The iPhone photographer

Maybe someone can say differently but I feel much of what I shoot is in the same straightforward sort of documentary style. 
So does it matter if I shoot with a phone set to RAW, one of my digital cameras, or one of my film cameras? 

It matters to me! I’ve arrived using the film cameras to get The Look I get from film, using whatever lens on whichever camera. The shots from digital cameras and phone end up being much the same, maybe the big difference between them being file size? 

Another thought, maybe it’s the lenses that give me The Look I love. All my cameras have nice lenses, most of which are old or vintage- but even the 100% modern Voigtlander lenses (some of which are based on historic design & engineering) deliver excellent and pleasing results. 

Here are 2 recents. One is a scan, shot on 35mm film, using a vintage camera & lens. The other is a phone pic. Minimal post processing (on my part) on either. Can you tell which is which?  Objectively, who prefers which, and why? 

IMG_8826.jpeg.d03a77aea2da9d6987db241051e17538.jpeg

_26_0905.jpeg.43960a3d06c618f99f17de5e0f3d5641.jpeg

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • On Point 1

I lean toward the car wash, but for reasons having zero to do with what gear it was taken with. I like the lighting and the repetitive shapes filling the frame.

The quonset hut full of graffiti certainly has a familiar gritty industrial feel (but then I believe we both live in eastern Pennsylvania! 😅 )

I think it was somewhere on these forums where a thread appeared about regret over cameras sold. I chuckled because I still own every camera I ever bought, although a couple of them no longer work. And the total isn't very many, some currently in use are 40, 50, 60 years old. I can understand if people are professionals dealing with demanding clients, or work related to science/technology stuff one might need the ultimate possible capabilities at any given time. But me, nah, images are images!

Edited by dave_thomas8
  • Like 1

Hi @dave_thomas8 Thanks, and you're close- I live near Harrisburg, so not exactly "eastern". If you're ever out this way, give a shout, if I'm around (ie not working) I'll buy you a beverage of your choice.

Allen, I agree that by now it almost doesn't matter how a photo is taken. Certainly not to the vast numbers of folks merrily & meticulously documenting every detail of their lives with their phones.

But to some of us, the journey, the process, our relationship with our cameras, matters. Are we the Last Of The Troglodytes. clinging desperately to our outdated cameras, lenses, and trappings of "traditional" photography? Judging by the booming business my friend wh owns the film camera shop Retro Photo Reading (in Reading PA, if it's not obvious) is doing....

perhaps not.  

Edited by Ricochetrider

1 hour ago, Ricochetrider said:

But to some of us, the journey, the process, our relationship with our cameras, matters. Are we the Last Of The Troglodytes. clinging desperately to our outdated cameras

Nah. Don't worry about it.

Also know that for some serious photographers, their iPhones are as much a part of their journey, process and relationship to their cameras as the older cameras are to those who are keen on using them. Again, I'm with you that most people use iPhones to document their lunches out. But there are some really good photographers out there using iPhones the very way they used to use their older cameras back in the day and just as in tune with how their iPhones handle and what they can offer.

The pictures speak for themselves. The process, in addition to vision, inspiration, and passion, is part of the secret behind the picture. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Yeah Sam, agreed. A compelling image has its own strengths so why would its origins matter.

To your point, one friend of mine who has a photography degree travels around the world quite a lot by motorcycle, historically traveling with at least one camera and a couple lenses in his kit.

Last couple laps he’s made, just around the U.S., he used only his iPhone to document the trip. He stayed with us when he came through here in September and “learnt me” a few things about shooting with the phone cam. 

1 hour ago, Ricochetrider said:

why would its origins matter

I think the origin often does matter to the photographer. The journey matters, including how one relates to their equipment and how that equipment may affect how they see. It can matter to some viewers as well, who want to look beneath the surface and understand more about the photographer behind the picture. Understanding more about the photographer behind the picture may well affect how one looks at the picture. I can appreciate a pic about which I know nothing. I'm often amazed how differently I may see a pic once I've read something about the photographer. The new understanding of the pic doesn't really supplant my original take on it. Often the two together simply form a deeper experience, not competing with each other, but informing and supporting each other.

I understand that to those who think a pic must stand on its own, this is heresy. Good for them. 😊 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

I don't think it is limited to the evolving technological pro and con differences. I am captivated by the ability of the mobile camera phone to expand creativity.
Cameras.camera technology... photography and image capture are evolving. At the same time photo(s) takers-makers are also evolving... in part thanks to availability of new technologies. For some the camera phone is a new.ish tool for expressing in new ways. Digital phone cameras may not differ from other digital cameras as much as digital to film or film to daguerreotype but it is notable for me in a similar fashion that instant cameras had.
When i started using button pushing polaroids it opened me to finding a creative voice that was new and vibrant to me. Taking a polaroid was indeed simple... a snapshot. and it self processed unaided (or not). But in some photographers hands it was unique and glorious. The camera phone can also be a journey worth exploring.

