MF camera suggestions?

ksporry

<p>AFAIK, there are no autofocus 6x6 or 6x7 cameras, only 645. Even then, AF is generally a single central point and is not particularly quick. These are the 645 models with AF that I know of, Contax 645, Hasselblad H series and Mamiya 645 AF/Phase One AF. Newer phase one/mamiya DF/XF bodies are digital only and cost a small fortune.</p>

<p>To get a light meter on 6x6 or 6x7 you have to add an AE prism head which adds significant size and weight.</p>

<p>Personally, I use a variety of mamiya 645 bodies and an RZ67. Of the lot I like the RZ67 the most even though it's significantly larger and a fair bit heavier, I find it's the nicest to use.</p>

<p>The 200 series Hasselblad bodies, with the exception of the 201f, will give you reflective metering without the requirement of an AE prism. You have different options - the 203FE and 202FA give you center weighted averaging, whereas the 205FCC and 205TCC give you a spot meter so you need to be familiar with the zone system.</p>

<p>A point of note is that the meter in the 200 series bodies is accurate to 1/12th a stop and when used in automatic mode will change the shutter speed to match that accordingly. I'm not aware of any other camera that has this level of accuracy, and it is something that cannot be achieved manually as the granularity of most cameras is 1/3 stop.</p>

<p>I'm not aware of any 6x6 or 6x7 cameras with auto focus.</p>

<p>Of course some hand held meters will give you accuracy to 1/10 stop if you think you can see that difference even on a slide film, and always assuming you are pointing the thing at exactly the right place. Many MF cameras have the ability to use a metering prism, though many of those metering systems are fairly primitive by comparison with todays in-camera meters. I always had a metered prism for my 6x6 Bronicas, though to be honest I found a handheld spotmeter /incident meter such as a Sekonic 508/608 and successors a sight more useful than the prism meter which was relegated to use essentially as an eye-level finder. I liked my Bronicas , got some good shots from them, albeit that I wouldn't say they were better IQ than a Hasselblad V series just easier to use IMO. Careful with the size/weight of mamiya RZ systems especially if you plan to walk a bit with it and/or you want to build a multi-lens system.</p>

<p>You would open up your possibilities a lot if you used a hand held meter and manually focus your lens.<br />When going to film, especially medium or large format you will find you need to slow down a lot. You will also find best results happen while using a tripod.<br />Just my 2 cents.......shooting medium format from 1975 till now.......so what do I know.<br />An RB will give you a lot of camera for the money, I have been using 500 series Hasselblads from 1980 on.<br /><br />Any of them will give great results if you slow down, none of them are great for fast candids, but saying that with experience that can also be done...Developing your own B&W will give you way more control while following this path.<br /><br />I will now set back while the "experts" tell you what to do...........</p>

<p>I like my Yashi TLR 6x6 (using hand meter), but have seen some nice work from Pentax 6x7. Just saw a body and 4 lenses for less than $700. Not bad for entering MF. Ha, your meter could be inaccurate and you could still come out with great photos....lots of variables out there....the lens itself can be off some (it's not "transmission" tested), the shutter can be sluggish, film ASA is not necessarily accurate, the development off, bla bla. Haven't seen any AF lenses on MF cameras....sorry, but 645 is just slightly bigger than 35mm and unless someone gave me that type of a kit, I just can't see myself shooting with one (MHO).</p>

<p>Handle some of the models, pick the most desirable for you....have it checked out-adjusted by experienced tech....and you're good to go. Try to get more recent model = usually less issues.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Hasselblad internal light meters have all the sophistication of a cheap shoe-mount meter, whether built into the body or the prism. It's like stepping back in time, 50 years. Only the 200 series bodies have automatic exposure, aperture priority, controlling the focal plane shutter (only). The pattern is often illogical and usually varies with the focal length of the lens. I use mine, a spot meter (sort of), but with caution. It's not great, but better than nothing.</p>

<p>I get more consistent results using an hand-held meter, a Sekonic with a 1 degree spot and incident light dome. It also measures flash.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I will now set back while the "experts" tell you what to do...........</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well Russ, I think the most important thing to do is to answer the original poster's question(s). Accurately and completely. There is a tendency that when somebody asks "I'd like to buy a car. Is a Ford Focus better than a VW Golf?", they get some replies like "Trust me, you don't want a car. A motorbike would be far better. I have a Harley and I love it.".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Contemplating a medium format camera for film. 6x6 or 6x7 format, build-in reflective light metering, and if possible auto focus. Any recommendations?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>6x7 and above: there are no cameras with autofocus.</p>

<p>6x6: as Eric stated, the only cameras with autofocus are the Rolleiflex 6008AF and its successor, the Hy6 models 1 & 2. They have sophisticated metering and top-notch lenses too.</p>

<p>I know you didn't ask about 645 format - and I don't want to become one of those people persuading you to buy a motorbike instead! - but seeing as the list of options so far is so thin, and not inexpensive, this may be helpful:</p>

<p>645: 4 lines of SLRs with autofocus and metering:</p>

<ol>

<li>Pentax 645 N/NII,</li>

<li>Mamiya 645 AF/AFD/AFDII/AFDIII [be careful - the DF/DF+ and XF series are newer but cannot be used with film backs!],</li>

<li>Contax 645AF,</li>

<li>Hasselblad H1/H2/H2F/H4X/H5X [again, be careful - H-series models ending in D cannot be used with film backs]</li>

</ol>

<p>Also in 645, 1 line of fixed-lens rangefinders with autofocus and metering: Fuji GA645/GA645W/GA645Zi</p>

<p>I think that's everything in the "medium format with autofocus" world. The Pentax, Mamiya, and Fuji options are best for those on a budget. </p>

<p>If I had to start all over, I would probably go for a Pentax 645N which was one of the better MF cameras on the market(still is). However I started out with a Mamiya 645 1000s and have a collection of very good lenses to go with it. If you don't mind manual focusing you can pick up some very good lenses on the used market for cheap. Just make sure you have good eyes or a very good focusing screen.<br>

<br /> If you prefer to use AF lenses and camera, you will have to dig deeper. The price for some of the AF lenses is outrageous even the used ones, but on the other hand, you might only need 1 or 2 of them...</p>

<p>Pentax 645N, NII are autofocus and still extremely functional choices. Pentax also offers digital AF 645 bodies that will work fine with the AF/MF lenses. So the longterm investment in lenses does not necessarily evaporate with evolution. Me; I still use the old P645 and film plus other formats & bodies.</p>

Thanks for the many responses. I would have thought AF for 6x6 and larger would be unlikely (interesting to learn about

the rollei option though!).

I don't mind sacrificing AF for larger formats. I got a H4-40 already and just want something on the side to play with film,

and considering the frame size of the H4 I think I won't get a 645.

I used to have a Bronica S2 long time ago. Loved it, more than the hassy 500cm I replaced it with back then. But since I

couldn't find any lenses for it (only had the standard 80mm) I got rid of it.

I was thinking of a Bronica GS-1. Which s big and heavy, but it seems to be quite popular. Not sure that means good

though, but I saw nice results if scanned Provia film online and liked it.

The Pentax 6x7 SLR is also popular but seems like it's difficult to test and seems to have its quirks in usage from what I

read.

As a note, I'm no stranger to working slow. For a while I used 4x5 LF, but my other half couldn't stand it, so had to go.

My current gf is more forgiving but won't accept LF. She'll accept film on MF though. ;)

I'll check out the rollei option!