Rocky Mountain Film Lab - WARNING

<p>I have been the squeaky wheel, I've called many times and continue to get the run around, it will be two years next month for me. Don't give these people any credit. We need to put them out of business, they are destroying peoples memories. I've now filed a complaint with the BBB in Denver. Below is my complaint - I've also been informed by the Photo Marketing Association International that they are not a member, but yet show their logo on their website.<br>

I provided old film to be developed in February 2007. At the time they were quoting 6 months for delivery later they changed this to a year. I have now been waiting almost 2 years. I have called numerous times that they provided excuses such as equipment broken and not enough film to process and based on this provided new delivery dates. Upon missing these dates I called them just to get new dates and excuses. Also, I sent numerous Emails about delivery and NEVER received responses. I have more then tried to work with them. Their most recent commitment when they missed delivery in September 2008 was by the end of the year. Upon missing this date I called and talked to Lea and she thought it went to the post office, and would confirm and call me back that afternoon. Never heard a thing! I called again and was told she was gone, and would call me. No responses. I then call and talked to the owner Steve Dock, didn't go into the history, just ask for status. He said he would check and call me back, I tried to get him to say by when, but would not commit. He said he had 15 people ahead of me. It has now been three days and have heard nothing. Based on the complaints to the BBB, WE NEED TO PUT THIS GUY OUT OF BUSINESS!!!! They are dealing with peoples memories, and this film belongs to my mother in law and elderly lady who has cancer and may not have much longer to live. She continually asks me about the film and why we haven't received anything. Looking at the complaints on the BBB site, my problems sound identical to the problems shown. Also, he shows a logo for the Photo Marketing Association International leading you to believe he is part of this organization, I have contacted this organization, and they have told me he is NOT a member. They will be asking him to remove this logo, but it show what kind of company this is.</p>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>More on Rocky Mountain from http://blogs.courant.com/george_gombossy/2009/01/rocky-mountain-film-lab-fails.html#more - </p>

<h2 >1 Comments</h2>

By Deb on <a href="http://blogs.courant.com/george_gombossy/2009/01/rocky-mountain-film-lab-fails.html#comment-79691"><abbr title="2009-01-13T19:04:41-05:00">January 13, 2009 7:04 PM</abbr> </a>

<p>I have been reading the blogs on the google site for sometime now since I too am going through the same thing a lot of others are going through when it comes to Rocky Mountain Film Lab. I sent my old film on July 5, 2007. They cashed my personal check on July 11,2007 so I know they did receive it. <br /> The web site I read in 2007 stated it will take 6 to 12 months to process the film. I tried to be patient and did not call them until June 19, 2008 just weeks before I thought I was going to receive my prints. I was told then that they were processing moving film and had not started the photo film. I accepted that answer. June 25th I called and was told they were in the process of moving or moving things around. Again I accepted that answer. Aug. 28, 2008 I called again and was told they were processing the film but needed to put them into prints which will take another 4 to 6 weeks. Sixteen weeks went by and still no film/prints. I wrote them a e-mail on Dec. 3, 2008 and told them I almost sent them 8 other rolls of film along with the one I sent back in 2007 but am Thankfull I did not because it is easier to take to heart the feeling of being scammed out of almost $30.00 instead of almost $270.00. I told them I felt that they just tossed my film in the garbage right after my check cleared due to the fact that they state "No guarntees/No refunds. After reading their web site in 2007 and then again in 2008 I noticed they have changed things. Now they say they are not responsible if an employee loses and or damages your film along with the No guarntee/No refund policy. Another words, they are pretty well covered and anyone who sends them their film, a check, money order or credit card number is pretty well taking a big risk. I wanted to give this company the benefit of the doubt but now I too am doubting I will get my film/prints back. They did not respond to my e-mail even though I gave them 30 days to do so or I will take further action. I still didn't want to give up on this Company so I decided to take the advise of one women who said she got her prints after calling everyday. Jan. 5, 2009 I started calling them everyday and everyday they have something new to say but on Jan. 6,2009 I talked to a women named Daneen and she told me she had already developed my film type and she would find it for me and have Leah call me back. No response The last call was yesterday. They told me they were cutting the negitives and will get ahold of me when they will be sent out. If they were already developed why would they be cutting the negitives? I really don't know what is going on. Maybe they are really trying. Maybe they are really overwhelmed with more film then their company can handle. I can't say. All I can say is it has been a year and a half since I sent in my one roll of film to be developed along with a personal check and have not got anything back from them. I feel for the people in other countries who can't call everyday. Time will tell. I hope they are on the up and up. Deb</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Update -<br>

