ADMIN: Guidelines for Adhering to Topic

Tony Rowlett

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm all for them, Tony, <b>as long as they are truly, justly and universally enforced from now on</b>. Hope they won't again be merely words (or arbitrarily applied to only some threads, topics or members) like many other published "rules" of this forum quoted in the earlier ADMIN thread about profanity.

Tony

I'm sure you have deliberated very thoroughly before posting these guidelines and most of the comments here have probably crossed your mind at one time or another.

I only wish to say that I fully support your guidelines without amendment.

Thank you for making this place enjoyable.

Dave, did you even read Tony's points?

""What is Leica Photography" is also great, but it shouldn't deteriorate into a "Leica v. Digital" thing, either."

The first post you make is;

"I come to this forum so I can see other Leica users photos, not some cheapo digital camera photos."

Now look what you've done. This thread has to go becasue...

"Threads that are silly or just plain stupid will be deleted."

Dave, I hate to tell you this but there simply IS no look. It you spent $3000+

dollars for a look, you're fooling yourself. But then maybe it would have been

a good photos had I used a Leica 28 instead of a Voigtlander 28.

I do belief that rangefinder cameras "can" aid in learning to see the world

differently. However, I also believe that once the way is learned one can do

with with any camera -- and the RF path is by no means the only path.

BTW, I do love my Leica but just can't see any difference between the photos I

make with it and the photos I made with my D70.<div>00BJjG-22097284.jpg.a9ea07334cb5fcbeb7e9f72709743a85.jpg</div>

Sam, I tend to agree. I had just bought the lens and did a test shot during

dinner. I'm still undecided on the quality of this lens. But then it does open up

a range of photos that I could never have made with a lens with a smaller

maximum aperture.

And more importantly using a manual lens like this (which doesn't allow

metering) on my D70 forces me (allows me) to shoot in a more rangefinder

manner. And if that's not relevant to this forum then I'm definitely in the wrong

place.

BTW, to put the shoe on the other foot, Dave, what if someone began lobbying

here (as some might prefer) to define the type of photography done here as

"manual only" and that because you shoot with an AE M7 your photos should

properly be excluded? Many of the Leica purists here do, in fact, feel like this.

In my opinion this is silly and there should if anything be less involvement by moderators. What is wrong with threads that resemble actual conversations, rambling from time to time or even devolving, rarely, into debates, arguments, etc.? Isn't that part of what makes a community? Why not allow the antidote to "bad speech" be more speech? It's tiresome to see so much hand-wringing over the imagined sensibilities of whatever delicate flowers are supposed to be harmed and offended by goings-on in an <i>internet forum</i>. Moreover, the technology for searching archived content will only improve. Who is to say what will be important to those searching this forum in the future? Why should information be excluded from the future searchable universe based on ad hoc judgments made in the present by even the best and wisest handful of moderators? <p>

If we want to start enforcing rules that have been around for a while, here's an instructive passage found by clicking the "Subscribe!" link below: <i>"But people who have been using the site frequently over the course of several weeks, and who can afford it, are expected to upgrade their 'Trial/Guest' membership to a Subscription membership. For frequent visitors who can afford it, subscriptions are not optional, but they are on the honor system: each person is trusted to decide for himself when his access has become frequent enough and whether he can afford it. As guidelines, you should consider subscribing if you are visiting the site more often than once per week on the average, and if your disposable income is sufficient for you to purchase photography equipment, film and processing, books and magazines, internet access, etc. In other words, if you have a photography budget at all, and you are visiting photo.net regularly, the site should be part of your budget, the same as any other photography expense."</i> <p>

Should we begin deleting postings by those who continute to ignore the plain language of the above passage? If so, perhaps we could start by deleting their opinions about forum content. I'm not convinced they have standing to express such opinions.

"Leicas....the price of new ones is way beyond the reach of most younger photographers.

We need a way to allow these people to join us that fits their budget!"

Al, I see where you're coming from but I can't agree. If younger photographers just cut

down on the drink, drugs, and fast living then they could easily find the deposit for an a la

carte

MP. Let's keep it clean round here, let's keep it Leica.......

Oh dear, soon only Dave and a few other obsequious fondler's, plus Herr Kapitan will remain here to collectively to blow hot air up each others .............. in an ultra protected enviroment.

One of the best things about this forum was the cross section of types that contributed, with interesting and diverse photographic discourse, Sure some recently committed hari kari for losing the plot in a major way, but without SOME artistic licence.

This place could really become just like an Leica old boys camera club meeting and that would be a sad and boring thing. A Leica is only a box to hold a lens after all.