<PLEASE READ> Migration Date - October 3rd

mjensen

Check in here to make sure there are no outstanding questions. Yes, it's scary and there will 100% be some time (estimate a few days) to where we get back up and going. To start, once we're back online, I've dedicated most all my time to feedback and updates to get the site as close to where it is (functionality) now. I want you to send over to me what is wrong and what you'd like to see. We now have more direct access to fix & update things quickly.

As some have mentioned, along with possibly being vulnerable to security updates, the site is not GDPR compliant, signups are broken and payments need updating. Not to mention it needed some TLC for community engagement. This site is currently hosted on an AWS EC2 cluster devoted to the site, running Xenforo software. We are migrating to a platform called "invision community" which is the same platform we use to run Fiverr's user forums.

To put it bluntly, the options were: migrate or shut down.

I choose migrate.

Edited by mjensen
  • Like 5

What options will current members have to access their photography on the new site? Will it be similar to PN, same log in details or other requirements? I’m was a little confused about that.

The goal is that it will be the same as the current platform.

"But there is not a lot of confidence that it will be?"

Perhaps among the PN users, but hopefully the software staff doing this conversion has confidence that it will work. At the end of the day, the patient is currently terminal, and there really isn't a choice whether or not this is going to happen. I guess we just need to strap in, and ride this one out.

Hoping it works. Especially the photo forum posts where I shared my PN portfolio images using an embedded link to the image on PN. Will the URL change in the move? Will postings in Canon Photo Thursday just turn up as dead links? Guess we will see if this image can be seen after tomorrow.

18681588-orig.jpg

• Like 1
Cheers, Mark

There seems to be an issue with the PM system.  When attempting to send a PM, the popup informs that the inbox is full, and messages must be deleteted prior to sending a new one.  Did that, and still no joy...

Spell check seems broken or inactive also.

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Took a fast tour around the new site. I like the look, an dis it me or is a bit quicker? Maybe it just looks quick! 😁 Just for fun, let me see if I can

post a pic using a URL (OK that works as expectd-  but look to the lower right of the reply box to "Other Media" to find the access portal

spacer.png

and drag-n-drop a photo in... OK NOPE. Must upload or insert images directly from URL. Not a deal killer by any means.

Other random observations & stuff,

I did notice some commentary on a pic posted in Seeking Critique thread didnt make the migration. "Homage" had a handful of replies, inculding one of my own.

The old site mostly gave me alerts if someone "liked" something and mostly did so if someone quoted me, but maybe I'd have needed to subscribe to the thread to get notifications on further commentary? Don't know about notifications yet but, perusing my profile, my "likes" and activity seems to have made it. The metrics appear diffferently tho, and it's "My Reputation" with, in my case a "score"(?) of 17.2K. I went back to my profile, checked a few other pages here & there, and "back arrowed" my way back to here - and the "editor" or whatever saved my post.  Gotta go back and see if my actual post content made it. 

SO, putting the new site thru its paces and all is working very well!  

Edited by Ricochetrider