Continuing to contact Rock Mountain Film, it was only after saying I would be providing a complaint to the BBB (which I did) did I finally receive a call back. I believe it was the owner, Steve Dock. He stated that he had found my film, which, after almost two years, was still awaiting processing, and that upon examining it, there was no film in the can. As I stated before, I was at his mercy, and certainly cannot say without a shadow of a doubt that there was film in the container. I honestly don't know. But having myself developed film in the past, it is hard for me to believe that I would not have turned the cylinder to see if I could hear film inside. I think the feel of it turning with film and without film would feel different, and one would know if film was inside the can or not. Wouldn't one also believe upon opening the package with the film that they would have realized it was an empty can? After all the excuses and run around, it is truly hard to believe anything they say. He, Mr Dock, said he would provide a refund, and I waited to see if I would receive that prior to providing this update. He also returned an empty film can, which was unopened, I can't say for sure that this is the original can.<br>

That is my story, even though he has returned my money, that does not excuse this company of all the run around they have done over the past two years.<br>

I continue with my recommendation that no one should use their services as they have shown themselves to be very unreliable. I did see a comment on line that there is another company doing this processing and I think that that company should be tried. <br>

Below is update on someone's experience who was finally successful in receiving her film back. Does anyone want to do daily calling to get a company to do what they promised in good faith? Not me!</p>

By Deb on <a href="http://blogs.courant.com/george_gombossy/2009/01/rocky-mountain-film-lab-fails.html#comment-81659"><abbr title="2009-01-26T18:06:31-05:00">January 26, 2009 6:06 PM</abbr> </a>

<p>Hi,<br /> This is an update on Rocky Mountain Film Lab.<br /> Today I received my film/prints. I was so excited. It did take over a year and a half but after taking the advise of the women in the other blog about calling them everyday seemed to work. <br /> I haven't decided who I will have develop the other 8 rolls but now that I know they turned out I will, by all means get the others developed. It was very heart warming to look at old almost forgotten memories for the very first time.<br /> Good Luck to the rest of you. I really hope everyone gets their film and I hope it doesn't take as long as it did me and all the others who are still waiting and have been waiting way longer then me. My heart goes out to all of you cause I do know what you are going through. <br /> That Company needs to do something to get their customers film out to them much much sooner. Deb</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Continuing my comment from Aug 2008. Now 20 months since my film was received by them...I called today and asked to "check the status of my film that has been there more than a year and a half". I was put on hold longer than I previously was when calling and Leah has promised that it will be in Friday's mail. Sounds like they just wait to develop it until you start calling repeatedly. Not a good way to do business. I still am not holding my breath. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Well, I sent these idiots 6 rolls of old undeveloped film 2.5 years ago! I've been calling every so often and keep getting the same excuses as the rest of you. However last fall they started telling me they had been developed but were awaiting transfer to DVD. Before Christmas they even told me they had been shipped. But that didn't happen. Then I had a somewhat contentious phone call in January but let it go in hopes they'd do something. I called on Monday and they said it would be out by Friday and that they would call. I won't hold my breath either. If I don't get it next week, I'll be filing a complaint with the BBB and I may contact some local media in Boulder to see if they know anything about this company. Argh...<br>

Wendy, did you get anything yet?</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>I sent a roll of Extachrome film to them in May of 2007 and still do not have my photos back. I have made numerous calls to them about it. I have been given all sorts of excuses as to why they are not finished.<br>

First I was told (after about 8 months) that they had not received enough orders to begin processing the film. <br>

I called about 6 months later (about 1 year now) and was told the SAME story.<br>

I called back at about 18 months in and was told they were beginning the process within about 1 or 2 months.<br>

I then called last May (now 2 years waiting) and was told the film was processed and waiting for prints. They refused to give me a date they would be finished.<br>

I called back in late June and was told the same story. I asked if my negatives could just be sent back and they agreed. I never got them.<br>

I called again in July this year. I was told that they said they would call me as soon as they pulled the negatives; yet they agreed to send them to me the last time I called.<br>

I called today and low and behold they have no records that I called about getting the negatives. She stated that my film was developed AND that the prints were being retouched. I don't get it? I was so upset about this I asked for the owner to call me....we will see.<br>

I already went through the BBB and they failed to respond. So their reputation (in my opinion) is poor. I even wonder if they really developed my film.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Update: I did end up filing a BBB complaint earlier this year. It did no good. They didn't respond to the complaint and all BBB apparently does is send a couple of letters then close the case if they don't hear from the company. Argh. I then ended up actually talking to the owner, Steve Dock, back in June. He said he was handed my order and that 5 of the 6 rolls had been developed and transferred to DVD. He didn't know when the 6th would be done. So I asked him to send me what they had done. He agreed to do that...NOT! He also complained that he had been wasting a lot of time responding BBB complaint letters. I call BS on that one since he didn't respond to mine at all. What gall. Anyway, I gave him a couple of weeks to send out what he had and as of Oct. 11, I have NOTHING! I have called at least a dozen times since July and leaving messages for this guy to no avail. I have never dealt with a company this unresponsive to its customers. Unbelievable. I really can't help but think that this whole thing is a scam to steal money from unsuspecting people. ARGH!!<br>

