Rocky Mountain Film Lab - WARNING

<p>After finding two old rolls of film at my Dad's place after he passed away, a local phography shop in Virgina reccommended Rocky Mountain Film. I sent the film to them in September 2008. Nearly two years later, after multiple phone calls, they've told me different stories: January 2009: "not scheduled to be developed yet". October 2009: "Film is developed but still need to make prints. Having machine problems. Will be ready by the end of the year". December 2009: "Has been developed. Still need a few months". April 2010: "Unexpected delays, need a few more months". May 2010: Answering machine said they could not accept messages, and are not able to give status on film". In April I asked them to simply return the film, or negatives if it really had been developed; they said they'd get back to me in a few days... which never happend. They sure cashed that check fast in 2008; I just want my film back, and never mind the lost money. These guys are bad operators.</p>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This company continues to maintain a phone number and a website and continues to solicit new work and collect payment for work they are obviously unable to do. How is this possible? People should be filing complaints here...</p>

<p>https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx</p>

<p>Having talked with the post office, should RMFL be charged with mail fraud, the post office would move in, and return the packages to the original sender where possible.</p>

<p>Even the threat of mail fraud should be a good push in getting RM to make some kind move in the right direction. Mail fraud is a very serious business.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I, too, sent movie film to these people and for 2 years and 2 months, they NEVER called me, it was me always calling them. They were having equipment "problems" back in 5-09 and now when I called last week, they were still having "problems". They never called me back when they said they would. I finally got an order number out of them after 2 years. I finally just hung on them last week and got the credit card company to give me back my money, although, I doubt I will ever see my film again. I didnt tell them that I got a refund from the cc company, if they would call me back, I would tell them. I am going to file a BBB report on them and whatever else I can do to make sure no one does business with them again. Although, after I read this forum, I am wondering how they are STILL in business!!! I just wish I would have found this sooner, I would have never bothered with them.</p>

<p>Count me among the victims here. On the recommendation of Samy's camera here in L.A., I sent a roll of Kodachrome II to RMFL in June of 2009 and have tried emailing and phoning to follow up. I'll continue to pursue this individually (via phone, email, and registered mail), but if there's any kind of collective action we can take, or if the IRS or Film Rescue International is able to aid in restitution, please post instructions here. I've not given up yet and want to take any action I can to try to get my film back.<br /> Thanks to Jason and the others who have done so much work on this already.</p>

<p>"Today the court awarded me a judgment against Steven Dock in the amount of $4700."<br>

What, in effect, does that mean? I've been waiting for my film for two years. BBB complaints are a waste of time other than for warning others. Filed a compliant with Colorado AG office.</p>

<p>S Mark: If you read all of the threads I've posted above, you'll see that I sued Steve Dock when he failed to perform the promised services or return the film upon my request. Today, the case went to hearing and the court awarded me damages ($4,700) for my claims based on legal theories of breach of contract and fraud. I can't give you any legal advice with respect to your situation, but when someone promises you something and doesn't deliver, then you may have a cause of action to sue upon, and get damages, just as I did.</p>

<p>I read all the threads.<br>

Specifically, do you expect to see any money? I could sue, but is it realistic to expect to receive the monetary award or my film?<br>

Also, how is it his site remains published?<br>

Can criminal charges could be filed against Dock?<br>

Did you determine if his house was sold?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>S Mark: The question is not whether I expect to see any money. The question is what should Steven Dock expect now that I have a judgment. The answer to that question is that he should expect that I will pursue him until either I collect my judgment or he returns the films to his customers or to Film Rescue as I have proposed. Filing a lawsuit against Dock was easy and inexpensive for me because I know how to do such things. I understand it would be difficult for some people to do. I encourage you to investigate bringing an action through the small claims division of a local court in your community. Small claims actions are uncomplicated and easy for non-lawyers to use.<br>

I don't know how he continues to solicit business through his website. Based on what we know about the IRS seizure of equipment, I don't know how he intends to perform the services. I'm not a criminal defense attorney, prosecutor, or law enforcement officer, so I don't know that constitutes a crime. But I do hope that law enforcement will investigate him and bring charges if appropriate. To that end if you are not a resident of Colorado, you might want to contact your own state's Attorney General to complain, and also follow up with the postal authorities. The more people that complain, the more likely action will be taken. <br>

Steven Dock has received an extension on his home until July 28, 2010. Personally, I hope he gets to keep his home so that I can file a lien against it for the amount of my judgment. That's one sure way to collect.</p>

<p>Does it matter what any of us say about these dismissive people? I wonder because they are STILL in business!<br>

Lea just brushes you off and you almost feel like you are about to be 'told off'! My film has been there over a year. Initially, Lea said, 4-6 months. I check in a 4, 5 and 6 months. Then she said 3 to 6 months more. i followed the same schedule. She FINALLY blurted out that it takes almost a year and I should call when the 12 months were completed. I did! Why didn't they say that up front!<br>

