best canon camera

<p>I've always worked with my canon AE-1, but it's not functioning well anymore. (problems with transport and flash sync with the longer aperture times). I was wondering what camera would be the best replacement. Is there a better camera than the AE-1? I'm looking for a camera with not more electronics than the AE-1. I'd like to stay with canon, so I can still use my lenses.<br>

Thanks very much!<br>

Dajo</p>

<p>It's a good question and there's no single answer. I'd suggest:</p>

<p>(a) In terms of the most bang for the buck, Bela's answer is a good one. You can get a good second-hand AE-1 for next to nothing, although the CLA will cost a minimum of $100. </p>

<p>(b) If you want a really nice professional system camera, look for an F-1N (the 1981, or latest version). That last model of the F-1N feels like an 'A' series camera on steroids, so it would be easy for you to get used to. It feels much the same in the hand, although it's heavier. That's not to say that it would take any better photos than the AE-1, because 99% of the time, it wouldn't!</p>

<p>You can accessorize it with different finders and screens and stuff, depending on how you like to shoot, but that's a topic for another thread.</p>

<p>Having owned and shot with virtually every FD camera with the exception of the T-Series, I can say that the F-1s are great cameras and are among my favorites.<br>

<br />The 'other' F-1 to consider is the EF. It is a contemporary of the AE-1 (preceding the AE-1 by a couple of years and was sold along with it for a while). It is a shutter priority camera that works very similarly to the AE-1, the F-1s require add-on accessories to get shutter priority.<br>

<br />If I could keep only one 35mm camera, I think in the end, it would be the EF.</p>

<p>Ed</p><div>00d10z-553317684.thumb.jpg.32d332dfb4c3215b7fee00ab2175eb98.jpg</div>

<p>I think most of the A-series cameras are at least as good as the AE-1. Surprisingly to me, I found the AL-1 particularly nice to shoot with although it lacks the overall sophistication of the A-1.<br>

The AE-1 Program is externally similar to the AE-1, but it's fairly different under the skin. I do like it with the motor drive.<br>

My absolute favorite of the FD-mount cameras, however, is the T90, except for that shutter magnet failure problem.</p>

<p>I've been a Canon user since 1982 and the AE-1 was my first SLR. But I quicky outgrew it as I learned more and more about photography. At first, I thought more automation was the answer (before I knew any better) and the next camera I bought was an A-1. I liked it quite a bit more than the AE-1, but it ultimately had the same problems that all A-series cameras have, except one -- the AT-1, and even the AT-1 has one annoying trait that the rest of the A-series have. What makes the AT-1 different is both aperture and shutter speeds are ccoupled to the meter. With all other A-series cameras, only the shuttter speed control is coupled to the meter. Other than being battery dependent, the other annoying characteristic shared by all A-series cameras is their metering pattern, called "bottom center weighted" by Canon. It becomes a real problem if any halfway bright light source enters the frame, resulting in pronounced underexposure, especially if shooting slides.</p>

<p>I too love the EF, but it is a fragile camera anymore. Clean examples that work properly can still be found, but it is a camera to be babied anymore. First generation flex circuits under the skin are prone to cracks, resulting in meter and slow shutter speed failures. So I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement to the AE-1. If you can live without the aperture-coupling to the meter, the T90 ranks very high on my list. Find one without the mirror magnets problem and you have an extremely versatile, extremely robust tank. It was, in fact, nicknamed "the tank" in Japan by its dedicated users over there.</p>

<p>My favorite Canon camera is the 2nd version of the original F-1. There is no finer camera ever made, IMO. It has it all -- an extremely accurate match-needle meter, with a very useful partial metering area -- only the central 12% of the viewfinder is metered. Mirror lock up. Very robust construction. A full system camera and many of the system components are still readily available. About the only significant drawback I can think of pertaining to the original F-1 is the Motor Drive MF: it's a huge unit that takes 10 AA batteries. Heavy. But it advances film at a rather leisurely rate of only 3 fps. Nonetheless, I shot with old F-1s and motors for years professionally and managed just fine at the slower rate.</p>

