Duh, Glad It Was Outdated Film

<p>After a long break from film I've started shooting some B&W again and doing my own processing. Processed a couple of 35mm rolls and they came out good so I decided I'd try some outdated (1981) 120 Tri-X in a Mamiya 645 ProTL I bought recently. As it was old film and I was more or less testing the camera, the shots weren't anything special.</p>

<p>Well I set about developing it following the same procedure I had used for the 35mm Tri-X, including the same measured quantities of chemicals in the tank. Well the 8 ounces was fine for the 35mm, but when I hung the roll of 120 up to dry and looked at it, the under developed portion of the film along one side told me the story pretty quickly.<br>

Lesson learned for next time......</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Somewhere in the archives here is a thread in which we confess our darkroom goofs, blunders, boners (that one ain't fittin' for a family forum) and D'oh! moments. I've had quite a few of my own, including omitting the spindle/axle doodad from a plastic tank/reel set the first time I used one. Lovely fogging.</p>

<p>I wish I could sticky that thread permanently. Makes for fun reading and is coincidentally instructive too. <em>(Is "instructive" a word or did I just D'oh! again?)</em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Did you use the same tank to develop the 35mm roll as your 120 roll? If yes, then "you should always fill your tanks to capacity volume wise.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nonsense. There is no need to do that provided you have allowed a sufficient amount of developer to do the job. There is no advantage to using more developer than necessary once the minimum requirements are met.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Did you use the same tank to develop the 35mm roll as your 120 roll? If yes, then "you should always fill your tanks to capacity volume wise.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Besides other comments above, another reason I would avoid filling the tank, is that eventually the chemicals become waste and if I can use less for a process, it's less that goes somewhere into the environment. With the exception of the goof I made here, I have always just used enough chemicals to cover the film reel. Worked this way years ago for me, so I haven't altered the process.</p>

<p>I have done that before! I wrecked what could have been a good roll of 120 film because I used a plastic tank rather than my usual Stainless steel. Well it wasn't a TOTAL waste since 2/3 of the film developed fine! This was just a few years ago and I should have known better...<br>

THen there was the Christmas Eve when I thought XTOL was fixer! I blame the wine....</p>