What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

The third of the four Leica LTM lenses I had cleaned recently: 1932 Elmar 9cm f/4 - nicknamed "Fat Elmar" for obvious reasons.
Same optical design as the slimmer version sold up until the mid 50's.
The Fat Elmar was only made for two years in low numbers thus somewhat of a mild rarity.

This weekend mounted on a time appropriate Leica II D (a 1929 Model 1-A modified to Leica II-D around 1933).

Both camera and lens shares the same black nitro paint that wears beautifully to my eyes, and the warm looking nickel plating. Both finishes were soon after replaced with the more hard wearing chrome.

I will shoot some HP5 - and will have to add a 9cm viewfinder to the accessory shoe of course.

Leica II D (1933) with a "fat" Elmar 9cm f/4 (1932)

• Like 5
Niels

This weekend is longer than normal due to the Easter holidays. I have time to test the fourth and last Leica LTM lens I recently had cleaned.
A 1951 3.5cm f/3.5 Summaron. Today with color film (Ultramax 400) as the colors are emerging in the local botanical garden.

IIIf w. 3.5cm Summaron f/3.5 (1951) and Yashica finder

The finder is a Yashica “Tele/Wide” finder where the wide end approximates a 35mm view.

• Like 5
Niels

Finished the roll in the Akarelle over Easter holiday. Had a few film transport hiccups, but the exposures are good.

Loaded up my Leica IIIg with more expired Agfa film and mounted the Summicron on it. Let's see what developes 😉
This camera was suffering from a little curtain drag before, I've tweaked the shutter a little, but I've not retested it yet.

I've dusted off the very tidy Neoca SV, a well-made but unexceptional rangefinder from the mid-50's. What lifts it above the average is the very fine 45mm f/2.8 Zunow lens, an excellent performer by any standard. Zunow Kōgaku Kōgyō K.K was a relatively short-lived Japanese manufacturer of high-quality lenses, often for Nikon and Leica rangefinder cameras, and are stated to have created the first 50mm f/1.1 lens in 1953. It's unusual to find Zunow lenses on mid-range cameras, and there is a Neoca camera of this design that features a Zunow f/1.8 lens that has a cult following and somewhat elevated asking prices on the auctions.

Neoca SV cop.jpg

• Like 7

I have added another lens to my collection of 50's:

This time the short nosed Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AIS - the very plasticky export version. But compact, light and no doubt as good as any of Nikon's 50/1.8's. This weekend I will try to find out with the lens mounted on my F3 loaded with a roll of Kodak Gold 200.

Nikon F3 with a short nosed 50mm 1.8 AIS

The lens was a gift, and I probably wouldn't have sought it out otherwise as I already own the long nosed version.

• Like 6
Niels

I have cleaned the finder and lens on this Trip 35 and will enjoy it's simplicity this weekend before I pass it on to a young friend.

For new film users, I recommend loading these with 400 ISO as the often resulting higher shutter speed (1/200 vs 1/40) and higher aperture values usually yield less movement- and focusing errors. I use Ultramax 400 this weekend. 

When I give these away, I usually put on a 43.5 to 46mm step-up ring to make it easier to find filters and lens cap.

IMG_5914.thumb.JPG.e0cd787da344b31579ac8f6dab8177df.JPG

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 7
Niels

I've been playing with a couple of simple doublets this week ... a Kodak Duex and a Kodak Jr Six-20.  Both have fixed-focus periscopic doublet lenses.  The 6x4.5 Duex has a fixed shutter speed and aperture but looks cool and is fun to shoot.  The 6x9 Jr. Six-20 is more capable with a range of shutter speeds and (small) apertures but has those pesky bellows that are riddled with pinholes.

Both cameras take 620 film but I've modified them to accept a trimmed 120 spool in the supply side.

I'll post some shots in the weekly thread.

Doublets_small.jpg.d2db1d9859162e783ac53b75dcaca84e.jpg

• Like 9

One of my smallest camera to produce 6x6 images, a faux TLR box camera Argus Super 75, with a surprising 65mm f/8 3-element glass lens. It uses 620 film, has one speed 1/50s and three aperture settings (f/8, f/11, f/16). Will take it out for a spin this weekend.

Argus Super 75 Large.jpeg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, chuck_foreman1 said:

That Duex does look good, the Jr 620 though did win the pics in this weeks offerings!!  Seeine pichere of the Duex, I was reminded of the Agfa Clack which it resemebles quite a bit .. I wonder which came first the Agfa Clack or the Kodak Duex??

The Duex came first.  It was released in 1940.  The Clack was introduced in the mid-50s.  Here's an advert announcing the Duex.

Advert1_small.jpg.b9d7916eec8e10cd5aea54bd6e2ee7f2.jpg

• Like 6