The Future of Photo.net

just go

I also really enjoy the various discussions on the use , repair and maintenance of older Photographic equipment , together with examples of what the older equipment can do :).

t done reading a thread where someone asked a simple question and was ripped apart because he couldnt provide "relevant source data" from sources "trusted by the naysayer members" despite them posting an article from Kodak that proved what the OP was saying

just go

t done reading a thread where someone asked a simple question and was ripped apart because he couldnt provide "relevant source data" from sources "trusted by the naysayer members" despite them posting an article from Kodak that proved what the OP was saying

And then there's that. Something to be cleaned up in the rollout of PN3.0

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Thanks for your insightful (and experienced) feedback! Yes, I agree that it's impossible to 'merge' subforums. I guess what I meant is to review :

- how many top-level sub-forums the Equipment forum needs

- how we use the 'Equipment' sub-forums

Some sub-forums mainly discuss, well, equipment. Others host weekly threads of photos taken with some brand/type of equipment. While the equipment (camera/lens) is important info. I get the feeling that somehow, I don't get to see a lot of good photos because they're posted in Equipment sub-forums that don't directly apply to me. Maybe that's just due to the frequency and the way I use PN. Or due to the sub-forums I 'watch'.

I fully realize that all members are completely free to post and reply to any threads in any sub-forum. And that forums are (ideally) adjusted to meet the needs and requests of members. Not being a 'camera tech' guy, I would personally prefer images to be posted under 'Images' or 'Practice and Technique' with tags related to the equipment used. I'm not suggesting that when transitioning to a new platform subforums or past posts are somehow merged. But a smaller number of top-level sub-forums (for example, Film, Digital, Mobile, Accessories, Lighting, ...) might make the Equipment forum more easily accessible. With sub-sub-forums per brand. As far as I can tell, a number of brands sell medium- and large-format cameras so, depending on the content they could remain as separate sub-forums or be moved as a sub-forum of Film.

Mike

Hi Mike, hope that you and yours are doing well in these trying times! We seem to have a kindred spirit in our B&W people's visions...

We sure are an intimate lot. Sometimes we seem in the throes of separation--or a bad family reunion.

I see that you jumped on board in 2007--so I know you have enjoyed many personalities here--and have been through some losses and changes.

I mostly want to comment on the red highlighted sentence in your post. What we are likely looking at in future "improvements" from a marketing and interest perspective is appealing to the "target audience" Fivver has identified a monied population that will likely be drawn to the thrust of your idea--the differing genres of photography. There are a whole lot of identified reasons this works within the 20-40-year-old crowd that is used to hashtags (expect them), blurbs, and linear bubbled "snacks." If you know any web developers they can inform you further!

My conclusion about knowledge seekers is this. There are three types of people (yeah, I know, a hasty unsupported generalization) in the world. The first make their lunch. The second expects their lunch to be made. The third simply doesn't care. We will leave the latter behind--as they only appear for a post or two and disappear. I am sure that the second category will be well provisioned with the growth of Creative Live content. But what about some of the rest of us?

When I restructured all of the boards on QRZ.com, much thought and community input were solicited. It is relatively impossible to reduce and conflate a variety of technical knowledge from several boards into one--unless one merges and defines purpose in a way that is accessible to the seeker. Yes, I think that a couple of our "equipment" boards could be combined--under a more broad rubric of allowable and cogent discussion for the topic.

This does not mean eliminating too many technical boards--but conflating, renaming, and repurposing threads is a thing to be looked at. What really remains for our consideration is whatever discussion platform that this forum is transferred to. Right now, we have a bad implementation of what appears to be Innovision. It never was a platform for showing art on the front end--and would have cost more than the CheapName owners were willing to invest to make it do so. We would have then arrived at a custom platform (ala Phil) that would have been problematic to maintain in the future.

Hopefully, we will still have a recognizable forum in which to make our lunch after all is said and done...

Not at all where it started. It started with your gratuitous insults, regarding a question I had about a camera bag. Its continued with a private message from you saying "I piss on people like you." That's what I call an unbalanced mind. And Gobtalk? What's that about?

That is merely proof that photo.net is like anyother forum website.

I see.

