Most Fuji Pro C-41 Films Discontinued

<p>I think the average Joe/Jane on photo.net thinks Fuji or Kodak will keep a film that is unprofitable if one acts concerned; get petitions signed; writes letters. Few really understand basic business. Products in decline tend to vanish; today or 5000 years ago. Film is a perishible product; it requires a massive capital outlay; it rots if unsold just like food. With further declines in film usage; expect more products to be dropped.</p>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>That's what I'm doing. I even upgraded my film scanner (the new one is only 6 years old!)</p>

<p>Lately I've been exercising my F75 and noticing how many cameras I'm seeing that are a lot older than mine. It's like the warm weather has brought all the classic shooters out of hiding. I saw a college girl with a C220, two girls with an OM each and one had a Diana, a guy with a manual Canon, a man with an old Nikon and two separate middle aged men with old Pens and a few others I didn't see well enough to identify - in one trip downtown. I was a bit embarrassed by my film camera that looks like a digital.</p>

<p>This is sad and disappointing news, even though I won't be personally affected - I'm not a fan of these emulsions (spectral characteristics being the main problem), and I'm already primarily running on frozen stocks of discontinued 120-format films!</p>

<p>If Fuji have to rationalize their product offerings, why not leave the unique films like Pro 800Z alone, and instead reduce duplication in their slide films? I always thought that having 4 different ISO 100 E6 films in 120 format made no sense...Astia 100; Provia 100F; Velvia 100; Velvia 100F. WTF?</p>

<p>If you remove the words college and girl, it might have been me you saw with the OM :D</p>

<p>Doing more searching it seems like there is confusion about Reala (including with me). It appears that Reala has been temporarily pulled with a successor coming to "stand up" to Ektar. It isn't actually discontinued. Its replacement Reala Superia 2.0 is coming soon. Which I can't wait for, unless they pump the colors a lot, I like the colors the way they are. Finer grain, higher resolution, higher Dmax all good, colors should stay the same.</p>

<p><em>Probably better to switch now to something in production and put your money on a live horse. Dead ones don't win races....</em><br>

Russ said it best.<br>

Its time to look for reasons to go out and buy more film.<br>

Not off eBay. At the camera store.<br>

Kodak's Portra line is exceptional and so are the remaining E6 lines from both Fuji and Kodak. Hopefully they can stick around a while longer because C41 is NO substitute from chrome.</p>

<p>I have 4 rolls of 160S and 1 400H and a Kodak UC400 in my chest freezer, :D<br>

I did try Portra NC160 which had a yellow shift, the VC160 from same purchase date was way better. Maybe a bad sample, if people say the Portra films are so good I may get a roll again of NC and VC and try them out. Overexpose 2/3 like they say .... and do some at its stated EI.</p>

<p>Now with NOBODY making tungsten films, "film is dead" is sounding truer all the time. How DEPRESSING! 'Better go out and grab some Fuji 64T and stick it next to the Kodachromes in the freezer. It is (was) excellent film - much better than Kodak's tungsten. Stick a 30 magenta filter on the lens and it made superb citiscapes at night. Now all "we" (they/them) want is mediocre electronic images.</p>

<p>Hmm. If there was only one tungsten print film, and it hasn't been selling well enough to continue it, I think that just means tungsten film isn't very important in the big picture.</p>

<p>Isn't tungsten itself becoming less important? There are countries where it's not legal to sell incandescant light bulbs to the public.</p>