Does anyone reading this live in or near Aurora, CO? It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually gone there recently. At this point I'm thinking of sending a letter to the Colorado Attorney General's office. It's been 3 long years...........<br /> </p>

<p>Good luck Laura. You will probably never get anything back though and be incredibly frustrated in the meantime. I think there are a couple of other actually reputable companies that do this work too. You may to do some searches.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Thank you everyone for your warning on Rocky Mountain Film. I was about to send some ECNII to them, but then stumbled on your comments. (Due to a typo while googling them.)<br>

After about 2 hours of research I found 2 labs that will process ECN2 film. I have yet to send to either one, but I feel confident in getting results back.<br>

Thanks again, everyone!</p>

<ul>

<li>The Camera Shop<br />25 7th Ave. S.<br />St. Cloud, MN 56301<br />800-793-0112<br />http://www.thecamerashop.com</li>

<li>Film Rescue International<br />255 Main St<br />Fortuna, ND 58844<br />(also have a Canadian address - see website)<br />800-329-8988<br />http://www.filmrescue.com/ </li>

</ul>

• 1 month later...
<p>FINAL UPDATE: Well, it's a Christmas miracle! I actually got my order back today. The results were lousy, and pretty much nonexistent for 2 of the film rolls, but it's probably just because they were old and not stored like they should have been. At least I know RMFL does process film. I was certainly starting to doubt it. I don't recommend sending them anything though. This took over 3 freakin' years and numerous phone calls. Their owner doesn't know the meaning of customer service at all. The other people who answer the phone seem nice enough, but they don't have the authority to do much. So that's the end of it. Next time I have any kind of film processing or transfer done, I'll do a lot more research first! </p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>Well, I am back as it has been since September since I last posted here. I still have NOT received my developed film. I tried to call them today but was directed strait to voice mail that "was full" and told to call back later.</p>

<p>I do NOT recommend anyone using this service. They have had my film for almost 3 years and that is far more than enough time to process it. The last 3 times I was able to contact someone I was told my film was devolped and awaiting processing of prints. I even asked for the devolped film rather than prints and told they would get it out whithin a week...that never happened.</p>

<p>BE FOREWARNED. I lost about 28 bucks over this. Boy am I glad that is all. Why would anyone use this companies services?</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hello Everyone-<br />I was just on Google attempting to find the owner of Rocky Mountain Film. Reason is that I can never reach anyone at the company and have no idea where my film is that I sent them almost two years ago. Also was hoping to confirm they were a legitimate company.<br>

As you can imagine, I was disappointed to stumble upon this posting. As soon as I read the title I smacked myself in the head for not doing research on this company prior to entrusting them with a roll of film that may mean the world to my family.<br /><br />To clarify, I lost my older brother when a drunk driver struck him while walking 10 years ago. When I was going through an old bag of his belongings I found a roll of film in a camera from our childhood. I recall how many pictures we used to take of each other and our sister...all having fun together. My parents and sister were shocked to hear about this roll of film and we have been waiting on pins and needles to see what was on the roll.</p>

<p >J. Raabe thank you for starting this trail all the way back in 2003. Scary to find they are still in business stealing from people. While writing this I contacted the Denver Better Business Bureau to submit a complaint and learned they have an “F” rating.<br /><br />Here is the owner’s information:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Steven K. Dock</p>

<p >(303) 366-8222<br />727 S. Nome Street</p>

<p >Aurora, CO 80012-3246<br>

Another address I found:<br />560 Geneva Street<br />Aurora, CO 80010-4305<br>

<br>

Kind Regards,<br />R. Sabine</p>

<p>I have been searching for my film also. I sent them 8 rolls in Sept 2008. They debited my account immediatly. I still have not recieved my film back or a refund of money. I have talked to them at least seven times over the course of two years. I am now in the process of filing police reports. I have spoken to the town business liscencing and they also have not been able reach them also. They no longer have a current liscence. The previous address in this blog is the owners home address. I am a professional photogrpaher and sent customers film to them! Needless to say I am the one in trouble!!!<br>

Does anyone live out that way???</p>

<p>For what it's worth and we have been mentioned a couple of times here, we process all of the films that RM did and are a member of the BBB in good standing. We understand the importance of these lost and found vintage unprocessed film. The significance of them can be the last new glimpse a family member may have of a long lost loved one. We take that very seriously.</p>