At one time, I believed that the worst of things lived in the "Philosophy" board. It doesn't take very long to make a review and learn that it should be properly named "The Toad Jar." These were my thoughts of several years ago--and the spillover from that and the colossal failure of PN2.0 sent me away for likely a year now.

Oh, and has anyone noticed (or worse, been on the receiving end) when Toad Jar denizens are not content to sling scat about there--but follow the object of their scat slinging into other benign boards? It's a real treat!

At the risk of being seen as playing out a logical fallacy [argumentum ab auctoritate], I offer this bit of observation.

In an earlier life, I had published and administered several fora that ranged in size between several hundred, and several thousand members. I learned a great deal about handling problems--and still contribute regularly to the Admin Zone forum administrators group. Another of my expensive hobbies is amateur radio, and for many years belonged to the largest ham radio interest site in the world--QRZ.com.

That site averages 850K members at any given time--with an average of 600 signed-in members and 400 guests online throughout the day. I quote these metrics to throw light on how certain problems here on PN were magnified tenfold on QRZ! The forum was in trouble, membership (especially including PAID) was dropping, and the overall quality of the site slipping. I was asked by the forum owner to become the general manager and clean up the mess.

It took six months, 28 permabans, and 4 members reported and dealt with by their local ISP's. Membership at the end of the year had grown by 17%, and subscriptions to the forum and callsign database up by 23%. Attitude and disposition of members does matter. It makes me sad to think of the many people I used to enjoy interacting with here leave because of the nonsense. Sandy and I had several conversations about this a little over a year ago--and that's when I decided to stop supporting PN financially and just drift off. My current view is not awe-inspiring...

Ludmilla, I just don't get your response--whether in jest or seriousness. There seems far too much of the wrong color Koolaide being passed around these days.

if youd look at the stats for pn.... youd probably see 1,000 people on the site on any given day, but maybe 10 people creating or replying to a thread... and those people would be the only ones doing so for a week.

Ludmilla, I just don't get your response--whether in jest or seriousness. There seems far too much of the wrong color Koolaide being passed around these days.

That's because there's nothing to get. Unfortunately ignoring her (if it is a her) doesn't make her go away.

Robin Smith

I think the owner of the site is reading this thread and wondering WTF they got into this for. I think we all sound more or less like a bunch of loonies. This thread is exhibit A. But who really wants to change it?

Back years ago, moderators would let the sniping go on for a bit, but if it got too abusive they'd shut it down and if an individual used other threads or forums to continue the feud, they'd be suspend them for a bit and if they came back and persisted, they would be 86'd off the site. Some really interesting people relished playing torturers and basically purposefully got themselves banned, going out with a flurry of insulting posts and pushing the site to ban them. Believe me, and if any of you were around then, the worse of today is nothing like it was back then. Today, the site is relevantly tame by comparison. Strangely, many of the culprits also happened to be the best photographers.

• Like 5

many of the culprits also happened to be the best photographers

+1

There's some irony in that. Maybe even something to be learned. My guess is, about 50% of the world's artists throughout history wouldn't survive a zero tolerance policy on controlling behavior.

I vote for thoughtful and discretionary moderation, much like we've historically had.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

+1

There's some irony in that. Maybe even something to be learned. My guess is, about 50% of the world's artists throughout history wouldn't survive a zero tolerance policy on controlling behavior.

I vote for thoughtful and discretionary moderation, much like we've historically had.

They say artists are crazy and have personality problems. ;)

Sometimes, when you know a lot and have a deep awareness, you have little patience, and more so if you are faced with the personification of the the Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

no, on photography forums its more of a situation of

the more people can qoute in the realms of technical skills, or technical science, the less they can do.

Many on here can spend HOURS discussing and debating the meaning of say kodak technical report 19 of june 3, 1949, and know the science of each facet of that report, and how to debunk it with modern science, but yet lack the ability to put a CPL on a lens and take a photo of something in a window to get rid of a reflection.

the more people can qoute in the realms of technical skills, or technical science, the less they can do.

And your evidence for this is...?

Adams was a master of darkroom technique. So he couldn't do much? Olivia Parker was such a master at selenium half-toning that Adams, who had previous disparaged half-toning, invited her to teach at his institutes. She presumably couldn't do much either. Can't imagine why the Peabody Essex Museum decided to create such a large exhibit of the work of someone who can't do much.

