theaudiodoc

The lens on my 60s vintage Olympus Trip 35 is loose, a problem I think

not uncommon for these cameras. The mounting hardware is located

behind the plastic film holder on the die cast chassis. However the

screws that hold the film holder are behind the black metal front

panels. I can't see how these panels are attached. I am thinking

they may have some type of double-sided tape. Does anyone know? I

don?t want to force them off and risk damage. Also I have been unable

to locate a service manual for this camera. Does anyone have a source?

43.5 mm filters: Have any trip 35 owners used filters for this

camera? I'm wondering about vignetting, especially with step-up

rings, as 43.5mm filters are rare now-a-days.

Thanks,

Kelly

These camera are so cheap these days that if a major problem occur (shows on pictures), just get another one.

Since the filter ring is outside the light meter, vignetting is almost impossible. The worst a ring could do is cut some light to the meter and surexpose your photos. Easy to compensate with ISO setting.

I just got a 43.5mm orange filter for mine. A great find since i will use it only in B&W. What is probably mighty rare is a shade to screw on that filter.

Thanks Francois,

Good point about the filter ring!

"These camera are so cheap these days that if a major problem occur (shows on pictures), just get another one".

Of course! And I did -- but my object is to make a simple repair without destroying my camera, which won't cost me anything -- just a little time and perseverance.

Why you might ask? This little Trip 35 was given to me by my Dad for Christmas, 1968. It was my first new camera (non hand-me-down). I'm a technical person, and craftsman -- so I am determined to fix this simple problem. I own many cameras. I have many options for taking pictures. I'm going to be patient with this one. Hopefully I will eventually find the answer to my questions.

Just doing my homework you know!

• 18 years later...
On 8/16/2004 at 4:57 AM, theaudiodoc said:

Thanks Francois,

Good point about the filter ring!

"These camera are so cheap these days that if a major problem occur (shows on pictures), just get another one".

Of course! And I did -- but my object is to make a simple repair without destroying my camera, which won't cost me anything -- just a little time and perseverance.

Why you might ask? This little Trip 35 was given to me by my Dad for Christmas, 1968. It was my first new camera (non hand-me-down). I'm a technical person, and craftsman -- so I am determined to fix this simple problem. I own many cameras. I have many options for taking pictures. I'm going to be patient with this one. Hopefully I will eventually find the answer to my questions.

Just doing my homework you know!

Hi there, 

I was wondering if there is some news about this specific problem since the last post. 
it would be very helpful!

Best regards,  Vincenzo 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, michael_frangos said:

Kelly

Maybe this will help: 

It's VERY important to mark the position of the lens before you unscrew it.

Good luck!

Michael

+1

@Vincenzo In the video, it is around 2:00. You must make a mark so you can reposition the front group when you reassemble. If not, I wouldn't know how to achieve correct focus again.

Before doing a deep dive, I would see a couple of videos. Some people are so comfortable disassembling these cameras that they don't always remember to mention the critical points that is needed to know for a first timer.

• Like 1
Niels

• 2 weeks later...

It is sometimes said that if you disassemble a lens enough times, at the end you will have enough parts left over to build a second one. 🙂

The problem is not usually getting the thing apart -- the problem is getting it back together in working condition

• Very Nice 1