<p>The New F-1 is a very robust alternative, offering both aperture and shutter priority auto exposure, depending on which options you've employed, plus a much faster motor drive. It has a hybrid shutter. Faster speeds are mechanical, slower ones are electronic. To me, its biggest drawback is lack of mirror lock up.</p>

<p>A sound workhorse alternative to the original F-1 is the FTb. The FTb was my first mechanical Canon and was the first camera I owned that began to teach me about photography. Like the orignal F-1, it has match needle metering, mirror lock up, and employs the same 12% central area where metering occurs. One of the great things about the FTb, besides its durability, is its economy. You can often find clean copies for less than $50. One of my all-time favorite Canons.</p>

<p> So in short, speaking for myself, I wouldn't go back to an AE-1. Even an AE-1 Program would be a better move. At least it has interchangeable focusing screens and takes a good motor drive option. If you want to learn about photography and don't have a lot to spend, get an FTb. If you have a bit more to spend, get an F-1. </p>

+1 for "Black Beauty" EF.

That's a fabulous camera!!! Built like a tank, perfect ergonomy, TOP!!! Only one default is that you have to shut it down or the battery will be dead quite soon. On other hand even as old camera she's ok with actual batteries!

Off course F1 (both versions) are great camera with plenty of options... but they are more pricy!

<p>If you like the AE-1, then look at the A-1. It is really very similar to use, but carries on metering into slightly lower light, and in addition to shutter-priority, you can switch it to aperture-priority or program AE. It uses the same battery as the AE-1, which you can still buy without difficulty (and which lasts for ages). You get more information in the VF than with the AE-1 (both shutter speed and aperture), and you can switch that info off if it annoys you; a nice touch if you're in good light, and want to be left alone with your composition.<br>

It gets the same mirror-brake problem with age as the AE-1 (my AE-1 hasn't had that fault; I bought a second-hand A-1 with it, and had it lubricated at a reasonable price); be choosy when you buy either of these cameras, or be prepared to pay extra and have the camera serviced.</p>

<p>The "hierarchy" of the A series, with the same amount if electronics in basic terms but increasingly more sophisticated and capable functions, was (an is): 1) AE-1, 2) AE-1 Program, 3) A-1. I bought and still own all of these three in this order, but the AE-1 and AE-1 Program see very little use nowadays: whenever I fancy using a Canon camera of this generation and series, the A-1 is the obvious choice.<br>

<br />I also own and use a F-1 (first series), which while a truly admirable camera could hardly be suggested as a replacement for an AE-1 - unless the photog truly want to shift back to an earlier generations of cameras, and to pay more for this. Ditto for the FTb - a "primitive" camera when compared to the AE-1, and not necessarily cheaper. The F-1N would offer all the functions and advantages of the A-1 (plus much more in terms of system flexibility), but we are talking of a completely different price class here.<br>

Never handled a T90 (way too modern for me...), and thus I would not presume to assess it.</p>

<p>I bought an FTn last year for $11, with lens. (But I usually use an FD 35mm that didn't come with it.)<br>

For proper manual with build-in meter, I recommend the FTn.<br>

Like many old lenses, some FD lenses have sticky apertures, so watch for that.<br>

For electronic FD lens cameras, I have a T70 that I got for $10. The camera works fine, but not all of the LCD display works. It does show the ISO, though, most important. It is also nice, using cheaper AA batteries, instead of the more expensive ones that many electronic cameras use. <br>

I might choose the T-90, but I don't have one yet. It seems that many like it more than the T70.<br>

If you find a good price, the F-1 is a good choice, but the FTn works well, and is much more affordable.<br>

FD lenses are also easy to find for low prices, though Nikon AI lenses are also reasonably priced and work with newer cameras. </p>

<p> </p>

-- glen