iPhones taking over from DSLRs

<blockquote>

<p><em>Whew ... for a minute there I thought Melanie was talking about Canon</em> cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>She might be. I can't quite read any of the lettering in the blurry/fuzzy main iPhoto (note to iPhoneographer: iFocus and iUnsharpmask!), but it appears to depict some DSLR camera with a large, red-ringed lens. But perhaps Epson and/or Cannon copy the red ring. If Canon were as smart as UPS, they would have trademarked their red ring, just like UPS has trademarked the color brown. (I now no longer use this color in any of my photos, terrified of being sued for trademark infringement.)</p>

<p>Wow, to think that I could have bought multiple iPhones for what I paid for CS5, and it wouldn't even take me long hours to edit my photos on an iPhone. D'oh! I feel like such an idiot.</p>

<p>This reminds me of an acquaintance I knew from college. He said he needed a new camera for a trip so I asked him why he needed a new camera and he said "Because my iphone takes better pictures than my camera" so I asked him what camera he had and he responded Canon 50d so I offered a suggestion that he might save some money on a new camera by adjusting the settings on his canon and that it should be perfectly capable of taking technically well shot photographs and should not be falling behind his iphone.</p>

<p>He then proceeded to berate me and get very defensive of how amazing the iphone is and how he knows everything there is to know about photography because he works in the photography app department at apple. </p>

<p>Another story related to this article is I have another friend who is a fairly successful photographer. She owns her own gallery and displays her work. She does quite a bit of fine art work for galleries and I believe she had done weddings and editorial work in the past as well. A couple years ago a car accident left her paralyzed with very limited use of her hands. Since then she has been in physical therapy and it is helping but in order to continue creating art and move on with her career she moved to using her iphone. She pretty much works exclusively with her iphone now and has been creating some very beautiful work with it. </p>

<p>Any time you see an article like this or you hear someone speak in absolutes it tells me they worry more about their gear than the end product. Who cares what camera you used in the end the print is what matters. The image you create, the feeling it evokes. That is what it is all about. </p>

<p>I don't have stats to back it up, but I suspect most cellphone owners use its built-in camera because it came as an incidental feature so it became their only camera which they wouldn't otherwise own. </p>

<p>Another perception - young people getting hooked on photography via their first cellphone will inevitably graduate to something more substantial. Not necessarily as a replacement to their phone camera, rather following a natural progression of any hobby when it gets more serious.</p>

<p>Phone cameras is still a fairly recent phenomena and have no doubt changed things in a big way, but given its form-factor constraint and power requirement, its feature growth will necessarily plateau at some point with no room for further growth. It's only then can we assess how it will impact traditional photography meaningfully. Meanwhile traditional cameras are getting ever better and cheaper without the same constraints. </p>

<p>Bob, did you nail it ... if it's on the Internet, it must be true? My wife, a librarian, has been hammering this in to me for years. One only needs to look at wikis, especially the Wikipedia to know that this bunk is not true. I agree with your sarcasm. I am an avid Apple fan and have an iPhone 5 with that terrific little camera that comes in handy when I regret not having a camera with me. I have even posted some decent iPhone images on PN. But make no mistake, after we recognize that the person behind the camera is far more important than the camera used, DSLRS and iPhones cannot be discussed together as comparing apples to Apples, all puns intended. Larry</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"the person behind the camera is far more important than the camera used"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's true for traditional photography, but let's not ignore technical, scientific, forensic and other specialized photography where gear is everything and the person using it is mostly fungible. </p>

"an iPhone 5 with that terrific little camera that comes in handy when I regret not having a camera with me."

You cannot regret being without a camera with you when you have a "terrific" camera with you.

"I have even posted some decent iPhone images on PN. But make no mistake, after we recognize that the person behind the camera is far more important than the camera used, DSLRS and iPhones cannot be discussed together as comparing apples to Apples"

Suitable images have been produced with "terrific" iPhone camera gear. Adding to that is the claim that the photographer is far more important to producing images than gear used. Then describing what the gear has in common somehow leads to the conclusion that the gear has absolutely nothing in common. Even more bizarre after we are told that a "terrific" camera is not a camera.

" if it's on the Internet, it must be true? My wife, a librarian, has been hammering this in to me for years."

Like cameras not being cameras and different cameras not being able to be used for some similar purposes. Of course phone cameras are much different than DSLRs but they are not completely devoid of comparison. It would have been better to say that each are often better suited for different uses.

<p>I give her a <strong>C-</strong> on her little "essay" project...</p>

<p>As it's been stated, in capable hands the iPhone 5 is pretty amazing. (Especially the image of the Leica M3)<br /> <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/sample-images.htm">iPhone 5 Sample Images</a> <em><<< Click</em><br /> <em>"the colors and everything are essentially what came out of the</em> (iPhone's)<em> camera"</em></p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I notice the article has been edited (assuming the quotes posted here previously were correct at the time) to remove the mention of Epson SLRs. Now it just says "Canon and Nikon".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes they've edited it, but the unabridged 'Epson' original is still over at USA news online in all it's glory:<br /> http://newsusa.biz/move-over-dslrs-iphoneography-is-taking-over-professional-photography/</p>

<p>Why doesn't iPhone stick to phones ? Next thing you know they will want to get into auto insurance, banks, refrigerators, education, dog walking and who knows what else they want to take over so they can make a buck...</p>