The iPhone photographer

1 hour ago, mikemorrellNL said:

It's difficult for me to believe that this thread has now been running for about 6 months. I humbly suggest that anyone who wants to post a photo taken with a mobile phone does so at the forum 'Phone and Mobile'. 

What if, on the other hand, people are interested in discussing ideas behind the use of different cameras and their effects on photographers and photos?

Yes, many of the philosophy threads, going back decades on this site, have stayed active for months. It seems to be their nature. Given the lack of current activity on PN, I would think a thread remaining active would be welcome (certainly easily ignored if one isn’t interested).

No one needs to participate. The simple solution to not appreciating the continuation of a thread that interests and invites participation from others is to change the channel.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Mike, since it can be easily interpreted that you are talking at me let me explain to you why i chose this thread to post my iphone pic.k.
For almost 50 years I have been compiling a self portrait X3 on my birthday with many different formats. This year I used only my iPhone. So since this discussion is currently active I felt it was appropriate.

Understandably you may feel that 6 months is a long time for a topic to be rehashed. It is. So what? Maybe you could just start something fresher. 
.me I like open ended photography discussions without time limits imposed.

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

21 hours ago, samstevens said:

What if, on the other hand, people are interested in discussing ideas behind the use of different cameras and their effects on photographers and photos?

Yes, many of the philosophy threads, going back decades on this site, have stayed active for months. It seems to be their nature. Given the lack of current activity on PN, I would think a thread remaining active would be welcome (certainly easily ignored if one isn’t interested).

No one needs to participate. The simple solution to not appreciating the continuation of a thread that interests and invites participation from others is to change the channel.

I stand corrected!

15 hours ago, inoneeye said:

Mike, since it can be easily interpreted that you are talking at me let me explain to you why i chose this thread to post my iphone pic.k.
For almost 50 years I have been compiling a self portrait X3 on my birthday with many different formats. This year I used only my iPhone. So since this discussion is currently active I felt it was appropriate.

Understandably you may feel that 6 months is a long time for a topic to be rehashed. It is. So what? Maybe you could just start something fresher. 
.me I like open ended photography discussions without time limits imposed.

@inoneeye, please believe me that my comment was not directed towards any member, least of all you! I fully accept your and @samstevens's comments. I stand corrected.

FWIW, I have no problem with 'extended discussions'. My comment was solely motivated by the number of mobile phone 'photo examples' I saw on this thread without any accompanying comments.

I'll refrain from commenting further.

Posted (edited)

. "My comment was solely motivated by the number of mobile phone 'photo examples' I saw on this thread without any accompanying comments" Mike.

Actually, I'm the guilty party. This is the Philosophy forum, so when you post a photograph it should be in the context of the discussion, with some prose to explain why you have posted it. This is not a No Words forum.  Posts on the Philosophy tend to meander to different paths. 

To my mind the creative thoughts, the wandering off the beaten track, is the joy of the Philosophy forum.

Time does not have to be linear. Indeed, in our universe it is not linear.

Edited by Allen Herbert
  • Like 1

Stop evaluating the tools.  They don't count for anything.  Look at the image and forget what tool was used to make it.  It doesn't matter.  There are only two kinds of photographs - the interesting kind and the boring kind.   If the photograph is interesting it doesn't matter how it was made.

Edited by steve_swinehart
  • Yes! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I use an icamera to get an idea for a composition, to give me a place in which I can return. My biz is 99% digital, but I have resolved never to print my own work from my fancy epson. Anything digital inherently suggests post- work, and I see that those who do print have fun with their HDL and curves and saturation. 

I strictly shoot b/w, process 35mm120mm or sheet film. True, any film shot requires post work, but much more satisfying than pushing buttons.

IMG_4462.jpeg

• Very Nice 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

"but much more satisfying than pushing buttons" Chris.-Autio

So many folks on this post have dismissed the Art of Craft and design as totally irrelevant in the Art of Photography. 

However, without the Art of design, and the Imagination to create such designs, we would be still just scribbling and painting on cave walls.

Hmm.

Edited by Allen Herbert