ADMIN: Guidelines for Adhering to Topic

Tony Rowlett

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok look - Yes name-calling is juvenile. But to take it personally is also juvenile. Maybe it's easier for me because I have never felt attacked by Grant. But to loose his contribution here, for me personally, is huge. We will not be the same. I think bannishment is midieval. Maybe we are as well.

gentlemen.

as a notorious photonet badboy (who was once banned for a considerable period), i'm surprised to find i hold some very conservative positions here. first off, i think that, as a general principle, photos posted should have been captured through a leica. non-leica photos should be restricted either to matters of comparison OR solicitation of leica members' views regarding things such as bokeh, 3-dimensional luminescence or other traits that are firmly/exclusively in the leica camp. second, there should be more than a little tolerance of off-topic discussions by long-standing members of the community: do we really want people who only wish to chat about gear? finally, there should be no tolerance of non-leica owners who parade in occasionally to insult everyone. it's interesting that leica users don't wander into the canon or nikon forum to berate people over a bit of enthusiasm (even though they'd probably have good cause), yet we routinely have to endure lectures/posturing from guys who believe things like "exposure compensation" are sophisticated technological advances and the reason leica can't "compete"...

let me add that, for me, leica is very much about the rangefinder style of shooting, but even more about the glass (so much so, that i even own the clumsy R4 because i can stick a summicron 50 on it).

vuk.

Ok, so i stopped reading at about Peter's "Lieca Photography Forum" post b/c i was laughing too hard. Two questions:

1) where officially are people who shoot/want to shoot and are gaining more info about Bessa rangefinders/39mm screwmount stuff supposed to post?

2) perhaps more importantly, (and maybe someone said it and i missed it), will this thread get archived???

I have been lurking here because I have 4 Bessas and I am just learning how to use them. I've learned a lot here. I haven't posted anything because I don't have anything worth posting anywhere with these cameras yet. Maybe I never will have but I do enjoy getting out with them. Getting good shots is harder for me than with my SLRs.

If you start a rangefinder forum I will have to migrate there since this will only be for Leicas now.

Conni

john Lo Pinto , feb 28, 2005; 08:37 p.m.

<BR><i>Because Grant is such a great photographer and a prolific poster, his negativity has that much more force. I've had nothing but politeness and good crit from him, but he really stings sometimes, and the target tends to overreact. I'm not sure he acknowledges his nastiness either. My guess is his attitude comes from an inflated sense of his own talent and a not-so-inflated view of some of us.</i><BR><BR>Anyone's negativity has only as much force as you allow it to have. E. Roosevelt (approximately). This politeness that we all crave and insist upon can mask a lot of darkness. That's the scary part to me: when you don't see it coming. Grant's open about it and his darkness is right out front. No hiding there. He never lied to you about that and his photography is in accord with what he speaks. So I trust him. <BR>His photography is pretty much universally acknowledged here as some of the best we have. And you want to loose him? Or should we change him and then everything would be okay. I think your guess about his attitude is exactly that: your guess. Life is not a reality TV show where we bannish members that have not collected enough political points. We're in this together.

Perhaps we should simply agree that this is a forum for Leica enthusiasts. Some are active photographers, mostly amateurs but with a sprinkling of pros. Some are basically collectors. Many are both.

Some want to post photos. Some want to talk shop. There's room for both types, as long as the discussion remains civil.

Any post should be okay as long as it is has something to do with Leica. Let the moderators err on the side of being inclusive. If everyone acts in good faith and with common sense, there's no real need to define in advance exactly where the boundaries lie. Minor mis-steps can be overlooked and big ones can be deleted. The forum can continue to re-shape itself organically.

What should be unacceptable are people who come here primarily to bash Leica, bash Leica enthusiasts in general or, worst of all, bash particular Leica enthusiasts. I honestly don't understand what motivates people to do such things -- not once, as an exception or in anger, but repeatedly. Why do they waste their time?

Why would someone who is not a Leica enthusiast want to hang out in a place called the Leica Photography Forum?

i suppose grant was a hit here while i was away. just had a look at his website and the man certainly has an excellent eye for composition, but most of the final results look as if he's...

1) shooting chinese tri-x at ISO 12800

2) de-saturating images from a noisy digital point-and shoot (or cell-phone-cam)

3) consistently/mistakenly underexposing by 4 stops

4) trying to lure a new/young lady goth friend into bed by impressing her with adolescent effects/aesthetic acheived by one of the above

vuk.

Jeepers Peter, I guess I should have emailed that one directly to Tony also. I'm terribly sorry if I insulted your intelligence. Maybe I should just ignore the people who like me, go off into the Everglades, and put a 9mm hollow point through my brain? Which is the most effective? Forehead, temple or up through the roof of my mouth? Anybody want to photograph the event?

<i>"Vuk ...any more cons you want to peddle while you are at it? Liek um rangefinder style photography? What IS that hmmm?"</i>--Peter A

<br><br>

one of the things that sets mature humans apart from other animals (and the occasional president of a superpower), is the ability to communicate with symbolic concepts.

<br><br>

vuk.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Focus on Al is utterly misplaced. It's both inaccurate and counterproductive.

Grant and Jay, just to name two former forumers, managed collectively how many *thousands* of posts [hint: over 10,000 I'm pretty sure] ... all while Al K. was an active part of this forum. And Pete, ole pal, you're up over 4,000 yourself (not exclusively to this Forum, but significantly here).

I must ask: How can it be that "big bad Al" wasn't able to scare off these intrepid posters? Remarkable, isn't it?

By the way, I believe you're also mistaken on another count. As memory serves, Al had about as much to do with Jay's departure as I did with the resignation today of Lebanon's government.

Pete - You know I get a charge out of many of your comments and enjoy your photos a great deal. And we're teammates on the Leica Forum Shootout, too. But here, I think you're off base.

Bob, my question wasn't a "why can't we all get along one." I don't object to

spliting up the photographic pie -- I just questioned wny it need be along the

lines of brand names. That seems like the silliest way to divide the pie.

Anyway, I think I'll look for a new home on Pnet.

<i>"can you pick what type of camera was used to make a shot? Like, as in a Canon film body versus a Nikon film body or a Leica film body?"</i>--Peter A

<br><br>

peter.

<br><br>

in no way did i mean to imply that a camera body had anything to do with the quality of a picture: that would be the domain of nikon/canon prosumers. i will, however, stand behind the annoying collective wisdom of rangefinders being better for the street--in terms of ergonomics making it simpler for you to capture the picture you're after. they are lighter to carry, less obtrusive, easier to hand-hold, have viewfinders more suited to anticipation, etc. i own 3 SLRs and they never go downtown with me. conversley, the M6 rarely gets packed for a trip to the rail-yard. horses for courses (although I must admit i make a lot money betting on certain "dirt" horses going to turf for the first time--yet it doesn't work the other way around).

<br><br>

i'm either living out a photographic cliché or there's something to be said for listening to the advice of old geezers like al and ian.

<br><br>

vuk.