ISO Inexpensive used cameras

Hello Everyone,

I teach yearbook at a high school in Metro-Detroit, Michigan. Unfortunately, most of our cameras are old and we don't really have much money to buy new ones. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to purchase nicer old digital cameras at a low price? I know that photographers often upgrade their equipment, but I don't know where to purchase their old cameras. I understand that cameras aren't cheap, but I am trying to get the most for my money (since I don't have much) and I'm sure there are places I haven't thought to check. I would also be willing to accept donations as long as they don't need to be repaired. An old camera to many photographers would most likely be new to us. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Stacie

B&H and Adorama in NYC are very good sources. Prices a lot cheaper than theirs are likely to be "too good to be true"

An excellent source is KEH in Atlanta (LINK). Their "Bargain" lists are often in better shape than "minty" on eBay, which, by the way, is another, if riskier, place.

You might try soliciting help from local photo clubs, whose members might be willing to donate older bodies and lenses. A request for assistance on their message boards could generate some traffic in your direction, as should this thread. As noted by Ben, can you clarify your specific needs?

For the purposes of discussion, what is "inexpensive"? Our local online sales site shows very few Nikon D40-D80 grade bodies for sale, as I think most people figure anything worth less than $200 isn't worth the trouble. There are lots of D3100-D3300, D90, D5000 bodies, some with kit lenses, for sale in the $200-$300 range. These older bodies remain very capable as teaching tools, particularly for beginners. Again, a campaign for donations-in-kind among local photographers could bear fruit, and I'm sure we'll see what we can do here, as well. Does your high school or district have a tax-exempt foundation that can receive donations and provide acceptable receipts?

Try this link for camera clubs in your area: GDCCC

Edited by DavidTriplett

Your "steps" are more fantasy than practical.

However, to modify that somewhat, you may be able to trade yearbook ads/credits for access to some photographic good, but

1. are year books still published in hard copy?
  2. probably not support to the tune of whole camera kits
  3. and maybe not with big-box stores now that local shops are gone

Local businesses used to support yearbooks.

1292477717_SHSYearbook.jpg.f8ee60d3f6cc9d78704f316329440d4c.jpg

As a "brain", admiration I got, Dates? Not so much. Sondra was cute, though.

KEH is just as dangerous as ebay for camera stuff.

On what are you basing this statement?

I've spent well into 5 figures with KEH over the years, and I'm sure I'm a lightweight compared to what many have done.

I've had issues with stuff from them, but it's the exception rather than the rule. and they've also always made it right with as little fuss as possible.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

(snip)

But the OP gave the impression that they wanted someone on HERE to just send them free cameras and gear.

I read it again, and don't get that impression.

He seems willing to pay, but much less than new current cameras.

As someone mentioned, shopgoodwill.com, which runs auctions for Goodwill stores, is a good place.

If you find ones from a nearby store, you can pick them up and save shipping costs.

The prices are usually somewhat less than other stores, but also minimal testing.

Most shopgoodwill.com stores will refund defective products, not including shipping.

Digital point-and-shoots go for very low prices, though also wear out sooner.

Some of the earlier DSLRs also go for fairly reasonable prices, and probably work well

enough for the OPs needs.

-- glen

IF the seller is honest then there is not much of a hassle. IF the seller is dishonest, then you have a crap load of steps to go through, including the final act of being the one who has to prove you were sold defective merchandise as good product.

I have had 3 kept camera purchases and one not kept.

Not kept one was majorly damaged FTB. I mean, non functional damage.

Kept one that turned out to have been tampered with by the seller, didn't bother with the return because the damage was only found when I had the camera serviced to have the light seals replaced and shutter timed.

My diacord was sold as 100 percent functional but the lens needed to be taken apart before it would work.

I've had to raise a case quite a few times but there's never been any great need to prove it's faulty.

Yeah . . . The OP doesn't appear to have been back since posting this . . . Nice . . .

I have dealt with KEH for 20 years or so and NEVER had a problem. I have no idea how they could be more dangerous than eBay. But, you know . . . Consider the source.

KEH and other used sites have D70, D90 and many other older models available for under $100. The first question asked was the most important though. Are they looking for DSLRs? P&S? View cameras? What?

You can do fine on eBay if you just make sure the seller has a good track record selling "cameras". Problem is I don't find eBay prices to be much lower than the dealers.

For eBay in general, and mostly not cameras, I find that if I bid low enough times, I get enough things.

There are a lot of overpriced items on eBay, from people who really don't know the value.

-- glen

Depending on your current equipment, perhaps you are using SLRs with older MF lenses for example, several older mirrorless camera bodies....like the Sony NEX-5n... could allow you to leverage your current lenses. If you can keep from buying all new glass...you costs are going to go way down.

"Problem is I don't find eBay prices to be much lower than the dealers."

The problem is eBay is not what it used to be, that is a Market where "individual sellers" can market their goods. Now a day, many dealers like Adorama have accounts on eBay. So you think you are looking at a product sold by an individual seller, but actually its a dealer. As you know dealer prices are a little higher. I myself have purchased various equipment from 'Roberts Camera' which is a brick an mortar camera equipment dealer with an account on eBay. The trick with eBay is to always use the word "USED" when searching for an item. This way the individual seller's items will pop up at the top of the list.

Like everybody said, there are tons of used cameras out there such as the Canon 30D, 40D and 50D which you can get at relatively low prices. I would say KEH is about the best if you are thinking about buying in Bulk. They usually service their cameras before putting them on the shelf, but don't expect "stellar repairs", or units that have been overhauled to factory specs. You usually have to pay more for those. They also rate their equipment by condition. If you don't mind doing some work, eBay and believe it or not, Amazon are also good places to shop for used camera equipment. Look for buzzwords such as Like-new, Refurbished, Mint and Return instructions.

"They usually service their cameras before putting them on the shelf"

Did you get this from KEH? I don't think this is true. I like KEH, but I have had cameras that turn out dud from them and clearly had not been serviced. To be honest, I wouldn't expect it either, but if the camera or lens stops working during the warranty they will fix/replace or refund.

Robin Smith