Come on guys. Enough now.

jim_gardner4

<p>I live in England. A lot of you live in America. If I was asked which was better I would say England and I would guess most Americans would say America. We could ask 1000 people from every country on the planet which was the best and <em>most</em> would quite rightly say the one they live in.</p>

<p>So; the film vs digital on-going (and on-going) debate. Please can we end this one now. The film people will <em>generally</em> say film and the digi will <em>generally</em> say digi. As there is no right or wrong answer, is it time to stop debating it? I certainly think so.</p>

<p>There are lots of new posts about Kodak at the moment. They (or their sister, brother,parent or some other company) will stop making film now. No they wont...yes they will...no they wont...yes they will....Its behind you!</p>

<p>The fact is,we do not know and any one who absolutely does know is not saying.</p>

<p>Hollywool, Bollywood, Balsawood or Cricklewood uses more film than digi / digi than film. I doubt if anyone knows the deffinate answer to that and to be honest, it should not make any difference to us.</p>

<p>If you are concerned about the lack of film in the future, the worst thing you can do is tell others (especially new-comers) how bad its all getting.</p>

<p>Do you know what I use mostly? Do you care? Will it alter what you use? I would hope not.</p>

<p>It you want film to stay in production, buy some and use it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What's the purpose of your post? We are all film users, some of us exclusively so, and considering this is a forum about film & processing, your message is lost on me.</p>

<p>Oh, and by the way, Kodak is a publicly traded company so there is no "parent" company, so I have no idea what you are talking about here.</p>

<p>Funny, I thought the forums were about the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. I like Dan's response of going hybrid, that's what I do anyway. My big beef with digital is the dumbing down of the art. I have met so many digital photo students who know nothing of Depth of Field, use of filters, Sunny 16 exposure, Proper lighting, equivelant exposures, etc. The schools all concentrate on the artsy crap and leave out the technical stuff that is crucial to proper image production. If the schools taught their students the basics first then went to digital I would have no problems with it at all. The sad truth is there are far too many hacks calling themselves pros today because heck if it isn't right you can always erase it and shoot two hundred more images till you get it right!</p>

<p>I don't usually post here but I couldn't help but click on the thread. So take my comments with half a grain of salt and call them my one cent's worth.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Funny, I thought the forums were about the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>On paper. :-) But you have to have a thick skin. That's a given.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My big beef with digital is the dumbing down of the art.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I disagree... In fact it helps us refine our art. Lighting and lenses can be tested more efficiently.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The schools</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't see why anyone goes to a school to learn photography. That's the crux of the matter IMO.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If the schools taught their students the basics first then went to digital I would have no problems with it at all.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The basics can be more efficiently taught on digital. I wish that when I was beginning to take 'serious' photos that I had a DSLR. It would have helped a lot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>because heck if it isn't right you can always erase it and shoot two hundred more images till you get it right!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or "fix it in post", because that gives some people an excuse to use PowerPoint - oops, I meant PhotoShop. :-) And I don't mind taking 200 shots to get it right if I have to. Digital cameras allow that to be done easily and affordably. Nothing wrong with that, except when you only have five seconds to get the shot or lose it forever. Good old fashioned experience - that's the key.</p>

<p>Karim,<br>

I was fortunate enough to work as a Navy photographer for a year, shooting, processing, printing, mixing chemistry, running film and paper processors etc. before I was awarded photo school out of the fleet, (at the time I was only the second person ever given that opportunity from the fleet). I have to dis-agree with you. Even though I learned from a team of about 20 photographers at the lab in Jacksonville, FL. what I gained at photo school in three months (8 hours a day of nothing but photography) Far outpaced what I would have learned if I had stayed in the fleet and "apprenticed". They were able to cover much more ground in a school setting than any master could in the field in that period of time, and I was able to gaon much needed feedback from my instructors, something I was sorely lacking in the fleet. Also I do not have the time nor inclination to sort through a couple of hundred images on my computer, It is much quicker and easier to view proof sheets and sort negs on a light table IMO.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Funny, I thought the forums were about the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>True, but photo.net forums are categorized to help folks find relevant discussions in topic-specific forums without wading through distractions and digressions.</p>

<p>I'll confess that I'm not fond of gratuitous "versus" arguments in the topic-specific forums: film vs. digital; Nikon vs. Canon; My Obviously Correct Viewpoint vs. Your Obviously Delusional Ravings. So those are normally bumped into the <a href="../casual-conversations-forum/">Casual Photo Conversations forum</a> if the topic is vaguely photo related; or the <a href="../off-topic-forum/">Off Topic forum</a> if the topic is closer to economics in general, politics, etc.</p>

<p>Seems like the most reasonable compromise and keeps everyone more or less equally happy/unhappy.</p>

<p>In this case I was curious to see where Jim was going with this discussion. Also, I can't find my brand new Christmas micro-manager elf cap.</p>

Apparently you have been misinformed. You live in the United Kingdom. UK Immigration Services personnel once gave

me a whole lot of grief over that seemingly minor detail at Heathrow. For similar reasons, I always ask for Color Reversal film instead of "slide" film.

Yes, they are American, and I have had Latin American people scold me on that point as well. (I get scolded a lot,

apparently!)

Anyway, if it we up to me, England, Scotland, and Wales would be considered different countries. That's how I've always

thought of them, anyway. Lovely places, as well. Been there many times.

<p>"When considering whether I prefer film or digital I would say beer is my clear choice."</p>

<p>I like that. I might grab any one of my 4 cameras. 2 are digital and two are film. Ya never know which one but it's a sure bet I'll grab a cold beer or two (or three) at the end of the day. I'm curious now about a beer/urine developer or would I need to drink coffee too? Larry?</p>