The iPhone photographer

Yes, he is a very special photographer, he uses a iPhone. And yes, the majority of photographs are taken with a iPhone.

iPhone photographers are very special ....they do not need a camera.. Because they are used by   special extra boring folk who think train spotters are mad folk taking steroids'.

I cannot think of anything more boring than taking a photo with a iPhone, or, perhaps, watching paint dry... Okay, maybe knitting,  particularly the cross stich. 

Edited by Allen Herbert
  • Like 1

And there we are -- an iTroll?!  😁

When possible, I use the closest thing I have to the right tool for the job I'm trying to do. And in the last few years I have produced still images with gear ranging from Minox to 8x10 pinhole using film, and I electrocute bits with gear from DSLR to P&S to mirror-less, and yes, iPhone. Some of my latest entertainment involved video of a 400 ton steam locomotive in operation, taken with my iPhone 13 Pro and it did a pretty impressive job. When I find it boring, I'll stop. (And my cameras don't offer me maps, or voice directions for navigation!!! Or -- heaven forfend -- the ability to make phone calls. 🤪  )

(Yeah, OK I shouldn't encourage trolls ... )

• Like 1

With so many smartphones worldwide taking billions of photos a day, I am sure a few 100,000 of them are quite good.   Frankly, I am bored by folks worrying about what types of cameras people use, and much rather look at the results. 

With or without carrying a so called legitimate camera with me, it is nice to always have a very capable device in my pocket that can also be used to make phone calls, find a restaurant, or summon an Uber.

• Like 2

"I'm glad you got that off your chest." Alan

Thought of a a good idea to wake up some folks. who snooze a lot.

400 ton steam locomotive in operation, taken with my iPhone 13 Pro and it did a pretty impressive job "Dave.

499 ton locomotive and a slippery iPhone ...well done. I tend to drop mine a lot, the slippery bar of soap. Replacement costs go up every few months...drop mine too much; methinks, I've already bought a Leica in replacement cost if you follow my meaning.

Hey ho, I've got a iPhone who needs a Leica.

" rather look at the results. 

With or without carrying a so called legitimate camera with me, it is nice to always have a very capable device in my pocket that can also be used to make phone calls" Ken.

Yes, Ken, I agree its about the results. However, I like some sort of control of my photographic device...not too keen on a slippery bar of soap either.

"used to make phone calls, find a restaurant, or summon an Uber" Ken.

Soon they will be able to wipe your arse, ken without toilet paper. How happy will you be. Personally, I like a device dedicated to taking quality photos with superior handling compared to a bar of soap. Might add little tidily pixel pixels.

Edited by Allen Herbert

Image, one day you woke up and there was not any smart phones or auto focus cameras.

Just a manual cameras like a Rolliflex.. Would your photographs be lesser? Would your enjoyment of photography be lesser? Would the quality of your photographs be lesser. Methinks not.

Indeed, maybe you would think as opposed to being a button presser..

The greats unfortunately could not summon a Uber...but really what has that got to do with the Art of Photography?

Musing..

image.jpeg.e9a29d47277a40f75e41e9893017d388.jpeg

22 hours ago, Allen Herbert said:

499 ton locomotive and a slippery iPhone ...well done. I tend to drop mine a lot, the slippery bar of soap. Replacement costs go up every few months...drop mine too much; methinks, I've already bought a Leica in replacement cost if you follow my meaning.

I think we all experience those concerns, I know I do. That's why I bought an adapter that clamps across the phone and allows mounting it on a tripod. (Someone commented after seeing the video "Wow, you have a steady hand!") When I rode one of the excursions, I acquired a hefty knurled grip to put on the clamp, added a D-ring to the bottom of the grip and hooked on an adjustable wrist strap:

_G11247_iPhone_VideoRig_LensSide.jpg

You can sample some video out there in cyberspace.

Edited by dave_thomas8

2 hours ago, JDMvW said:

Early Spring Tourism at Yellowstone.

WY-Yellowstone.jpg.5eae411550b0e677062b03dfc9640177.jpg

A very high percentage of visitors were using phones. Many --like this example-- using selfie sticks.

Whenever I see single girls using selfie sticks I feel like they're lonely being by themselves.  Sometimes I'll offer to take their pictures, especially if they're cute. 

Edited by AlanKlein
clarification :)

33 minutes ago, AlanKlein said:

Whenever I see single girls using selfie sticks I feel like they're lonely being by themselves.

