Rocky Mountain Film Lab - WARNING

<p>I WANT MY ROLLS OF FILM BACK!! I am looking for the link to the attorney handling this case. I sent two rolls of film to them 2 years ago and through many calls and many no return calls I am sick to learn of this. Now, I live in MD and I want my rolls of film back. I want to be able to get in touch with whoever is handling this case so I (and I suspect many others) can get their undeveloped film back. Sure, I am out 80 dollars but I am out more than that if I cannot get my film back. If anyone has any information to the attorney I can reach I would greatly appreciate it. FYI..I have tried to send emails to RMFL and they too are not going through. I have two very sentimental rolls of film of military nature and I would be happy to pay someone else to develop them. I just want them developed and my film DOES NOT belong to RMFL. Therefore it cannot be sold! It is mine..and I want it back. Sincerely, Kayleen Edwards.</p>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I apologize to those whose film has taken longer than expected. Unfortunately, I have let a number of people down by not getting results as quickly as I had planned. It makes me feel depressed to read the posts here. I have been processing these old films since they were current and my first priority has always been to get the best results possible. I appreciate the patience of those who have been waiting and understand why people have gotten frustrated. If our positions were reversed I would certainly feel the same. <br /> <br />I am not going to make excuses: I failed in meeting the very reasonable demands of my clients and did not keep the promises I made. There is no excuse for the lack of communication and failure to deliver on time. I have unsuccessfully tried to manage this situation in a timely and appropriate manner. I am receiving assistance with the business side of matters so that I can focus on what I do best which is getting the memories from forgotten films.<br /> <br />I will post updates on <a href="http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/news.htm">www.rockymountainfilm.com/news.htm</a> Please know that I will do my best to learn from my mistakes and not allow them to repeat in the future. Thank you for your understanding.<br /> <br />--Steve</p>

<p>One big mistake you have made Steve is NOT keeping your clients informed! I have gone two years with only two phone calls! I spoke to Leah 6 months ago who told me she had her hand on my film (quite personally) and that they were in the process of being developed and I would have them in a month or two..so later. That was 6 months ago. I have made well over 20 calls in the last 4 months only being able to leave two message. I have gotten not one return call! I have left you and your company my name, number, address and all ways possible to reach me yet nobody has done so! Leaving me hanging here has been a horrible experience. No business should do that. You could have at least called back and been upfront about the matter of my film. It is sickening to learn all about your company AFTER THE FACT on a Google search. Okay, I am saddened you are going through a rough time in your life but can you PLEASE SEND ME MY FILM BACK!!!!! Can you at least make GOOD on something???</p>

<h2>Steve, you make a very heart felt statement above mine and then you direct everyone to your website/news.htm leading us all to believe you are going to tell us something important about your business and perhaps information on where our film is and the process of it. So, after reading your apologies I go to your website thinking I will further read more apologies on the delay of processed film and I get this...apparently another DISCLAIMER passing off any damage to film on the UPS or USPS. Well you already have my two rolls of film and I WANT IT BACK!!! It is clear you have not nor have any intentions of developing it...after two years! You have had your chance. Now, send it back to me! You have my address and if you need it again please take a second of your time to ask me for it! Good grief is that too much to ask?? I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH YOU AND YOUR COMPANY!!!! For anyone wondering...here is the big news Steve has posted on his website.</h2>

<h2>Shipping Information</h2>

<p>We've moved to 11801 E 33rd Ave Ste A, Aurora, CO 80010 USA.<br>

Sending your film to Rocky Mountain Film via the US Mail is still safe. We recommend indicating in large type the contents of your package as "Undeveloped Photographic Materials" along with "Do Not X ray".<br>

For the most recent update from the USPS, click <a href="http://www.usps.com/news/facts/lfu_012902.htm">HERE</a>.<br>

<strong> US Mail to be sterilized</strong>: Implications for Kodak and the photo industry <br>

To protect public health and ensure confidence in the US Mail system, the United States Postal Service (USPS) is installing new equipment to sanitize certain items sent through the mail. While various sanitizing technologies can damage film and other sensitive materials, the USPS has issued the following statement:<br>

