<PLEASE READ> Migration Date - October 3rd

mjensen

Times, they are a changing. The day is set for the migration.

We will begin on October 3rd. The full migration should take about 2-3 days.

What to expect:

Photo.net will be inaccessible for the time during the migration. The conversations and uploads will be locked. Once migrated, the expectation is that logins and the forum discussions will work as they do now.

Because of the volume of photos, Photo albums will slowly migrate over starting with the most recent. Expectations are it will take 3-4 additional days for ALL the photos. Thank you in advance for your patience while those get brought over.

I am making it a point to be extra available after the migration and will be leaving my email address here for any questions, concerns, or issues. After the migration, we will have more direct access to help resolve issues.

All links should work as they do now. URL mapping is part of the migration.

RE: photo.net premium.

Directly after the migration, we will not have a pay gate for the services offered in Premium. These will be built out over the next few weeks. The current focus is on the safe migration of everyone's photos, albums, and portfolios. If you have paid for Premium, you will have a "premium" tag on your account.

Things will look and feel different. I appreciate everyone’s flexibility and patience while we update and migrate the site to a new platform.

Looking forward to it! Let me know what other questions you have in the thread below.

-MJ

matt.j@fiverr.com

• Like 5
  • Excellent! 1

Couple of things puzzle me

First , what sort of organisation notes the amount of traffic on Photo.net right now and assesses that a total change in the platform/what it does is justified?

Second, assuming that its pretty obvious to everyone that Photo.net isn't what it was, has already tried a major change in software to cure the malaise which didn't work, what makes anyone think that doing a similar thing over is going to work differently?

Third, given the audience Photo.net now has, does the thought that lots of people might be prepared to pay for what it might offer to do actually hold water. Would be nice if it were true.

Meanwhile I'd like to thank those people who have worked without help and without budget to keep a once-great site afloat these last few years.

First , what sort of organisation notes the amount of traffic on Photo.net right now and assesses that a total change in the platform/what it does is justified?

Welp, it was that, or shut it down.

Second, assuming that its pretty obvious to everyone that Photo.net isn't what it was, has already tried a major change in software to cure the malaise which didn't work, what makes anyone think that doing a similar thing over is going to work differently?

Different intent. It was previously intended to be a standalone business. Now the priority is foremost to preserve it as a resource, and only secondarily see if it can pay for itself.

Third, given the audience Photo.net now has, does the thought that lots of people might be prepared to pay for what it might offer to do actually hold water. Would be nice if it were true.

We'd like to have it at least pay for itself so that it doesn't turn up as a giant cost center when The Powers That Be are looking for cost-savings measures. Nobody is envisioning some sort of wildly profitable venture here.

• Like 5

Datamigrations are always painful and I appreciate the owners will go through the trouble and expense to maintain and keep this platform alive.

There is an immense amount of knowledge embedded in photo.net. Just try to do an internet search on any photographic subject, and a photo.net thread will show up in top 10.

The online forum format is still my favourite way to engage on the internet. It is less invasive than the social media platforms that has taken over most of the action, so I am grateful that the owners are keeping this site alive.

• Like 4
Niels

Just my 2 cts.

- as @argh says, the current site is 'broken', probably technically outdated, hasn't been functionally or technically kept up to date for many years and is basically now unmaintainble.

- it's quite common for older websites to be moved on to a more modern 'platform' and upgraded

- @mjensen has provided us with more information and sought more feedback from members than I can ever remember from previous 'owners'

- I'm delighted that the move will be from 3 october. Yes, there will undoubtedly be teething troubles but I'm confident that these will be resolved quickly

- my thanks too to the mods who have somehow kept the current site up and running for so long with so little 'technical backup support"

Mike

• Like 5

This is terrific news!

I hope that the post 'Signatures', and the information that was located in the avatar block be restored. This is pretty simple.

IMHO, the "Badges" are just so much nonsense. These could be turned off--what do others think?

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

@Gerry Whitmarsh it will be--as PN is migrating to a different forum software platform. We are presently on an older and neglected version of Xenforo. As seen in the 'test site' the new software is Invision Community.

I also expect that we are moving to a new server as well--which is another place problems like this can emerge.

Let's hope that the migration goes well. I have done a number of forum migrations in the past with relatively few hiccups.

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Software professional here. I wish you the best of luck with the migration.

I've been a member here for 21 years (since 2001). The old software was slow but it was very useful. This current software, I never liked. I hated it so much, I basically stopped frequenting photo.net. So the migration is GREAT news.

@mjensen Funny enough, Photo.net founder is Phillip Greenspun, known in software circles because of Greenspun's tenth rule of programming:

"Any sufficiently complicated
or
program contains an
, informally-specified,
-ridden, slow implementation of half of
."

It was thanks to this aphorism, that I finally learnt Common Lisp, a language that now I know quite well. And this was the single most important thing i've done in my 25+ years of programming, besides being named on a software patent. So thanks Phillip!!

• Like 4

Just my 2 cts.

- as @argh says, the current site is 'broken', probably technically outdated, hasn't been functionally or technically kept up to date for many years and is basically now unmaintainble.

- it's quite common for older websites to be moved on to a more modern 'platform' and upgraded

- @mjensen has provided us with more information and sought more feedback from members than I can ever remember from previous 'owners'

- I'm delighted that the move will be from 3 october. Yes, there will undoubtedly be teething troubles but I'm confident that these will be resolved quickly

- my thanks too to the mods who have somehow kept the current site up and running for so long with so little 'technical backup support"

Mike

Actually, as I recall it, the previous software overhaul was preceded by a lot of requests for user input and feedback. There were several surveys about features and several threads led by Glenn to elicit ideas and feedback in advance. Despite all that, that rollout was an utter disaster. It’s the implementation that counts and I’m hoping for something better by far than the last one. Time will tell.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

that rollout was an utter disaster

I think that's a little unfair, most users seemed to adapt to the new photo.net fairly quickly. The problem, as I see it, is that the revised format, having been justified partly as an exercise in future proofing, is apparently finished only 5 (?) years later.

Parentheses in writing can be like peripheral vision to a photographer. It’s where lots of good stuff happens that other people often miss.

I privately say to you, old friend... please accept from me this unpretentious bouquet of early-blooming parentheses: (((()))).

—JD Salinger

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

What to expect:

Photo.net will be inaccessible for the time during the migration. The conversations and uploads will be locked. Once migrated, the expectation is that logins and the forum discussions will work as they do now.

Because of the volume of photos, Photo albums will slowly migrate over starting with the most recent. Expectations are it will take 3-4 additional days for ALL the photos. Thank you in advance for your patience while those get brought over.

I am making it a point to be extra available after the migration and will be leaving my email address here for any questions, concerns, or issues. After the migration, we will have more direct access to help resolve issues.

All links should work as they do now. URL mapping is part of the migration.

RE: photo.net premium.

Directly after the migration, we will not have a pay gate for the services offered in Premium. These will be built out over the next few weeks. The current focus is on the safe migration of everyone's photos, albums, and portfolios. If you have paid for Premium, you will have a "premium" tag on your account.

Things will look and feel different. I appreciate everyone’s flexibility and patience while we update and migrate the site to a new platform.

Looking forward to it! Let me know what other questions you have in the thread below.

-MJ

matt.j@fiverr.com

Excellence in motion… luv

• Like 1