Quite a projection. The woman in the picture may be alone only for the moment. Very possible a friend or a partner is not far off while she's taken a few steps to take the selfie. And single women are likely no lonelier than single men. Many single people have chosen to be single and are close with family and friends and not lonely at all. A friend once said something interesting to me, that there's nothing lonelier than feeling alone in a relationship, which happens not infrequently. Selfies at this point are so ubiquitous that drawing such a conclusion from seeing someone take a selfie defies credulity. It's nice of you to offer to take a picture, but don't project your biases and judgments on the person you're offering. Taking a selfie is a thing, and many won't want someone else taking their picture. They want to be photographer and subject. 

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

it is not so much the tool but the effort put forth."mjferron.

Yes, it is always about the final image. 

But don't you think that final image would be enhanced by a quality dedicated camera and lens? Or, just the enjoyment of using one?.

Of course we all think of Photography as a Art. But is there not a Art in beautifully designed tools? Is it so lesser in the photographers mind ?

Think, the Supermarine Spitfire, which inspired the pilots who flew them as Art and Art joined together.  It is well documented that pilots loved flying them, and inspired them. in the way of. Art which inspires us all.

Edited by Allen Herbert

There’s a reason Walker Evans and André Kertész shot Polaroids, even when they had access to “better” cameras. “Beautiful” doesn’t always refer to traditional or classical notions of beauty. Photography is sometimes after something else. While their use of Polaroids is revealing and even revelatory, condescending rants about others’ approach to photography or art or use of iPhones are also revealing, though not terribly revelatory. 

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

"There’s a reason Walker Evans" Sam.

Indeed, there was a reason. Unfortunately, not to your understanding.

He was attracted to the polaroid SX camera's small design and instant prints. Why, he was in poor health at the time and it required no tedious lab work. 

Note, he was attracted to the camera's elegant design.

"Which just goes to show that good photographers may use any camera they want for any reason they want" Sam.

However, due to your lack of understanding, or, perhaps just reading your own posts....

I have constantly, repeated, constantly ,that for me its about, the final image regardless of whatever photographic tool used. But you know this, but you like to play simplistic silly games to show off, to your mates .. Sort of sad like a Politics.....faggerdly. . 

The smart phone has replaced the p/s cameras for folks who just wont to press a button. Sort of like folks wanting a quick meal from a Mac Donald's.

Nothing wrong with that.

Of, course from my understanding, my mate Sam, uses a high end Canon for his local exhibition prints.

Edited by Allen Herbert

2 hours ago, Allen Herbert said:

I have constantly, repeated, constantly ,that for me its about, the final image regardless of whatever photographic tool used.

And yet you begin a thread with a rant about iPhone usage. Right, it’s all about the image for you. Haha. 

"You talkin' to me?"

^"Perfect photo for an iPhone. Sam

Not sure what you mean by a perfect photo for a iPhone. Does a iPhone have special qualities other devices do not have? pray do tell Mr. high-end Camera user;))

Okay, you can take a call from your mum. Got me there.

Think, Rx100 or something:;  fits into your pocket with a lot more photographic control over your images, and superior image quality.

Just a thought.

Edited by Allen Herbert

On 9/27/2023 at 1:05 PM, samstevens said:

Quite a projection. The woman in the picture may be alone only for the moment. Very possible a friend or a partner is not far off while she's taken a few steps to take the selfie. And single women are likely no lonelier than single men. Many single people have chosen to be single and are close with family and friends and not lonely at all. A friend once said something interesting to me, that there's nothing lonelier than feeling alone in a relationship, which happens not infrequently. Selfies at this point are so ubiquitous that drawing such a conclusion from seeing someone take a selfie defies credulity. It's nice of you to offer to take a picture, but don't project your biases and judgments on the person you're offering. Taking a selfie is a thing, and many won't want someone else taking their picture. They want to be photographer and subject. 

I don't know.  If the girl was with someone, they'd have their friend shoot them, or selfie both of them.  In any case, I'm talking about people who look like they're really all alone, on vacation traveling or whatever.  I enjoy offering to take their pictures.  Often, when there are a number of people like a family, and one parent is taking shots of the rest of the family, I offer to shoot all of them. I do my best to really get a memorable picture and it's much appreciated by them.  I feel good about it too.