<p>Sorry if this is considered spam. I felt it would be mutually beneficial.</p>

<p>Greg Miller<br>

www.filmrescue.com</p>

<p>I, too, made the mistake of sending film to RMFL for processing -- almost two years ago. After several attempts (by phone, email, and federal express) to get a response, I got none. I filed a BBB complaint. No response to that either. So, I filed suit in April, 2010. I'm an attorney, so that's easy for me. I had Steven Dock personally served at home. And guess what? A package arrived this week from RMFL. However, only the negatives were sent. No print. No DVD (though I ordered and paid for it). No refund either. So, the suit will continue. I'm suing him for, among other things, fraud. This guy should be run out of business.</p>

<p>I just talked to Steve the owner of RMFL and he states that all the film sent is still in the office but for some reason he is unable to get into the building. I didn't press him for more info as I was very happy to finally get someone on the phone after months of no answer at RMFL.<br>

Thanks to the other poster (R. Sabine) for giving Steve the owners phone number and to Joseph A Kidd, please let me know your details so I can use your services on getting some action on my film. If there is any one with more info please let me know at: canausiri@live.com<br>

I don't know why things are the way they are with Steve. I didn't want to press too much as he seemed to be trying to honestly get it done... I'm still hoping that he will send my film back.</p>

<p>After having conducted a search of Colorado Court records, it appears that Mr. Dock is no stranger to lawsuits in the recent past:</p>

<ul>

<li>2010 (4/23) – Sued by Bert and Brook Davidson in Small Claims court. Case is currently pending. </li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>2009 (09/17) – Sued by Landmark Western, LLC for Forcible Entry and Detainer. This kind of lawsuit is filed to force a non-paying tenant out of real estate occupied by the tenant. Landmark Western is a property manager and broker for commercial and residential real estate in Colorado. </li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>2009 (09/08) – Sued by Wells Fargo Bank NA for what appears to be Colorado’s version of Foreclosure. (Rule 120 Deeds of Trust Action). An order of some kind was issued on 09/18/09 upon a motion to authorize sale. </li>

</ul>

<p>I'll let you all draw your own conclusions about why Mr. Dock can't get into his building.</p>

<p>Thanks for the update Joseph.... wish you didn't dig deeper :(.<br>

Lance you beat me to the punch in calling Steve. I just called his home number and to my surprise he answered. We spoke for 10 minutes. He says he was forced to stop his operation due to a few compliants that reached the Colorado Attorney Generals office. He said a few people have stated he is running a fraud. He states he simply got behind in processing film and took on more than he could handle. His machines weren't set up ready, yada, yada, yada. Processing film for Katrina really put him behind and created a snowball effect. HUH, I didn't get this one but maybe that is the typical line scammers use?<br>

He has no access to the building as he has been locked out. In the next few weeks he "should" have answer from attorney if he can get back in. He is hoping to open back up and process all the film before end of year. If he can't get back in business he said worst case scenario he will get all the film and place it in storage. <br>

Told him at the very least to post a message on his website stating the truth, keeping customers in the loop, so we are all not stuck wondering what's going on.<br>

For a fraudster he sure seemed low key but I guess that's what makes him so good at stealing.<br>

In summary, those like me waiting on getting their film I think we are screwed.<br /><br />Going forward, if anyone has any new information please post.</p>

<p>Thanks for the update, RS. I guess my first inclination is not to believe him. Period. About anything. But I know he is telling the truth about complaints being made to the Colorado AG because I made one myself (as well as complaint to the Federal Trade Commission). The story about the AG shutting down his business is easily verifiable. I sent an email to their office today asking them to confirm any actions they are, or have already, taken against Dock and his business. Given the recent foreclosure action, however, I'm very, very doubtful. If the AG had shut down his business, why would the website still be operational? Doesn't make sense. I will let you know what the AG has to say.</p>

<p>What doesn't make sense is that Joseph A Kidd got his film back when they're supposed to be 'locked up'. Seems to me that Steve is able to reach the film if he really wants to. Steve advised me to send RMFL an e-mail inquiring about the status of my film. I have done so but as of yet heard nothing back. I would be interested in getting a legal firm to serve Steve as Joseph has done. If anyone would like to ride along with me, let me know.</p>

<p>More research, more bad news. The Colorado AG may or may not be after Mr. Dock, but the IRS certainly is. On April 7, the IRS filed an action in federal court to seize all of his assets and sell them to pay his delinquent taxes. According to affidavits filed in the case, Mr. Dock owes the IRS over $50,000 for unpaid taxes going back to 2004. I have copies of all court filings and will share them with anyone who wants to see them.</p>