4,952 topics in this forum

• 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 4k views
  1. Olympus Pen F vs FT vs FV body differences?

• 8 replies
    • 5.7k views
    • 15 replies
    • 5.9k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 3.1k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 15 replies
    • 14.4k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.1k views
    • 27 replies
    • 5.4k views
    • 7 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 17 replies
    • 7.9k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 26 replies
    • 4.6k views
    • 7 replies
    • 1.4k views
  2. New Olympus OM-1

• 6 replies
    • 1.9k views
  3. No more Olympus?

• 5 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 10 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.8k views
    • 7 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 6 replies
    • 5.5k views

• Recent Gallery Images

• Recent Forum Wide Posts

• Thanks for clearing that up, it was not very obvious from the interface. I felt like stabilization was better with the non-VR 85mm lens than the VR zoom, but it might have just been a misperception.   So I suppose I am not able to use the "sport" mode with the 70-200 f/4G lens then? That lens does have a normal/active switch on it, but I think that active mode on the lens is different from the sport mode available in the body. My understanding is that "active" is to be used when the photographer is on a moving platform, such as a vehicle, while the in body "sport" mode is used for panning moving subjects, where normal mode would try to correct for the panning motion and result in jittery frame movement. If the camera menu item is greyed out and disabled while using a lens that has a VR switch on it, it is not possible to select between normal and sport mode on the IBIS.
    • I also find the Arca-Swiss plates to be slightly uncomfortable when hand-holding (sharpish corners). Some of my A-S "compatible" products do not physically fit or lock across brands. And finally, last summer I got a DJI gimbal for video. Does it use the  Arca-Swiss plates for mounting the camera? No, it does not, it comes with its own, incompatible, plate.
    • It isn't really. If you want the best stability for your long lens, you need to use a fluid head and among those brands (Sachtler, Cartoni, Manfrotto) who make fluid heads for video cameras the Arca-Swiss plate is not commonly used. I would venture a guess that worldwide, even for still photography some kind of Manfrotto plate is probably the most common, but things may have changed somewhat with the many Chinese Arca-Swiss compatible brands. 10-15 years ago there was no camera store in my country who stocked Arca-Swiss compatible heads and most even didn't know what it was. Now, with the numerous less expensive tripod brands adopting Arca-Swiss compatible QR systems, they are finally available here as well. But Arca-Swiss themselves now make incompatible heads where the plate was slightly modified so that the typical "compatible" plates and feet cannot be mounted. I would say the situation with tripod plates is as chaotic as it has ever been. But the really limiting factor for Arca-Swiss becoming an universal standard is that very few fluid heads use it. And Arca-Swiss doesn't seem to want a standard based on their old plates, either.