Do you hand you camera in to another person?

ruslan

Do you give your beloved and cool camera (to take a photo of you) to

1. a stranger on the street?

2. smb. at the party (drunken people, noise, dancing, hustle) ?

Do you worry for your gear?

If yes, who do you give it? How do you choose that person out of the crowd?

At my age, the parties I go to are mostly with people I already know and trust. Rarely would I want to take pictures at such a party. If I did, it would be with my iPhone which is neither beloved nor particularly cool.

As to pictures of me, I take selfies and self portraits occasionally and every now and then a friend has taken a pic of me with my camera, but it’s not a regular occurrence and I’m having a hard time imagining when I’d want a stranger to take my pic on the street.

Though now that you mention it, that could be a very interesting photo project. Portraits or pics of myself taken by random or interesting strangers I meet on the street. For such a project, I’d probably get a second iPhone on which I’d put no personal information and which would be devoted just to the project. :)

• Like 2
There’s always something new under the sun.

If I am to ask someone to take a picture of me or my group, I want to make sure that person knows how to compose and is familiar with camera operation. In a tourist place, I would usually find someone who has got a decent camera himself, and is making good use of it, like finding, testing compositions. If possible, I would make eye contact with him/her and exchange a smile to ensure he is in a friendly mood before I ask. This is all to make sure that the resulting picture comes out good, otherwise most people wouldn’t decline a request to take a picture for someone else.

If such a person as described is not available, I would ask whoever is there. I would usually go for the quietest, all by himself kind of person in the area, who is not distracted by someone else and can focus on the job. I wouldn’t ask the dad of a 2 year old with two other older ones in tandem :).

• Like 2

Since shifting all of my bodies over to back button focus the complexity of use is too much to explain to a stranger. Like Supriyo, I might consider someone who is plainly a photographic mensch, but, even then, BBF can be a challenge for the uninitiated. Thankfully, my college student daughters are now fully inculcated, so they can shoot at opportune moments. Selfies are generally the realm of my or my wife's smart phone, unless I've set up to use my IR control with camera on tripod.

BTW: Over the years I have made a habit of asking families or other groups in tourist locales if I could help by taking a picture with their phone/camera. It's usually pretty obvious when they're trying to pick who will be out of the picture to take it, and it is universally appreciated. The fact that I have a "serious" camera+lens on a cross-body sling, or on a large tripod, generally adds to my credibility, and to their comfort in handing over their own camera. (I'm a low flight risk!) I know many people are far too self conscious to ask me for help. I like to think these small kindnesses have contributed to peoples' sense of goodwill and faith in humanity.

• Like 4

Every once in awhile a stranger on the street will come up to me with their phone, and ask if I could take a picture of the phone owner and their mate.

I always oblige and then make a few of photos of the couple. Then, I look at their phone admiringly, and say something like, "Hey that's a really nice phone. Thank you!" And then start to walk away with it.

Always a crowd-pleaser.

Edited by Brad_
  • Like 3
www.citysnaps.net

According to American Express travel tips, scammers in tourist spots may dress well and carry a nice camera. That is intended to make you feel comfortable if you want someone to snap your photo. Who wouldn't trust a person with like interests. They run off with your camera, which is probably how they acquired the prop to lure you into complacency.

Also cited was a stranger asking you, with a fine camera, to use their camera to take their picture, then claiming you damaged it and demanding payment. This is a ruse for robbery, often gathering their cohorts to surround you.

A related scam is for some to admire your camera, distracting you while. your pocket is picked or your camera bag ransacked. I'm thinking of experiences in Barcelona, and suspect Rome, should I ever visit there.

Scammers dress and act in a way to elicit trust. That includes most politicians ;)

Not really.

beloved and cool
I have "darn beaters", that I could loose almost smilingly, for that purpose and also really enjoy taking the odd 15mm arm's length selfie, once in a while.

If I needed a picture of myself taken, I'd rely on friends, coworkers and such. Bringing a tripod and triggering via Android device would be an alternative.

Do you give your beloved and cool camera (to take a photo of you) to

1. a stranger on the street?

2. smb. at the party (drunken people, noise, dancing, hustle) ?

Do you worry for your gear?

If yes, who do you give it? How do you choose that person out of the crowd?

Usually I ask to take me a picture by my mobile phone.

I do a fair amount of traveling with my wife, and people occasionally offer to take a picture of us at some scenic site. My camera is usually set for back button focus, and some other settings that are not exactly point and shoot, so I have one of the User settings (D7100 has two) set for hand-off mode. Shutter button auto-area focus, P mode, and middling ISO. In this sort of situation the people are not generally strangers, and if there were any cause for worry I'd refrain. It's often people in our group, swapping cameras, or people like guides and boat captains and whatnot. I would not hand my camera off to just anyone on the street, but I've never been asked to either.
  • Like 1

Every once in awhile a stranger on the street will come up to me with their phone, and ask if I could take a picture of the phone owner and their mate.

I always oblige and then make a few of photos of the couple. Then, I look at their phone admiringly, and say something like, "Hey that's a really nice phone. Thank you!" And then start to walk away with it.

Always a crowd-pleaser.

Outside of family, the only time I can recall doing it was at Shidoni Gallery / Foundry in New Mexico. A well dressed couple, I'd guess somewhere between my wife and I in age saw my then new to me D 750 and asked to see it. They had just attended a photo seminar where the camera had been discussed favorably, but no hands on sample was available. I suspect they bought one, since I was / am pleased with the camera and spent some time giving them a "tour". I will always take photos for others - no explanation needed with any camera I've ever been handed, but always with phones.
  • Like 1

I got bad case of pink eye once and ever since I really don't like others touching the camera, if the grip really needs to double check the scene I'll set up an external monitor. As for handing it to someone on the street, no way! It seems anytime someone does a study fecal matter is found all over the place, metro hand rails, McDonalds touch screens, etc.. "here give me your camera I'll take a picture of you..." Noooooo
  • Like 1

--------------

My Architectual Photography:

Architectural-Cinematographer.com