Then this guy, (the owner?) gave me a 'gentle' lecture about how these things take more than a year sometimes, and I am not the only one waiting for film to be transferred and returned! So, I suppose I am being unreasonable?! I have a feeling that these people have taken my $48.00 plus shipping and DUMPED my film in a trash barrel. They act like low-life low-class con artists.<br>

A simple courtesy card would have been nice to advise me of their progress. However, it is a joke to call there and hear this professional and friendly sounding answering message by LEA to leave your message, then abruptly, "GOODBYE!" and hangs up on you! They have to be laughing at all of us.<br>

Why doesn't Dateline NBC or some consumer program do a story and shut these people down. it almost feels like emotional abuse when you are waiting on your family history to be returned and they act like you are asking too much...ADDING.."WE ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO DO THIS IN THE COUNTRY!" Sounds like a business opportunity for someone out there who can truly serve the people with a good heart! Next phrase must be, "So, F*** off!" Has anyone prevailed against these people? Will I ever get my film back?</p>

<p>File complaints with the <a href="http://www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/initiatives/consumer_resource_guide/general_consumer_issues/complaints">Colorado Attorney General's Office</a></p>

<p><a href="https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/">Federal Trade Commission</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.bbb.org/">Better Business Bureau</a> - they'll worry about directing it to the proper branch.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ripoffreport.com/">Ripoff Report </a></p>

<p>As well as sue in small claims court - good luck in collecting!<br /> Above there's also a contact for complaining to the post master general or just go to USPS.gov</p>

<p><a href="http://clarkhoward.com/">Clark Howard (consumer advocate) </a>has a section on his message boards for reporting bad customer service and another board for scams.</p>

<p>RMFL ignores BBB complaints. I know from first hand experience. Look at the BBB file on them. My advice: don't waste your time with BBB.<br>

You can try some of the other government agencies (FTC, AG, USPS), but I wouldn't count on the government to come through for you.<br>

If you <em>REALLY, REALLY </em>want your film back here are 2 ways to do it:<br>

1. File a lawsuit seeking equitable relief in the form of a writ of replevin (an order for the return of property wrongfully held by another). Once you have the writ, you (or an agent) can go to Mr. Dock's house and ask him to give you your property. In some cases, local law enforcement agencies can help enforce the order. <strong>Check with a local attorney to see if this equitable remedy or a similar one is available to you in your state.</strong><br>

2. File a criminal complaint. In most states, the crime of theft is defined as obtaining or exerting unauthorized control over property. Once you've asked for your film to be returned, and Dock doesn't do it, he may be committing the crime of theft. Contact local authorities in your community and Mr. Dock's community to explore the possibility of filing a criminal complaint.<br>

In my case, I filed a lawsuit and he partially performed the services, but at least I got something back. The lesson there is if all you are doing is calling them every day, you probably aren't going to get the results you want. <strong>If your film is really that important to you, stop being a victim and take decisive action.</strong><br>

NOTE: I cannot give anyone advice as to how to handle their own unique circumstances. I'm just trying to let people know generally what they can do to try to get their property back.<br>

Good luck to all.</p>

<p><br />Joseph;</p>

<p>Did your deal with Mr Dock or RMFL when you sent in your film?</p>

<p>One is an actual person; another is a company</p>

<p>Are you sueing Mr Dock or RMFL that you contracted to develop the film? Or both?</p>

<p>Did you write checks to Mr Dock or RMFL? Or Both?</p>

<p>Is RMFL a corporation?</p>

<p>In your posts you wander between mentioning judgements against Mr Dock ( June 21 post) and mentioning that you "I, too, made the mistake of sending film to RMFL for processing -- almost two years ago" (May 08 post)<br /> <br /><br /> In your post of May 10; was it RMFL or Mr Dock that was sued in the 3 cases you sited<br /> <br /><br /> The reason I wonder about all this is a corporation may or may not shield a person working for the corporation.</p>

<p>I am just trying to understand if you are suing an employee of a company or the legal lab ie RMFL that you probably sent the film too.</p>

<p>I would think a lawyer would want to sort out if you are going after the chap personally for the wrongs of the company' or the company.</p>

<p>As I a mentioned before; sometimes us companys buy anothers junk; assets; old computers and file cabinets; and there is the last place's "old stuff". This can really be a negative asset; one has a mess of folks who want their stuff; or want services we never as a new owner bought into. Thus often it goes in the dumpster; like old manure or rotten meat. Or it just gets stored.</p>

<p>All through this old thread there are posts where folks act like Mr Dock and RMFL are the same; they may or may not be.</p>

