OM2 program - winding on twice?

davidbrown57

Hi, I gave my daughter's boyfriend an OM2 Program for Christmas. Great looking camera. But he has just put the first film through it and says that intermittently he has to wind the film on twice before the shutter is cocked. I have just developed his first film and can see what he means. Don't have the camera with me but any ideas what may be causing this? Cheers David

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-12 at 15.39.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-11 at 21.36.34 (1).jpeg

The earlier Olympus OM-1 was known to have issues with the winding crank slipping sometimes and requiring a second stroke (camera repair author Thomas Tomosy calls the design a "non-ratcheting winding ratchet," which operates by friction). He says that cleaning the mechanism usually works, but sometimes the ratchet claws get worn and need to be re-ground.

Not sure if the same design was carried over with the OM-2SP, but if so it could be the problem.

Edited by m42dave

Found this

https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/forum/cameras-lenses-and-system-accessories/nostalgia-nexus-early-and-pre-digital-discussion/42225-olympus-om2-sp-firing-blanks

Camera is in very good condition. Looks almost unused. Perhaps that is part of the problem. Think will just play with it and see if a bit of use sorts it out. The other thing they mention is using the multiple exposure button to get another go!

Might even take the bottom off the see if their is any dust/grime - perhaps little squire of WD40??

I have got another one that works that will swap with him anyway

On 2/16/2024 at 11:48 PM, m42dave said:

(camera repair author Thomas Tomosy calls the design a "non-ratcheting winding ratchet," which operates by friction).

This suggests extra lubricant won't help (although WD40 is a water dispersant rather than a lubricant). By all means pop off the baseplate and try and narrow down the problem. Just watch out for any loose bits which might fall out.

• 2 weeks later...