Olympus Om-2 Mirror Lock-up

steve_bellayr

I am posting this topic as I ran across this problem recently and could not find a direct answer on one site.  Normally, I am not an Olympus user (Nikon & Leica) but I do have a pristine OM-2 (thanks to the 90's digital era when film cameras were being discarded).

The mirror in my OM-2 locked up.  Try this solution:

1. replace batteries.  low or dead batteries will cause this

2. after replacing batteries do mirror check to determine if the new batteries are working

3. at the bottom of the camera below the lens there is a "switch".  Press it in and switch to bulb.  This is the final step and necessary.

It worked for me.  If you have a mirror lock up try it before discarding the camera or sending it out for repair.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 6:39 PM, steve_bellayr said:

One more issue I discovered with the OM-2.  I use eye cups on all my cameras.  The OM-2 eye cup will block the back from opening.  The eye cup must be lifted (or removed) for the back to open.  

I think that must be an issue on most cameras. It certainly is on Nikon but I can't really imagine an effective eye cup that wouldn't protrude beyond the rear door. Are you talking about the severity of the issue?

Niels