Movies for photographers

I'd go with 'Lawrence of Arabia' too - one of my all time favourite films. But the first film/TV-series by which I was pleasantly stunned by the quality

of the lighting and color grading was 'Outlander' which I watched on Netflix. It's on series 5 now but t

. I found both

the lighting and color grading incredibly subtle. I enjoyed the story of the first few series but I enjoyed the subtle colors and lighting just as much.

"Somewhere" by Sophia Coppola; Wong Kat Wai films including "Days of Being Wild", "Fallen Angels" and "In the Mood for Love"; Jarmouch's "Limits of Control". Also some of the b/w noir films including those by Orson Welles, Hitchcock and others. For just classically beautiful cinimatography like "Barry Lyndon", Lawrence of Arabia, etc. "Dawn Wall" and "Free Solo" Also Fellini, Bunuel, and John Ford and even the director of "The Good, The Bad etc". There's just so much out there that's good. I too really liked "Pecker" for a lot of reasons.

If you want to watch a kids' movie while no one is looking over your shoulder, I'll suggest Fly Away Home (1996) directed by Carol Ballard with Caleb Deschanel as DP. I like the full frame version; the cropped "widescreen" version looks rather claustrophobic. A similar Ballard/Deschanel project is Black Beauty from 15-20 years earlier.

I saw the first season of Outlander. But you haven’t seen Hannibal yet. There’s even an homage to Kubrick in it which I recognized immediately when I first saw the scene. That's love for the craft.

[ATTACH=full]1315953[/ATTACH]

Phil, I've been so taken with "Hannibal" that - so far - I've seen it 3 times.

• Like 1

What was the movie from a good while back in which Nick Nolte played a news photographer in a war zone.....

Rick H.

That was “Under Fire,” from 1983, taking place in Nicaragua.

Another interesting movie involving photographers in a conflict zone was “The Bang Bang Club,” from 2010, depicting the actions of four photojournalists during the South African Apartheid Period in the early 90s, one of whom was Kevin Carter, who won a Pulitzer covering the 1993 Sudanese famine.

Does anybody remember a movie called The Public Eye? Joe Pesci plays a photojournalist I’m pretty sure is supposed to be loosely based on Weegee who photographs crime scenes in New York, where the are so many crime scenes you can pretty much walk around with a camera at night and see half a dozen bodies. IIRC it starts out funny, gets progressively less realistic and the end is ridiculous.
  • Like 1

TI still have to complete the new season of Twin Peaks strangely, but that's because I only care to watch it when I have a stash of weed in place and want to get high and which isn't all that often in the sense that getting high for me is more like a rite, not a ride. But I do get high of course whenever I watch Twin Peaks.

The recent reboot of Twin Peaks is so off the rails, I'm not sure if the experience would be enhanced or diminished by weed. ;) It never even occurred to me to roll up while I was engrossed in it: it looks like a stoner trip, but I really don't think I could have followed it at all after a few tokes. Then again, I'm only an occasional user, and the last 'occasion' was before this new Peaks aired in 2017...

steve_gallimore, if you aren't familiar with Twin Peaks, it would be worth tracking down the 8th episode of the latest reboot third season for your list. It's a surrealist mini-masterpiece with incredible imagery, and can totally work as a standalone visual experience (almost no dialog and no critical backstory connections with the series that would impact the uninitiated).

peaks2.jpeg.88564c54374920e6e5c399c42d7a6965.jpeg

peaks1.png.d3bd2a0929c269580d11a1b9aa9d115d.png

Koyaanisqatsi, Powagqatsi, and Nagoyqatsi. I have seen the first two on their original releases. Since the advent of digital photography/video I often think about trying to emulate the time lapse/sped up techniques that were showcased in these films. Techniques that may very well have been pioneered in these films.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Blowup, directed by Michelangelo Antonioni, starring David Hemmings, based on a story by Julio Cortazar.

An admission: this is probably the film that got me interested in photography when I was an kid in London. It's a fantasized view of photography and photographers but I didn't see things that way back in the late 60s. So I went out and bought my first serious camera and tried hard (but unsuccessfully) to look like David Hemmings ;)

Blowup, directed by Michelangelo Antonioni, starring David Hemmings, based on a story by Julio Cortazar.

And some of the filming locations were a stone's throw from where I used to live in South-East London (the park scene).