<br>

"The USPS is working with the mailing industry to develop procedures to ensure that sanitization of the mail will not damage sensitive items in the mail. Sanitization technology is currently being tested on a wide range of film products, digital and magnetic storage devices, laboratory samples, food and plant products, and "smart" credit cards with embedded chips to ensure that all business mail can be safely processed through the postal system."<br>

<br>

Therefore, based upon this statement and upon other information from USPS shared with Kodak and the photo industry, it appears that current photographic commerce in all its forms will be unaffected.<br>

Kodak will issue further statements as new information becomes available. <small >© Eastman Kodak Company, 1994-2001.</small></p>

<p>Nice of Mr. Dock to acknowledge his unhappy customers with such nice words. But how many empty words has Mr. Dock given us? Sadly, too many. Frankly, I wish he would spend his time trying to process film or respond personally to the complaints of his customers instead of making grandiose website proclamations of his good intentions. Talk is cheap. If Mr. Dock is serious about what he says, then he needs to shut down his website until he clears the backlog. Until he does that he is still misleading people, still taking their money for services he can't provide. <br>

I talked to the Colorado Attorney General's Office today and to the Colorado Department of Revenue. They tell me that the state of Colorado has not shut down his business. I'm guessing the IRS did. <br>

Here's a copy of one of the filings:</p>

<div>00WRV6-243415684.thumb.jpg.7af1e45d4cf7d2e8be5e1a26608c5756.jpg</div>

<p>For those that are concerned about never getting their film back I can't say for sure one way or another but I know Steve Doc and though we too have had some issues with RMFL, he doesn't strike me as a bad person. I still believe that people will eventually get their film back and I do believe the essentials of his explanation. For what it's worth, we're available to help and are open to ideas. Maybe things could be diffused with as little harm as possible to all parties.</p>

<p>Greg Miller<br /> Film Rescue International<br /> www.filmrescue.com</p>

<p>May 15th 2010 The RMFL website has vanished (just like my film). There must be hundreds of people who have been ripped off and simply want their film back. Since the biz has been taken, some third party will have our property. Common sense says that they'd return what is obviously not theirs especially since it should be a responsible gov body. Any ideas on who to contact to claim our film? Would like to get on the list of ripped off customers. </p>

<p>On Wednesday, May 12, Steven Dock (without an attorney) filed a letter in his IRS case asking the court to order the IRS to give him an complete inventory of the property they seized and to order the IRS to pay the rent on his facility. The order was denied the next day for being out of compliance with the federal rules of civil procedure. It is difficult to fight the IRS even with a good attorney, but nearly impossible to do without one.<br>

The website was up on Thursday morning at 11:00 Eastern. I'm just speculating, but maybe he took it down when he got the court's order.<br>

If you are one of the unfortunate people with their film still with RMFL, let me know and I will try to help.</p><div>00WT0C-244269584.thumb.jpg.6f570d94beb801b70c4e51d6d4e43697.jpg</div>

<p>I sent several hundred slides to Steve and yes it took a very, very long time. However I was more then satisfied with my product. He gave me much more then we agreed on for no extra charge. I spoke to him many times and i truly believe Steve is a good man with good intensions and you will get your film back. Can anyone imagine how he is feeling right now? Good luck, I do think he'll come throgh and I hope your cases all trun out as mine did.</p>

<p>I sent 9 rolls of 40 yr. old film to these people over 26 months ago, at a cost of nearly $340, which was debited from my credit card immediately. I am not a photographer, so I relied on advice that the company was highly reputable. I waited a year before I started phoning about my order. Now, many phone calls later, and after hearing all the same excuses as other posters have mentioned, I fear all is lost! The last conversation in March 2010 told me that "all my film had been converted to disc, some had been printed", and that "if I needed faster service" they could send me the completed discs immediately and I could take them to Wal-mart for printing. Upon replying that this was not acceptable since they already has my money, I was told to "wait a couple of months more". Is there any hope of rescuing ANY of this?</p>

<p>Here I used Rocky Mountain Film Lab years ago to process our customers old C22 stuff.</p>

<p>I have not sent them any film probably in 5 years; thus did not get into many folks here's wait or lost films.</p>

