love to see some shots from that combination.

I was reading about this modification the other night ... old Kodak lens on an RB67

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnalogCommunity/comments/10vrop7/i_made_a_for_my_mamiya_rb67_prosd_using_a_100/

22 hours ago, bruce_z._li2 said:

The steampunk camera of the Kodak 35 RF: despite its looks and quirkiness, the Anastar 50/3.5 shines, and the separate rangefinder is actually quite easy to use. Photos in the Feb'23, 2023 weekly.

spacer.png

One of these was my first camera as an 8 year old, paired with a GE selenium meter. It did a very nice job and I loved it. When it was stolen in a house break-in my parents replaced it with an Instamatic and I stopped taking pictures for a few years as a result.

Nice old Kodak 35, Bruce, a camera, I enjoy using despite it having won numerous "The Worlds Ugliest Camera" competitions. In appearance it's quite obviously an ancestor of the Medalist and Signet 35.

This weekend it's the turn of another Nikon, the F80. It's fitted with the Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro lens, a surprisingly good performer. In it's native form it allows 1:2 macro, and with it's "matched macro adapter" it goes down to 1:1 with no noticeable decrease in image quality.

NikonF80copy.jpg.ba158378bc29b1bc0578cb837c753e30.jpg

Edited by rick_drawbridge
  • Like 4

This weekend I'll take out my black Nikon F w Photomic FTN finder - produced in the second half of 1970.

The lens is a pre-AI Nikkor 24mm 2.8 from circa 1975. It is a 9 element/7 group design with close range correction (CRC). The optical design is the same as the older version, but in the "<NEW> Nikkor" barrel, a design that came to define the later AI lenses from 1977 and onwards.

I'll load it with an expired roll of Ilford XP2+ I found forgotten in a drawer.

Nikon F & <NEW> Nikkor 24mm 2.8

• Like 8
Niels

Rick- the Cosina macro was also sold under the Vivitar and Phoenix labels.  I have the Phoenix version in Yashica Y/C mount and it is indeed a good performer.  In addition to close ups, it makes a convenient portrait lens.  It may not have the build quality of some of the heavier (more metal) macros, but since I'm not taking mine mountain climbing, I think it will last a while.

Sawyer's Mark IV TLR that shoots 4x4 frames using 127 film. Also known as Topcon Primo Jr, and is arguably a better miniature TLR than the baby Rolleiflex. A bright 60/2.8 Topcor traking lens, and the film advance / shutter tensioning is very similar to a Rolleiflex. It is a bit PITA to slice 120 film down to 127 size, but with recent gadgets (FCK127 from Camerhack in Italy) it is kind of manageable.

Sawyers Mark IV TLR smaller.jpg

• Like 12

Something a little different, the kind of camera I'd not normally pursue, but it was gifted to me by a friend and has proved to be a very capable little camera. It's the Ricoh GR 1, a high end 35mm metal-bodied compact camera introduced in 1996 by Ricoh, receiving the 1997 TIPA award for best 35mm Compact Camera. It has a superb lens, the Ricoh GR 28mm f/2.8, (7 elements in 4 groups) and shoots in Aperture Priority mode, with aperture selection and exposure compensation adjusted by dials on the top deck. The first results from a test film have impressed me greatly, with the lens living up to it's high reputation.

RicohGR1copy.jpg.65c0f1f926f17f9961bba53d53af6e13.jpg

• Like 8

It has been a while since I last exercised this combination.

A 1954 Leica IIIf with a 1934 5cm/2.0 Summar.  I'll use HP5+ rolled up in a FILCA cassette. As the lens is uncoated, contrast would probably benefit from a yellow filter but I don't have one that fits.

Leica IIIf with Summar 5cm f/2.0

• Like 8
Niels

A bit unusual beast recently, a 3D printed ultralight 4x5 camera that takes Graflok back. The lens in the photo, a Graflex/Rodenstock 58mm f/5.6, was designed for 2x3 and definitely cannot cover full 4x5 frame even stopped down. But it does work with a 6x7 roll film back nicely.

PXL_20230306_204323888.PORTRAIT Large.jpeg

PXL_20230306_204404881.PORTRAIT Large.jpeg

PXL_20230306_204414457.PORTRAIT Large.jpeg

Edited by bruce_z._li2
  • Like 8

On 1/21/2023 at 3:47 PM, AJG said:

A new to me Kiev with some lenses--the Helios 53 mm f/1.8 on the camera along with Jupiter 12 35 mm f/2.8, Jupiter 9 85 mm f/2 and Jupiter 11 135 mm f/4. Not shown:  a Zeiss universal finder for the 3 Jupiter lenses.1562706507_Kievlenses.thumb.jpg.3c3701d908f062b5a789d6b6b1656401.jpg

Where can I find a take up spool for my example easily. I'd like to run a roll of film through it. I love it quirks and all. Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Kent T said:

Where can I find a take up spool for my example easily. I'd like to run a roll of film through it. I love it quirks and all. Thanks! 

These tend to be available on eBay--as far as I know, they are usually interchangeable with Contax take up spools. There is at least one eBay seller who is 3D printing them for about $20, and lots of Ukrainian sellers with Kiev spools for sale.