One camera and lens

igord

<p>That's simple....depending on my mood, but I think it would be my Leica M4, which I've had since 1968, and as for the lens, probably a 50mm Summicron. But honestly...I rotate thru almost all my cameras during the year, and actually use my digital ones the most.</p>

<p>I always wonder about these questions, since they don't generally have any connection with reality. Just the other day, I heard two jokers talking about which supermodel they'd settle on if they could only choose one as a companion while shipwrecked on a desert island. Who was it here in an earlier thread that referred to these sorts of worries as a "first world sort of problem?" I still laugh at that one!</p>

<p>In my case, Igor, that would be very simple and different from what has been said above. While I am currently selling off lesser used equipment, those items that I still use are still varied and notable for their differences than for any likeness. Each has its own utlity, so the answer is not so much whether I might keep the simple scale focussing 1950s Vito b, or the recent top end digital system camera and one lens, but rather the question becomes instead:</p>

<p>Given that I will sacrifice various presently acquired photographic approaches or capabilities by reducing my equipment to one camera, what is it that I would most like to photograph in future with a more restricted system?</p>

<p>If I did mainly macro photography, that would narrow the list. If I sought to do landscapes, or if I prefered to restrict myself to street/event photography, different other choices would prevail. Same thing for abstract, birding, wild game, low light, night, or sports photography. If I liked invoking a lot of out of focus effects in my images, I might choose a lens with a large number of diaphragm blades, or with specific spherical aberration effects, in order to enhance good "bo ke". If I gave up my B&W darkroom, I might choose a digital camera, unless I had a scanner.</p>

<p>For me it would not be what camera and lens I might be satisfied with, but which more restricted photographic approach I would priorize as a consequence, the needs for which would then dictate a more specific simpler system. </p>

<p>I wouldn't care much for minute differences between camera A versus camera B or lens C versus lens D, that ad nauseum and somewhat senseless dabate. Reducing a system to the basic minimum is more a question for me of reducing one's photographic approach or scope - to what?</p>

<p>There were/are famous photographers using (or at least trying to use) just one camera and lens, so it makes sens to me. Looking through your posts I see film is still very popular. I talked at my local kodak lab today and was told that many young people come to process film again, as I was afraid the lab will eventually quit film processing.</p>

<p>Okay, your basic nightmare scenario. . . . Still, I'll play: my Canon 5D II with my 24-70 would get me a lot of shots. Or maybe I would drop back to a crop sensor camera with an 18-200 something or other so that I could go wide and pretty long.</p>

<p>Let's talk about something else. This is depressing.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I have tons of cameras and there is a time I had to choose to keep only one camera and only one lens with me (not throwing the rest, just store them somewhere) and my choice was a Pentax *istD with a Sigma 28-60mm 2.8<br>

Your choice of course depends on your available cameras and available money sources and your need (last but not least).<br>

I made that decision because the *istD is:<br>

- a DSLR with pentaprism<br>

- among the lightest and smallest DSLR<br>

- enough control wheels for me<br>

- doesn't have a big LCD in the back which made many ppl believed it was a film SLR<br>

- with Pentax, there was greatest chance for me to pick up another lens somewhere from some one for a low price<br>

- 28-60mm with APSC size sensor is most commonly used for me, 2.8 is all (and a little more than) I need. Sigma is also cheap, especially that one<br>

- I don't need (and don't like) high ISO</p>