<p>I use to develop folks old C22 in B&W and print it; before using RMFL. One has to deal with customers old films that they hope will have masterpiece lost images; when often is is blanks; double exposures a bunch of junk. Then they do not wait to pay you if it is over the counter. It got to be I only wanted to deal with known customers; it was a massive headache. It is a great business if one wants to be a punching bag; or get sworn at; or have folks not want to pick up the work if duds. It is more fun to clean out a sewer with one hands than deal with the few poor customers.</p>

<p>Thus here I dropped the whole "old film rescue" service due to burnout. In the C22 days one would have to collect enough rolls to make mixing a kit up worth while. It might take 2 to 4 months the make a batch worth while and one would spend more time dealing with antsy customers. One could tell somebody it would take 2 to 4 months and then then call you every week. It is a great service if you want badgering; or to constantly explain why one cannot do the task in 1/4 the time quoted.</p>

<p>Hopefully the IRS will not chuck out the folks film here.</p>

<p>Even in camera repair this type of decline has happened. The repair chap gets behind; parts are hard to find; ones eyes get poorer. A friend had this happened. The coffee and donuts crowd want instant updates; emails; and one has a camera with screws all corroded and they are still stuck. It can be a thankless job. Towards the end my friend would spend 3/4 his time with customers wanting updates on items that were a mess to work on; corroded messes where it one broke the corroded screw the entire job became worse.</p>

<p>Thus as labs and repair shops close the stuff can get lost in the shuffle; or not fixed. It really has little source of new blood; one has a declining market and folks with high expectations all pumped up on coffee and donuts.</p>

<p>What if that dying lab or dying repair shop gets auctioned off?</p>

<p>Will the new owner really want to sort out a zoo of unknown stuff; or just chuck it like a doctors old records?<br>

<br /> In printing a new owner of a print shop often dumps all unknown stuff into the dumpster. On can have records stored from Jones and Smith; but now they are not partners. Thus both fight over the "stuff" like in a divorce; a massive mess. </p>

<p>Does anyone know who I need to call for the IRS seizing all this property? I am not going to lie down easily and I will continue to call Aurora, CO and chew the ear off of anyone who is willing to listen! There has to be some kind of law protecting all of our property???</p>

<p>There's a lot of speculation going on here. Just to clear the air a little bit, there are behind the scene discussions going on and I'm confident that these precious films are not going to end up in a dumpster. One way or another at this point I'm fairly confident someone will be developing these films. It's too early to give details as none have been worked out and there is so much up in the air. I have talked with the Doc family and tossing these in a dumpster is something I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let happen and given the opportunity neither would we.</p>

<p>Greg Miller<br>

Film Rescue International</p>

<p>Here's the latest news I've received from Mr. Kevin White who is the irs agent handling Mr. Docks case. Mr. Dock will be picking up the film property that may belong to customers. Mr. White is only able to release this property to Mr. Dock at this time. We can assume that we will have our property back shortly after Friday, May 21. That is if Mr. Dock does the right thing. But at least we can hope...<br>

Mr. Dock, Please return our films, processed or not. <br /> <br />If you have any questions concerning this, Mr White's details are as follows:<br>

kevin.n.white@irs.gov <br>

720-956-4328.<br /> <br /> </p>

<p>Greg;<br /> The point about the dumpster is that *if* there is an auction of assets; or a businesses "stuff" is sold ; stuff can disappear. It does happen.</p>

<p><br /> I have bought stuff from a lab that got closed down and found stuff still in file cabinets; in boxes by scanners; folks negatives still in the flatbeds holders. Stuff still undeveloped . A lab tried to sell me a printer and scanner that turned out to still be under lease for cash; thus one can have a business assets going out the door before the doors are closed; and the lease company now has to try to repo assets one bought without clear title.</p>

<p>Here I have many cublic feet of rolls of film; negatives; prints that will probably someday go into a landfill when I croak. Its the "unknown stuff" that came with the scanners; printer; laminator, file cabinets that I got in an auction and some from the leasing company. I ran an local advert and had a note at one of my counters and I think maybe 1 or 2 rolls or negatives got back to the original owners.</p>

<p>Unless there is a caring human in the loop a businesses stuff from another factory; from an auction; from a downsizing or moving can be lost and fragmented. The new person may be less of a packrat; or not want to deal with a zoo of stuff from the old group.</p>

<p>If Mr Dock can still be involved the chances of folks stuff getting back to them radically rise.</p>

