What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

So I seem to be attracting waist level finders at the moment.
Another gift from someone cleaning out the closet.
I wonder if these finders were popular back in the day?

Last weekend with the F2 & DW-1 I did some macro flower stuff in color with a 55mm Micro Nikkor. The user experience was fine if  a little slow. Certainly nice to see things from above when composing the ground level shots.

This weekend I will try some street shooting from the chest with HP5 and a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 (non-ai) plus the new-to-me F waist level finder. I think it is “model II” but it does not have any model inscriptions.

The photo shows the old Sonnar derived Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5.
I thought the chrome nosed lens visually supplemented the mismatched finder finish very well for this camera portrait.
I am, however, debating with myself if the chrome finder can justify the purchase of a chrome Nikon F body😉

Nikon F w. Waist Level model II

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 4
Niels

On 6/25/2023 at 8:49 AM, MarcelRomviel said:

Just received a Leica M2. It was a workhorse for someone, as you can see by the dents.

IMG_6058_M2.jpg.7b71fdb93ec87ffc29c542a569dd4509.jpg

I put my Canon ltm 35 m f2.8 on it and Kentmere 400 in it to see if it works.

I call this the ideal Leica for me. It's already pre-banged up. So spastic me has no anxiety using one like this for running miles of film through it. Rock it! 

• Like 2

I just finished a CLA on this fine condition, early model (pre-CAMEROSITY date code) Kodak 35.  I'm guessing it was made in 1938 or 1939.  It's got the desirable 50mm f3.5 Anastigmat Special lens and Kodamatic shutter.  It lacks the parallax compensating viewfinder however.

Hoping to put a roll through it this week, weather permitting.

Camera_small.jpg.e661f5f4de6040f740ef1add5cfa3e8d.jpg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, bruce_z._li2 said:

I'm hacking together a Frankenolga Panorama camera, by using the body of Holga 120 Pan and a petite Wollensak Extreme Wide Angle 90mm f/12.5 lens. Should cover 6x12 nicely.

Holga 120Pan Hack front Large.jpeg

Thats so cool Bruce. .. an EX.W.A. lens. I was looking at this or one like it for 4x5. but 9x12 sonds very intersting! Frankenholga... I Like that!! 

• Like 1

Here's what I consider the next best thing to a waist level finder:  right angle finders that attach to the eyepiece.  While not intended to use at waist level you do get right angle convenience plus some magnification.  This one attached to a Minolta SRT.

SRT angle II.JPG

• Like 8

I will be testing a Rolleiflex 3.5F for a friend this weekend.

It has slightly too much roughness and dents for my taste, but he was offered to try it out before buying so nothing to loose other than the film/processing.

If it checks out - he can get a great camera for very little (relatively).

He has no previous medium format experience and gave me a roll of 120 Kodak Gold 200 to give it a go on his behalf.

It is my 3.5C (aka 3.5E) to the left.

Rolleiflex 3.5C (aka 3.5E) and 3.5F

• Like 5
Niels

On 6/25/2023 at 4:36 PM, Niels - NHSN said:

I have one just like it. Absolutely worth a little love and attention from a qualified tech if needed.

Leica M2 with Elmar-M 50mm f2.8

Finished te film. It seems to work but not like my Canon P.

I will send it to a technician today. It will take a while before it comes back.

• Like 7

On 6/29/2023 at 5:10 PM, Niels - NHSN said:

I will be testing a Rolleiflex 3.5F for a friend this weekend.

He has no previous medium format experience and gave me a roll of 120 Kodak Gold 200 to give it a go on his behalf.

It is my 3.5C (aka 3.5E) to the left.

Rolleiflex 3.5C (aka 3.5E) and 3.5F

Some results now posted in the Film Camera for July 7 thread - for those interested:

• Like 1
Niels

The above test last week was inspirational and I wished I had brought my own Rolleiflex 3.5C (aka 3.5E) along for some shots without it being for test purposes. Therefore I have loaded it with some recently expired Fujicolor Pro 400H for the coming weekend.

The UV filter is weirdly yellowish, I first thought from age, but then noticed it is rated “-0.5” !? It may be intended for B&W only, but I’ll try it anyway.

IMG_7290.thumb.jpeg.e9f29097517a2f19f1ee591aba9f4e83.jpeg

• Like 6
Niels

Trapped inside by very wintry weather, I ticked another task off the list by cleaning this pretty little Finetta 88. Created by Camerawerk Peter Saraber around 1953, the camera has three interchangeable lenses. It's seen here with the 45mm Finetar f/2.8 lens, a good little performer. I'll load a film in the hope the weather clears tomorrow.

Finetta88copy.jpg.a770c22fc22107af31dbf455ff6de28a.jpg

• Like 8

On 4/22/2023 at 12:06 PM, Niels - NHSN said:

I have added another lens to my collection of 50's:

This time the short nosed Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AIS - the very plasticky export version. But compact, light and no doubt as good as any of Nikon's 50/1.8's. This weekend I will try to find out with the lens mounted on my F3 loaded with a roll of Kodak Gold 200.

Nikon F3 with a short nosed 50mm 1.8 AIS

The lens was a gift, and I probably wouldn't have sought it out otherwise as I already own the long nosed version.

I call this the "Snub Nose" Nikkor. Very compact, very incognito looking. Elegant photo, Niels! 

• Like 2

I've recently acquired a 35-105mm lens for the Yashica 230-AF system, and I'll be using it this coming weekend. The 230-AF was not a commercial success, and it bears a (suspiciously) close resemblance to it's contemporary, the Minolta 7000, right down to an almost identical lens mount. However, the Kyocera lenses, think Contax, are superb, both in build and performance.

Yashica230-AFcopy.jpg.718a04d25e709c2a56129670434f5e1c.jpg

• Like 6