One of the people in my circle who teaches the highly technical aspects of macro, e.g., how to make use of both depth map and pyramid focus stacking to deal with stacking halos while maintaining color fidelity, has exhibited macro photos in both a museum and a gallery and has sold macro prints. Presumably he doesn't know how to do much either.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that your disparagement of technical material might stem from a relucance to learn it. Look up "cognitive dissonance reduction".

• Like 2

I would miss PN if it was gone. I've been a paying member for a long long time and I see my credit card still get's billed so someone must be taking that noney and paying the electric bill. I sure hope that is legit. Is there someone at the helm. The site seems fairly stable and functional with the forums and portfolios. I am on a couple other photography forums, none the same or as good as Photo.net in my opinion. Some other "Social Network" sites have photography pages, they compress your photos which ruins the quality of the image. And as far as a Personal Page, pay to play, how many views do you want to pay for this week? $$$ BOOST THIS POST $$$. It's just not the same as PN, there are great photographers here and a wealth of experience and knowlege. I like the forums and most I like sharing photos and interaction and seeing others work for inspiration. I am on the Canon EOS forum regularly here, but I do get to some other forums on PN too, though with so much traveling not as much as I would like. I am responding to this thread so I get over here on Casual Photo Conversations too, and Nature and Sony...This site is about photography. This site is not about Twitter algorithms and pay to play and if you don't pay maybe 5 people ever get to see your work. It's not about buying 10,000 fake bot followers so your numbers go up on some computer formula. This site is real photographers and people who are interested in photography and they are viewing the forums becasue they want to read and see them and you can see who is posting and who they are and see their work and we can have a real converstion. I have folks here I regard as my Photo.net friends. You want to have have great conversations and views than write stuff worth reading and post photos worth viewing. It's not buying fake followers in hopes you don't get drowned out by the Kardashians and Will Smith smacking Chris Rock. It's simply photography.

Don't change that. I like my portfolio, I like the ability to link to my photos in the forums here to other forums, friend, clients and know they will sill an un altered image from the one I uploaded. Image quality is important. I like being able to participate in Canon Thursday, No Words, Nature,....

I miss the photo contests too, they were fun, that was one part of the New PN that never seemed to work well, if you weren't in the first 10 people to upload a photo, forget anyone seeing your image as it is brutal scrolling them, especially if you were photo 75. At least that's how it seemed to me, and I have High Speed Interent at my house. Why wasn't posting an image in a contest and scrolling images as easy as scrolling images and posting in No Words or any of the other weekly photo threads.

The message forums here are great, no complaints. I have no problems with my portfolio either. But other people have complained with issues with their accounts, some loosing access to their accounts. And with no administration that can fix anything, I can see people being very bummed, I would.

Personally I am happy PN is still here and functional (mostly).

I have tried hard to bring people good people here, and I actually have brought a few over the years.

But posting a link to Photo.net on a public forum and people that click the link get a warning that thie site is unsafe, go back from chrome.

The average user knows nothing about expired sever SSL certificates and is going to think it is a scam link, there goes my credibility and there goes a chance PN picked up a new visitor.

I like the format of PN's Message forums, please don't mess with that. I don't know Fiver, I have heard of it talked about in the Voice-Over Community but I have yet to visit it, so that is on my to do list.

PN has built an amazing site and it has so much potential still. I appreciate the work done here, I ran computer Bulletin Board Systems and servers in the 1980's and 1990's pre internet and early internet, I was a System Operator and I had a lot of experience dealing with users good and bad, trolls, hackers...so I know what folks running PN are dealing with. I also was one of the guys who helped design, build and operate the highspeed internet, phone, video on demand, thousands of channels coast to coast in US and Europe working for big player telecoms with deep pockets and teams of technical people. I understand Photo.net does not have the resources and funding of these fortune 50 companies. But I am really impressed what they have built here. It is great to check into PN and see the latest postings.