<p>If another persons deals with the stuff; they may NOT know that say for example that Kayleens stuff is 3 rolls of 126 C22 stuff from DisneyWorld; or that Joe's stuff is a baseball game in 127; or Johns stuff is Bantum/828.</p>

<p>***** Thus *ANY* extra info that can be passed on in a letter or request *helps* match the wayward stuff to back to you.</p>

<p>I would imagine the reason his web site is up is equipment is being sold off:</p>

<p>http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/equipmt.htm</p>

<p>They moved less than 1 year ago</p>

<p>http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/news.htm</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td valign="top">

<h2>May 2010</h2>

<p>We apologize for the delays in processing of films. We still have your film. We recently moved and are in a period of re-organization. We are not able to offer a specific answer regarding your film. Thank you for your patience. We will provide updates on our progress as they become available.</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Some news from Mr. Dock concerning our film would be appreciated. Since the 21st of May he has been given back our film from the irs. Mr. Dock, could you please inform us if in fact you have our film and what you plan to do with it. I don't care at this point if the film has been processed, I just want it back. If I have to pay for postage to get it back, I will. Mr Dock. PLEASE enlighten us.</p>

<p>I got a phone call yesterday from a Leah of RMFL and she said they DO have my film and understand that I want it sent back. She said they will do their best to send it back to me. At least this time I wasn't told it is in processing...like the times before. She left a lengthy message on my phone and I wish that was one call I would have been able to take. I certainly hope they do right by their customers and send all the film back!</p>

<p> </p>

<p >Dear Mr. Dock, </p>

<p >You may not be aware, but I have attempted several times to reach your son, Jon, as your personal representative, to discuss with him a proposal for an amicable resolution of my lawsuit against you, which would serve your customers as well. My attempts to contact your son were in vain. Thus, I am writing to you in this open forum with the hope that you might read this.</p>

<p >Please know that I am principally motivated to get some measure of justice for all of your customers affected by the apparent closing of Rocky Mountain Film Lab. You promised us service, which you failed to deliver. Given the IRS action and recent past litigation, your ability to make us whole is in doubt. You are in possession of significant amounts of film without apparent means to return or process the film, or refund amounts paid to you for services, which you cannot render. That is a sad state of affairs, indeed, but not one entirely incapable of some partial resolution. To that end, I propose the following terms:</p>

<p > 1. You will provide to Film Rescue International a complete inventory of all unprocessed film, including customer contact information.</p>

<p > 2. Film Rescue International will attempt to contact the customers based on the information on the list and offer to process the film at a significantly discounted rates and on certain terms and conditions.</p>

<p > 3. Film Rescue International will identify those customers who wish them to process their film, and you will release the film to Film Rescue International. We will work out the logistics for this element of the agreement.</p>

<p > 4. You will assign your rights, title and interest in your web domain and telephone number to Film Rescue International, and will use your best efforts to assist them in communicating with your former customers.</p>

<p > 5. I will dismiss my lawsuit against you.</p>

<p > 6. Film Rescue International will forgive your indebtedness from a prior transaction.</p>

<p >I believe this proposal serves your interests resolving the logistical and financial problems you face in attempting to return film to the rightful owners, ending our litigation, and satisfying your outstanding obligations to Film Rescue International. </p>

<p >Above all, however, the interests of your customers are served by allowing them to get their film finally processed.</p>

<p >Please contact me directly or through a representative to discuss this proposal. You have my contact information.</p>

<p >I look forward to hearing from you soon.</p>

<p >Best regards, </p>

<p >Joseph A. Kidd</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Joe; will another business (FRI) want to take on another's (RMFL)losses and messy unknown obligations and deal with it?</p>

<p>What if there are 1000 folks who all claim they already paid; and it requires 10 to 50k to find; catalog; develop; print and mail their stuff?</p>

<p>Are folks here willing to pay a 3rd party who takes on this debt another 10 to 50 bucks each per 1000 folks?</p>

<p>If RMFL went under it might be like many other labs and printers get its old "stuff" gets sold at the auction. The folks who buy this "stuff" look for assets; not liabilities.</p>

<p>If there was not enough cash flow to finish off the work in progress and a Lab goes under; unless there is a human in the loop who knows "what is what" stuff can be tossed; or a mess</p>

