Your favorite SLR

sim_m

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>If I could choose only one, the Olympus OM-1. Simple, compact and unsurpassed portability with a kit featuring the 49mm filter thread sized Zuikos. The same bags that once comfortably accommodated my entire OM-1 and Zuiko kit of four lenses plus accessories will barely hold my FM2N and two Nikkors. The slight difference in barrel diameter translates to a huge difference in terms of portability. And with the much fatter and heavier autofocus lenses... fuggedabowdit.</p>

<p>Runners up: Nikon FM2N, Canon FTbn.</p>

<p>Olympus E-1 a la 2004 and since, and for much longer time, my Canon F-1. I liked the defined manual metering area to lock on to a medium gray tone. I enjoyed the heft and quality and elegant feel of the F-1 original and all the goodies that came out to support that first ever top to bottom modular pro Canon. At the time,recall, Nikon had a clunky FTN finder as I remememver and the lenses had to ve rotated in the mount to get the adustment for the f stop right, it worked well enough and was a fine system but it didn't have the style of the Canon nor hand balance. My liitle personal take on your Q.</p>

<p><em>The best camera is the one you have with you.</em> -- Chase Jarvis...</p>

<p>but that's not what you asked is it? I loved my Nikon FM to death. I liked it's simplicity of use and it's reliability (It replaced my second favorite, an old Nikormat which i had bought second hand in 1974 this was a real workhorse, the Timex of Nikon: "it takes a beating and keeps on clicking...") I bought the FM circa 1978 and I still own it although i haven't used it since picking up a DSLR. On the other hand i also own a F4 which i barely used. I just found it too complicated for my taste. But of course compared to todays DSLR it was a very simple camera...</p>

<p>Asahi Spotmatic then my Nikon F's. Prefer the Photomic Head that actually still works..Then my new F3. Yes! I still shoot film. But maybe not much longer unless I scan myself.Actual results? The Nikon-F way ahead of any of my many cameras..many gifts.All my portfolio work and exhibition stuff, The "F"'s. Coming in close now my point and shoot digitals,my pro cameras..</p>

<p>Nikon F for it's longevity, and total absence of electronics. I still have one. I did like the F80 (N80 in the US), though. That was a really well-behaved, practical 35 mm SLR, with a nice feel. Ultimately though, all-mechanical lives forever.</p>

<p>I would take any all-mechanical 35 mm SLR. I loved my Pentaxes too (SP1000, K2, MX, K1000)... anything that doesn't have a zoom lens hanging on it.</p>