This site is decades old, the oldest photography site on the web with a community that has taken decades to build, talented photographers with a broad range of personalities and experiences. I ask that if you take this site over, you should understand what a unique and wonderful site this is and you don't turn it into a Twitter or Tik Tok where we all get lost in the noise of the richest and famous Kardashions and if haven't posted lately you vanish in the noise.

Please keep the site fuctional with support, don't mess with image quality. Please keep it easy to use, I want to see large photos on my computer screen or tablet, not little tiny 600-800 pixel thumb nails, this is 2022, we have highspeed internet and 5G, not 2400 baud modems. Just a few thoughts. Keeping my fingers crossed for good things to come from this. Good luck.

Edited by Mark Keefer
  • Like 5
Cheers, Mark

Mark. Just to respond briefly on your comments on personal sites. I've had a website for 20 years. it has about 40+ "albums" or collections and not far off 2000 photographs. It costs me £60 a year to keep the site available. I have no idea how many visitors the site gets on aggregate as I measure for each collection (35-50 photographs ) rather than the aggregate as I want to know which collections people seem to want to view. I bring in new photographs/copy, adjust images and delete old stuff myself so its as flexible as I can be bothered to be. OK, if I want to completely change the way the site looks or behaves ( done this 3 times in 20 years) I pay for that work which usually runs a small no. of £hundreds. Many people do this themselves using templates or similar.

A collection will generate a minimum of 500 views pa, up to a few thousand. That's for me with very little effort to promote the site . Thing is though I get no feedback and certainly no compliments. I have sold a few ( and I mean a few) prints from it. It has over the years brought me to the attention of some useful people running stock agencies . But now that's no way to get rich either. Its a useful way to respond to people who ask "what do you do"; "do you have photographs of---". " got any new stuff I can see." Depends why you want people to see what you do. I spend maybe a few days every couple of years bringing the content up to date. I regard that as a labour of love.

So for me it's different from what Photo.net was, and to some extent still is. But its not difficult or expensive for those who want to do it.

• Like 1

This loquacious screed is for the benefit of the venerable Messrs. Jensen & Argh. Some others will appreciate the history lesson and our own version of “What Happened.”

I think to understand the PN community, it’s necessary to look back on how it grew and how members interacted with the site. It also illustrates the disappointment of PN 2.0, and serves as a precautionary tale for the path forward…

Back in the day, Phil Greenspun got busy with C and Lisp—two major programming languages of the time. Prior to the prevalence of MySQL or Maria databases now used to run sites—Phil’s humongous idea was to couple an interactional environment with an Oracle database. Wild stuff at the time.

Segue a bit forward, and major refinements were made to his platform. Through his company ArsDigita, it was released for free, and completely open-source coding. Photo.net used it—as well as many other early internet communities using this ArsDigita Community System (ACS) platform.

My first association with what Greenspun was doing precedes PN. A couple of engineers I knew at EMR/Schlumberger were trying to adapt Phil’s platform to create a primitive form of what many of us now know as Project Management Software—in a Slack form!

So, on to PN. I had been a lurker for a couple of years and finally joined in late 1998-early 1999. Through its growth, we saw many important improvements. The heart of things aside from the forum boards was the ability to interact with each other on our images. Phil’s custom platform made that possible.

We also had a vibrant cadre of editors and moderators who combed through member submissions and assisted in the discussion. There emerged on the front end “Editor’s Picks.” There were all sorts of promotional devices for artists (nope “Philosophy Folks”, let’s not go there…) to get comments, advice, and exposure. Hell, at one time spreading the word of your work via the PN Portfolio was a respected venue!

As Tolkien was ready to declare, ‘Alas and alack’, Phil sold out in 2007 for $6M and delivered us into the hands of NameMedia. IMHO, a half-baked group of investors, opportunists, and shoddy stewards of PN. Much of their history left the original community platform alone—adding Creative Media to our mix.

Obviously, this did not go as well as expected—and they bled money and pretty much dried up in terms of new education or useful content. Then came the problem.