<p>The new owner might not want to open up Pandora's Box 1000 times.</p>

<p>One might have paid jobs that require each hundreds to develop and print; paid for in 2007 and the new owner may not want to take on this huge debt. I have seen at print shop were the new buyer says they have no obligations to old stuff; and the pesky stuff all goes into dumpsters.</p>

<p>THere is a massive unknown if the "stuff" is all organized; or a massive mess; ie the new owner is at a loss.</p>

<p>Probably RMFL's prices have been too low; thus not enough cash buffer for the recession . The owner Steve probably got overwelmed and needed more help but could not afford it. Folks here are assuming that RMFL has the manpower to sort out the backlog. The poor chaps might be on fumes and overwelmed in a sea of backlog.</p>

<p>It is a bad situation. </p>

<p>

<p >In response to Kelly and anyone else that might be interested.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >As I have mentioned to Joe Kidd, doing the work is not the problem - it's the logistical and administrative nightmare that might be involved in getting this work done.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >We have little doubt that pretty much all of RMFL clients have already made a significant payment to them...it has been duly noted by other posters here that RMFL had received payment from them already. We understand this and have been working out an approach to this work to impact the clients as insignificantly as possible, still manage to cover our costs and do a decent job of it all at the same time. To our advantage and a significant detail on what kind of price we will be able to offer, will be RMFL agreeing to relinquishing their rights, title and interest in their web domain and telephone number as mentioned in Joe Kidd's post. As direct competitors to RMFL this of course will be an asset leaving only Rapid Photo in the USA and Process C-22 in the UK in competition for this work.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Of course anyone that is willing to step into this will be looking for assets and perhaps there will be another company out there that will be interested in not only the existing work but also in the physical assets of RMFL which could be the better deal from RMFL’s standpoint. I have a good deal of confidence in our abilities and experience. I am not aware of another provider that could simply step in and serve the client as well as we will be able to. Before any such deal with another provider is struck, it is our intention to make it public what the client's option would be with us, should we have the opportunity to do this work.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >While we are not yet willing to make an announcement on the price that we will be offering to the Rocky Mountain refugees, at this point it is our intention to be fully guaranteeing the still film work, no detectable image no charge and to have a hugely discounted price for the motion picture clients who’s films do not turn out. In our opinion having these guarantees are essential to having the confidence of the client that we will be doing our best to do this work properly. One caveat to this will be how the film was stored during it’s stay at RMFL. We keep careful records of how each type of film trends in a given process and should these films be significantly out of trend we may have to reconsider our approach to this. Like you said…it could be a real mess. This we don’t deny but making an effort in this could not only be a good thing for us, it’s also the right thing to do.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >All this said, the best case scenario for the client would be that RMFL does manage to reorganize and get this work done properly and out their door at no extra cost to the client.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Film Rescue International enjoys a very good reputation and it is not without reason. Maintaining this reputation through both the negotiations with RMFL and possibly carrying out this work for clients that wish us to, will be a huge issue for us. Our dealings with the Rocky Mountain refugees will be honest and transparent should this come to fruition. </p>

</p>

<p>Mr. Dock,<br>

I have read everyone's posts on here and have done my best to keep on top of the issues. You have only posted once and I think to solve further speculation of what is going on it would be greatly appreciated if you would tell us..answer these questions please: 1. Is each individuals film documented by name and address? Or, how is your film cataloged to know who it belongs to? 2. I speak for myself here, it was my understanding that the money had to be paid upfront which is what I have done. According to all the reports I have read as well as your instructions for sending film you require money to be sent along with the film. So, in the argument Kelly makes about people claiming to have paid cannot be contested because anyone who sent you film would have had to pay upfront per your requirements. Is this true? 3. It is very clear that some just want there film back, speaking for myself I am willing to cut my losses on the money I sent you if I can just get my film back. Is this even an option for me? 4. Do you even have our film or did you just spend the money and throw the film in the trash? 5. If it is true that you are going through litigation then who can I contact to JUST get my film back? I am not interested in hanging you out to dry or taking you to the cleaners..I JUST want my film back and given the fact you have already been paid I think this is a very legitimate fair offer. Now, would you please answer these questions? Please.</p>