<p>Has anybody talked to lawyer about this?</p>

<p>This is my guess for what the plan is at Rocky Mountain Film Lab<br /> They will have a third party bid on the processing equipment that will likely go for that starting bid of 3000 dollars because it’s all old and useless stuff to anyone else. Re-establish under a different name and continue in business. Seems like a long shot but it’s not impossible. Such re-establishment doesn’t happen over-night and then to have to get through a back log of what will be thousands of rolls that you’ve already been paid for will undoubtedly be a painful thing for Rocky Mountain. Their expected new time-line announcement on their website of the end of July corresponds well with what will be the outcome of this auction on July 7, giving them time to see if they've won the bid and then to look at where to set up and how.<br /> So...Will they then claim to be a new entity and try to collect from the clients a second time? If another company such as Dwanye's Photo, Film Rescue, Rapid Photo or Process C-22 get this work and make a request for additional payment it would be entirely legitimate as they will have truly not been compensated for the work to be done. Should a new company doing this work appear out of nowhere in the next few months offering to complete the work for an additional charge, you should just ask that your film be returned. This will be Rocky Mountain Film Lab part II.<br /> I see no other possible way of RMFL to continuing in business other to become a new entity and collect for the work again. Their reputation is shot so who will send them new work to make it possible for them to somehow, someway again become a profitable business. Why would they possibly want to continue as RMFL when a web search for the company primarily brings up complaints, warnings, rip-off reports and disappointments. On the other hand...reopen under a different name and there is a lot of work guaranteed and a lot of money to be made.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=6043141">Joseph A Kidd</a> wrote: "This guy is just plain bad."<br>

He's a crook, and so are his employees. I think the way he conducts "business" across state lines should earn much more attention than it has. If I had the time and means to do so, I would make it my goal to put him out of business and prosecute him and his employees to the fullest extent of the law. I'm glad Mr. Kidd is doing all that he has done.<br>

Mr. Kidd, how does he continue to get authorization from the credit card companies to steal from the public? Wouldn't that be one avenue to pursue?</p>

<p>You know that is a good thing to check out. We have a home based business ourselves and except Visa and Mastercard. I will call them tomorrow and report RMFL and see what I can do to have them investigate as well, and maybe get it so they wont take any of his charges. I'll report anything they say.</p>

<p>I have alerted Visa and Chase of RMFL and they both "said" they would look into it, whether or not they do it or not, I cannot tell you. I would advise that if you charged your purchase at RMFL, to call your chargecard's fraud dept. like I did and tell them of RMFL's practices. The more people that do this the more likely they will not be able to charge other people.</p>

<p>Joseph; <br /> If Acme Super lab buys RMFL's stuff like hardware; they really have not responsiblity to its debts; ie unfinished stuff from RMFL.</p>

<p>If you bought a bakery or an old labs stuff for for 3000 bucks would you work and spend 100,000 out of your life savings to finish off work from the other place where one gets no extra revenue?</p>

<p>No sane business person wants to take on a mess of angry customers and go unpaid to process and print a mess of stuff.</p>

<p>There is no money in it.</p>

<p>If the new owner is you and you call it "Joe Kidd Film Rescue" and you are at the same location; you have to deal with all the walk in folks and calls that they want their films.</p>

<p>John Doe might not care that JKFR has no legal connection to RMFL; they want their film back.</p>

<p>When I bought another print shop/lab out; some folks wanted to jump the counter and rifle thru flat files; remove negatives from file cabinets; or claim that they owned stuff that had anothers name on it.</p>

<p>Thus a new owner really does not want any toxic old baggage; a mess of debts or mess of labor to figure out.</p>

<p>As I mentioned before; much old stuff goes into the dumpster in a sale or reorganization</p>

<p>If a lab goes under; that old work is not an asset like cash or equipment; more like TOXIC waste or manure; or roaches; something to get rid of.</p>

<p>http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmiller/wanna-buy-rocky-mountain-film-labs-equipment-you-can/2123/</p>

<p>IRS Auction July 7 2010:<br /> <br /> http://www.treas.gov/auctions/irs/auco_comm_4499.htm</p>

<table border="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td >Title Offered:</td>

<td >Only the right, title and interest of the Taxpayer in and to the property will be offered for sale. There are no encumbrances</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="2"> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Jeepers; he has the same 19.2 Volt Craftsman drill as I do</p>

<p>From the Office of Consumer Fraud in Colorado:<br>

Dear Ms. Dravis:

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We are in receipt of your consumer complaint. In addition to documenting your issues to our files, we will also share your information with the Better Business Bureau. This will assist us to document trends, and the BBB may be able to mediate your issues as well. If your complaint is under the authority of another agency, we will forward your complaint for further processing.

If your complaint raises issues that are part of widespread deceptive practices that rise to the level of a statewide concern for Colorado consumers, our office will initiate an investigation. If your complaint does not fall under the direct supervisory authority of any federal or state agency or it involves a private contractual dispute, you may wish to pursue private remedies.

Sincerely,<br />Office of Consumer Fraud

</p>

<p>I saw this update posted to RMFL website:</p>

<h3 >June 2010</h3>

<p>Turn around times of in-house orders have been extended. We expect to have a timeline for in-house orders by the end of July. Please understand your film is in a safe, cool environment awaiting final processing. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide updates on individual orders at this time. Thank you for your continued patience.</p>

<p > Looks like Dock has a secret plan....<br>

</p>