As we learned earlier, Phil’s platform had some pretty archaic coding language at its core—and I expect a helping of Python to further things along. This kludge might have been OK 20 years ago—but it is impossible to properly support or extend today. And this does not even allude to the TITANIC security holes and exploits that could not easily be patched…

So we got a replacement in the form of Xenforo. A really great forum platform, and quite extensible. But not in the same ways Phil’s old graphics-driven front end was. This was when things fell apart. It appears that some custom coding and extensions were added to the front, but not the same joy. Things did not work, quit, and no responses came except from our stalwart moderators and a mysterious “Glen.” Lots of promises were made to us in this 'interregnum' period--and botched attempts to fix some things that were rather simple. Then he disappeared.

It's time here to give a shout-out to @Sandy Vongries who stepped up, ran interference, and created help boards to try to keep the place upright.

The forum side is just fine for a lot of what we do, and in the right admin hands can take care of the needs we have for discussion. What’s broken in these boards now is easily fixed by someone with Xenforo experience. This does not however restore the nice things we had on the front end before.

Being that Fiverr is a collective of programmers and developers—that really should not be an impossible task. Keeping it current and stable might be—as is the case with all sorts of custom dev. Déjà vu back to Phil’s platform.

When you all figure out the framework, consider what made this place the largest and oldest in the first place. This will bring new blood—and perhaps lure some who have left in disappointment. Show them that this is a place to gain knowledge and make new acquaintances in a non-confrontational environment.

Preserve and present the archival discussions of those who are passed or have moved on—for that knowledge will NEVER be presented again as detailed or authoritatively as their voices spoke a lifetime of experience. There is no ‘modular’ education offering that can do that—only lead the studious to these discussions to grow their craft.

What say you?

Edited by PapaTango
  • Like 5
  • Excellent! 1

"I See Things..."

I’ve been around here for about 17-18 years and one thing that is starting to show a little here and hugely on many ‘social media’ sites is the presence of the thought police. One is discouraged from using certain terms or words lest they be penalized for such inappropriate thoughts. We used to call that censorship and later, political correctness. I’ll continue to say what I mean, to photograph what I choose and live my life without consideration of who might be offended by the color of my socks on Tuesday. I won’t go out of my way to be hurtful and likewise won’t go out of my way to not do something just in case it could be considered mean by one person in a crowd of hundreds. If that means I have a bad attitude, so what?

Rick H.

This loquacious screed is for the benefit of the venerable Messrs. Jensen & Argh. Some others will appreciate the history lesson and our own version of “What Happened.”

I think to understand the PN community, it’s necessary to look back on how it grew and how members interacted with the site. It also illustrates the disappointment of PN 2.0, and serves as a precautionary tale for the path forward…

Back in the day, Phil Greenspun got busy with C and Lisp—two major programming languages of the time. Prior to the prevalence of MySQL or Maria databases now used to run sites—Phil’s humongous idea was to couple an interactional environment with an Oracle database. Wild stuff at the time.

Segue a bit forward, and major refinements were made to his platform. Through his company ArsDigita, it was released for free, and completely open-source coding. Photo.net used it—as well as many other early internet communities using this ArsDigita Community System (ACS) platform.

My first association with what Greenspun was doing precedes PN. A couple of engineers I knew at EMR/Schlumberger were trying to adapt Phil’s platform to create a primitive form of what many of us now know as Project Management Software—in a Slack form!

So, on to PN. I had been a lurker for a couple of years and finally joined in late 1998-early 1999. Through its growth, we saw many important improvements. The heart of things aside from the forum boards was the ability to interact with each other on our images. Phil’s custom platform made that possible.

We also had a vibrant cadre of editors and moderators who combed through member submissions and assisted in the discussion. There emerged on the front end “Editor’s Picks.” There were all sorts of promotional devices for artists (nope “Philosophy Folks”, let’s not go there…) to get comments, advice, and exposure. Hell, at one time spreading the word of your work via the PN Portfolio was a respected venue!

As Tolkien was ready to declare, ‘Alas and alack’, Phil sold out in 2007 for $6M and delivered us into the hands of NameMedia. IMHO, a half-baked group of investors, opportunists, and shoddy stewards of PN. Much of their history left the original community platform alone—adding Creative Media to our mix.

Obviously, this did not go as well as expected—and they bled money and pretty much dried up in terms of new education or useful content. Then came the problem.