• On Point 1

n e y e

@inoneeye, I was thinking of you and your photos when writing my last couple of posts. When I mentioned folks using iPhones to document today’s lunch, I had to laugh. Because I see, in your newer work, an exploration of a lot of what might otherwise appear as everyday (even mundane) scenes and situations. You manage to find and then imbue them with an atmospheric voice transcending but still honoring the everyday nature of them. Eggleston did something similar (very differently) in a glossier and more subject-object oriented way, but certainly was also a product (and mover) of his era and culture. You’re doing it, I think, with a darker, less literal side and an edge, and with your own brand of oppositionalism. Often, there’s that feeling of immediacy of moment and recognition that seems so in tune with the iPhone. As if we’re looking really at a snapshot with unexpected reach and depth. There’s a play of casualness against a more thoughtful narrative and style that become even more perceptible and felt when viewing various groupings or series of the work. The poetry of the midday digital sandwich, and a crow.

• Like 1
  • Very Nice 1

"You talkin' to me?"

oppositionalism that is a mouthful. It got me thinking about my knee jerk reaction to my first experiences with a phone camera. It was negative, pessimistic. Until I decided to not let the camera control me. I began to explore how I could put it to use creatively. It opened the doors.
Not unlike a Polaroid camera (point shoot and self processed) I found that a mobile phone or Polaroid by some photographers can be used to make unique and glorious images. 
i am finishing the prints for my latest folio book. It is dominated by ‘iPhone’ images. During the editing I found myself going back to some of the first phone camera photos I took… very low res. I am finding that with some thoughtful post craft they play well with the high IQ photos I am also using. I am not masking the phone look, I am using it. The rhythm that it sets is of my intent. There is a notable alliteration in content and characteristics that fits the narrative seamlessly. This is thanks to the iPhone.

• Like 1

n e y e

"Not unlike a Polaroid camera (point shoot and self processed) I found that a mobile phone or Polaroid by some photographers can be used to make unique and glorious images" Inoneeye. 

They are very much a software driven device with a tiny sensor, no viewfinder, and without any form of handling qualities. You cannot even see the screen in the smallest amount of sunlight.

"unique and glorious" Inoneeye.

Oh wow. Oh wow. Always wanted to visit fairy land, seems a place you can visit when you eat special foods.. Simplistic software easily emulated in any decent software editing tool. 

Yes, you can take great photos with any device!  And yes, you have taken photos with your photo copier. 

Manufactories have spent many years creating cameras with good handling qualities, large sensors, and high quality lenses., fast autofocus. Let us throw all that into the bin just for the sake of convenience , simplicity .

Indeed, let us all be happy with takeaway food,; why bother to cook or go to a restaurant. .

Edited by Allen Herbert

1 minute ago, Allen Herbert said:

Let us throw all that into the bin

It's all or nothing! As if someone's creative, imaginative, and exciting use of a cell phone camera means throwing everything else in the bin. Some people, those with even the tiniest bit of depth and open-mindedness, can walk and chew gum at the same time, can enjoy seriously using a cell phone camera while also recognizing and still using more refined cameras at other times and in a variety of situations. 

"You talkin' to me?"

Last time I tried to use my Smart phone was a confrontation between a Magpie and Paragon Falcon, over a carcass.. The Magpie was not backing down indeed very belligerent. 

Then my phone rang and they both flew away. Hey Ho.

"can walk and chew gum at the same time," Sam.

Indeed, I pass on the chewing gum thing.

"more refined cameras at other times and in a variety of situations. Sam

In all situations.

Edited by Allen Herbert

I do not believe in limiting myself, or my efforts, by restricting my options. This not only applies across the board but it specifically applies to shooting photographs. In my world, shooting photos happens with a variety of equipment: film & digital cameras, and my phone. If  I had to state an order of priority, my phone camera would be at the bottom of the list, in last place.

I wouldnt say that the camera makes that big a difference, pre se- I believe lenses do make a difference, and I also believe that difference can be seen in teh 2 recent photos I posted here.   

Edited by Ricochetrider

20 hours ago, Ricochetrider said:

I do not believe in limiting myself, or my efforts, by restricting my options.

Sounds liberating. Interestingly, of course, some folks do choose self-imposed restrictions, not necessarily because they think other ways and means of doing things are unworthy, but because it inspires them. Hitchcock intentionally shot Rope as if it was a single take and intentionally never left the lifeboat in the movie with that title. I went through a period of going out to shoot only with my 50mm lens because I wanted to find out what it would be like to see scenes with that kind of lens for a while. Though I restricted myself, materially, it opened me up to many possibilities. I think both the motivation for and results of such restrictions mean a great deal.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

On 12/15/2023 at 1:03 PM, Allen Herbert said:

Last time I tried to use my Smart phone was a confrontation between a Magpie and Paragon Falcon, over a carcass.. The Magpie was not backing down indeed very belligerent. 

Then my phone rang and they both flew away. Hey Ho.

"can walk and chew gum at the same time," Sam.

Indeed, I pass on the chewing gum thing.

"more refined cameras at other times and in a variety of situations. Sam

In all situations.

Silence that phone🤫lol.