ADMIN: Guidelines for Adhering to Topic

Tony Rowlett

< Maybe I should just ignore the people who like me, go off into the Everglades, and put a 9mm hollow point through my brain? Which is the most effective? Forehead, temple or up through the roof of my mouth? Anybody want to photograph the event?>

Al, I for one find this a bit disturbing considering your usual sunny, mellowed Hippite (that's a form of ex-hippie), S. Floridian self. It may have been frustrated tongue-in-cheek humor. I surely hope so!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<b>Al</b> couldn't stand it once when a thread on Edward

Weston was posted here, because he felt it had no relationship

whatsoever to Leica photography. To him, the fact that

<b>Weston</b> knew how to make great photographs

apparently had no relevence for people trying to make good

photographs with a Leica. No relevance or relationship at all.

None. Nada.......Zilch.......<b>black hole.</b><p>

Still, he seems <b>dumbfounded</b> that some of us complain

about the fact that he thinks what he did in the <b>'60's</b> in

the back of a <b>VW bus</b> is <b>pertinent discussion

here.</b>

<i>"Others might say show me just one shot made with a Leica that couldnt be made with any other 35mm camera..."</I?--Peter A

<br><br>

i think you missed a bit of what i said. it is definitely possible, <b>lens quality aside</b> (see below), to take any leica (rangefinder) picture with another camera, but it's also a lot more idfficult to do so, IMO. one thing i won't back down on, however, is that if leica glass is not in front, you will be missing something--mind you, that "something" may be trivial to most, and i can certainly understand why, but it is not trivial to me. the pictures i take are mainly for me.

<br><br>

vuk.

ray.

<br><br>

picasso could draw better than just about any grand master. van gogh was a depressive tosser, but i have to admit being moved by the self-portrait hanging in chicago.

<br><br>

i also think your "profile" pic on photonet, which is a very symbolic profile, would have been a masterpiece if shot a <b>slightly</b> different way (not being sacrcastic at all).

<br><br>

vuk.

Probably the biggest irony is that most of the people here who are open to the positive

qualities of digital are also the people who I'd put my money on to be able to use a Leica

and Tri-x meaningfully, and, for that matter, go into a wet darkroom and knock out a

beautifully balanced fiber based print. I doubt that there's a single member of the lens cap

and bokeh brigade who's a truly competent photographer (using any medium). Leicas are

nice cameras, but let's be honest the glory days for Leica are well and truly over. Maybe

this forum is coming to the end of its useful days just like the company that inspired

it.

Al, if it's not just a cry for help, then through the roof of the mouth is definitely the way to go. But it seems like an excessive reaction!

About the Kap'n Al thing: this forum - maybe all forums - has a tendency to focus on certain individuals and elevate them beyond their deserved status as photographers every once in a while. It was my turn once, it was Mike Dixon's, it has been grant's and no doubt there'll be someone else after Al. Al got a T-shirt out of it, Mike got a 75 mm summilux as I recall. Soon enough there'll be a new photo hero to take the brunt of the forum's need to find a figurehead.

Pete -- Just a sec. In your formulation, if I were to ask a fellow forumer to refrain from swearing, sexism, racism, etc., and he [or she -:) ] were to respond with a vulgarity directed at me, then *I'm* responsible for "goading?"

Nah. This form of communication isn't much faster than Morse Code. You gotta type it, then submit it, then confirm it. You mean to say that in all those steps there's no opportunity for one to regain his composure? I just don't buy it.

I've spoken out against the deletion (you know that), but this "devil made me do it" argument you're making here just doesn't hold up.

I do agree with Pete on the camera-selection-and-detection issue. If you believe the rangefinder is best for X, or the slr is best for Y, or the digital is best for Z, and you have one with you, great -- then use it. But I do think it's a terrible waste of time and energy to attempt to impose that orthodoxy on anyone else or attempt to restrict posted photos in that fashion.

Finally, Pete, don't try to run any of that "uneducated buffoon" routine past us here. It won't fly:

>>>>>>

Peter A Photo.net Patron, aug 10, 2003; 09:13 a.m.

Leanne the only person I have ever called a genius was one of my supervising professors for my doctorate - he was and is...but thats another story LOL..I am just into photogrpahy on this site.

>>>>>>

Mistaken you are. Buffoon you are not.

<i>"What profile pic? The pic of me with my sisters was taken by my mom when I was 6 or 7."</i>--Ray

<br><br>

even though van gogh was a tosser, i share his passion for art and it compels me to say, in light of the confession, that mom's photography puts your's to shame. sorry, mate!

<br><br>

vuk.

<br><br>

p.s. jeff, you don't own a leica but you spend a lot of time being angry in the leica forum. i don't own a nikon and i've never posted in the nikon forum.

Vuk, you needn't group me in with anyone. But if can come up an argument about my comment, I'd like to hear it. (You see Vuk, it's this senseless dribble that does no good. Just posting a negative comment for no reason at all.) Was there a point to that? A positive reason to spend the time?

To my knowledge, Vuk, I've never been paired -- or "quarteted" -- with the guys you're taunting, but I'm offended nonetheless.

The fact that you've chosen a $10 name rather than a gutter-level slur means you'll avoid being banned (or banned again, as the case may be), but still it's not a good thing.