As we learned earlier, Phil’s platform had some pretty archaic coding language at its core—and I expect a helping of Python to further things along. This kludge might have been OK 20 years ago—but it is impossible to properly support or extend today. And this does not even allude to the TITANIC security holes and exploits that could not easily be patched…

So we got a replacement in the form of Xenforo. A really great forum platform, and quite extensible. But not in the same ways Phil’s old graphics-driven front end was. This was when things fell apart. It appears that some custom coding and extensions were added to the front, but not the same joy. Things did not work, quit, and no responses came except from our stalwart moderators and a mysterious “Glen.” Lots of promises were made to us in this 'interregnum' period--and botched attempts to fix some things that were rather simple. Then he disappeared.

It's time here to give a shout-out to @Sandy Vongries who stepped up, ran interference, and created help boards to try to keep the place upright.

The forum side is just fine for a lot of what we do, and in the right admin hands can take care of the needs we have for discussion. What’s broken in these boards now is easily fixed by someone with Xenforo experience. This does not however restore the nice things we had on the front end before.

Being that Fiverr is a collective of programmers and developers—that really should not be an impossible task. Keeping it current and stable might be—as is the case with all sorts of custom dev. Déjà vu back to Phil’s platform.

When you all figure out the framework, consider what made this place the largest and oldest in the first place. This will bring new blood—and perhaps lure some who have left in disappointment. Show them that this is a place to gain knowledge and make new acquaintances in a non-confrontational environment.

Preserve and present the archival discussions of those who are passed or have moved on—for that knowledge will NEVER be presented again as detailed or authoritatively as their voices spoke a lifetime of experience. There is no ‘modular’ education offering that can do that—only lead the studious to these discussions to grow their craft.

What say you?[/quote

Indeed Papa, Sandy deserves some serious kudos for keeping PN from falling apart.

• Like 1

I’ve been around here for about 17-18 years and one thing that is starting to show a little here and hugely on many ‘social media’ sites is the presence of the thought police. One is discouraged from using certain terms or words lest they be penalized for such inappropriate thoughts. We used to call that censorship and later, political correctness. I’ll continue to say what I mean, to photograph what I choose and live my life without consideration of who might be offended by the color of my socks on Tuesday.

I haven't seen evidence of thought police on this site, and people only rarely rarely comment on Rick's socks. What I have noticed is that the proportion of postings that are rude (an old fashioned but apt word), gratuitously argumentative, and ad hominem is higher on this site than on any other photography site I visit, bar none. This has nothing to do with political correctness, and on the flip side, it has nothing to do with art. It's just a matter of common courtesy.

There is a solution other than moderators intervening. Take a clue from behaviorist psychologists: just don't reinforce the garbage. When someone becomes gratuitously nasty, tries to provoke an unnecessary argument, or just won't give up when they've been shown to be wrong, just don't reply.

• Like 4

There is a fine line between something that is simply troll-bait, and the path of a thread that brings in control of the thesis to someone else's viewpoint. This can be seen as a form of 'thought policing.' Agree with the clique or go down in a fiery blaze of troll breath...

Sadly, many of us cannot resist troll-bait--sometimes myself included.

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

Hi everyone,

This is a strange post to write, but I’d like to start by introducing myself. I’m Matt Jensen and I’ve been running the Fiverr forums for almost 6 years. The Fiverr community has grown from a WordPress site all the way up to (at last count) 141,413 unique contributors and over 800k accounts. As mentioned by Rodger, Creative Live was recently acquired by Fiverr so we can expand our online education offerings.

I’ve met and talked with the amazing moderators and admins, but want to hear from everyone about what this forum is all about, what it can be, and how I can help us grow this community together.

-MJ

I am pleased to see that you/Fiverr are stepping up to bring about positive change to PN. I have cut back on my participation and considered ending my paid membership. I will hang in and try to step up my participation now that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you!

• Like 1

This conversation has been great and I've learned a lot from reading your interactions!

I haven't forgotten about y'all. Been working behind the scenes to get some mockups together. I haven't loved any of them yet, so we're still working on some ideas. I want to keep the same "feel" of this site in it's current form, but also have a little bit of an upgrade/evolution.

Stay tuned, I'll start a new thread when we're ready to show off some designs, and want your feedback!

• Like 5