Rocky Mountain Film Lab - WARNING

<p>Quick update. Just called and got Steve himself on the phone! I requested that I wanted my film returned, he was pleasant enough and took my name and address and a contact number. When I asked him for the time frame, he said "well there are about 150 requests ahead of yours; so as soon as we can move through them, we'll get you your film." I plan to call back every week just to keep on his radar - for those who haven't called yet I suggest you do it today!<br>

Funny that I was once so outraged, and now I'm going to be just so grateful to have that film back in my hands. What an ordeal.<br>

-Tara</p>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I had intended to submit some film to RMFL, but fortunately found this thread in time....I shall look into sending it to Process C-22 in the UK.<br />I'm always very wary of any supplier who charges orders to a buyer's Credit Card right away, when knowing that goods are out-of-stock or a service not immediately available. It's not always done with intent of fraud, but it's frustrating for the customer and takes all urgency from the seller to complete the sale. Then, if, as seems to be the case with RMFL, the seller's business gets into cash flow problems.....</p>

<p>that totally sucks, j. raabe. i just lost a "money roll" today (won't yet say who it was). <br>

i've lost a lot of film over the years, and it only takes one lost roll for me to stop using a lab that "loses" film. <br>

it's experiences like these that had made me go back to developing my own b&w film, and to use digital for color work.</p>

<p>Just a follow-up note to my post of 8/10/10: I've waited 2 weeks for the return of my films as promised...film not returned as promised! No follow up phone call as promised! Is anyone suprised? Yesterday I phoned RMFL to do my own follow-up, call was answered by a man who took my name and said "I don't see your name on the list as being sent to the post office...the person who handles that is at lunch, she will call you back." 48 hours later, I have heard nothing. I now plan to make daily phone calls till someone hears me.</p>

<p>Same story here Jo,<br>

Even all the employees don't seem to care? Do you think they don't read this blog? If they do, I say to them and also Steve... You have some of the most precious things of ours in your hands. Priceless things. Nothing could hurt so much as to have your memories disappear. You have what can never be replaced. How would you want your most treasured memories taken care of? Just give us our film back, pretty please. </p>

<p>Made another follow-up call today to RMFL. Phone answered by Steve Dock, who told me my film had not been mailed as promised, because it was "in production". Assured me that it was now ready to be sent to me and would be mailed out by September 1 at the latest.. Also stated he would phone me to let me know when my films were mailed. I also took a chance and asked him what was going to happen about the return of my money, if the work was not done. (I fully understand that I will not get my money back, but I wanted to ask anyway). He said he "did not know". I asked him to send me the notifications about the bankruptcy and the form to get on the list of creditors, none of which I had received, (as some of the rest of you have?), and he said he would mail them to me. All I want is my film at this point.<br>

If I hear nothing by September 1, I will continue my daily calls.</p>

<p>Jo; did others here get their bankruptcy info/papers from the courts or RMFL itself?</p>

<p>Many times a bankruptcy is shield to help a place stay afloat.</p>

<p>I mention this because RMFL may not be the proper place to get the formal paperwork; the courts and officals many times are. In fact legally some places cannot give out this info; ie you are at the wrong end of the horse.</p>

<p>You may be asking the wrong place to get on a list.; thus they may have no obligation to do anothers work; ie the courts.</p>

<p>It is probably better to get on a list properly; ie documented; ie legit; instead of some back door method.</p>

<p>The probablity of getting ones money back in a bankruptcy are worse than the lottery. You just get on a list. Then maybe; just maybe if one gets on say 50 bankrupt lists over 30 decades; you get back a few pennies on a dollar. If one figures what ones time is worth and postage; it is typically a loss.All those back taxes; attorney fees; court costs have to be absorbed. Creditors are last in line.</p>

<p>Further up the thread the government person handing the bankruptcy and auction was mentioned. To get on a list has to be done in a timely matter. Sometimes a bankrupt outfit will make the list of creditors; but some are not mentioned because it is an accounting nightmare.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=6044588">Lance Waterman</a> , Aug 10, 2010; 03:29 p.m. Thanks for the last post Jo Howell! I called the number 303 364 6444, talked to the lady and she found our film straight away! The lady said they'll send the film back within two weeks.<br>

Lance, did you receive it?</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>What did you expect?<br>

"We have been in business for over 30 years and take great pride in our ability to obtain images from your old films. Our lead technicians have over 100 years of combined experience..."<br>

<br />RMFL = ROTFLMAO</p>

<p>Dear Rocky Mountain Film,<br /> <br />About 2 years ago ..... sent in film to be developed and also paid a $ 600 deposit on my behalf.<br />.....said in 2009 if I wanted the film back and to be reimbursed for the $600 Rocky Mountain Film will send me my mothers film back and credit my card. After such time has passed and the film has not been processed I prefer to have the fim returned and my credit card credited for the deposit amount sooner then later. Please tell me the best time to call to give you my credit card number to credit the $600 amount.<br>

So this is what I emailed the guys over at Rocky Mountain. I could not call because they do not answer phonce calls without caller id. I am currently in France so phone call did not go through. So my mom called them. <em>Steeve told her they do not return film. Steeve found the order. He said it was paid by check, He said he can do the order the reason it takes so much time is that it is three different types of film like a ford a chevy and cadillac. I gave him your e-mail address. He will e mail later you later. He said they do not always respong to emails is because they get so much junk. He said yes he can do it.</em><br>

2 weeks later still have not recieved an email. I found another place to send the film to but as my mom said they do not return film?<br>

I dont know 2 years almost 3 and still waiting.<br>

<em> </em></p>

<p> </p>

<p>FILM RETURNED! To all of you who have, like myself, been suffering throught this agonizing and frustrating ordeal: Since my last post I have made 3 phone calls to RMFL, speaking twice to Steve Dock himself, to continue to plead for the return of my films, which had been in their possession for now 30 months. These conversations were civil on both sides. Today, I recieved a call from Jill, telling me that my films had been mailed, and, lo and behold, an hour later, the mailman left a box at my door! I cannot tell you how long I have anticipated this moment!<br>

I received my prints, a CD, negatives, the original film rolls, my original order form and a personal note that I sent with it in 2008, and my credit card receipt for the original payment. If they managed to keep all my stuff together for nearly 3 years, perhaps otherfolk's items are safe as well?<br>

My order was mostly black & white, with 2 color rolls, all more than 40 years old. Every roll had images. Since I am not a photographer by profession, I cannot speak to the quality of the prints, but I believe RMFL did the best they could with the film I provided. My disappointment was that the subject matter on my films was not, as I had hoped, images of my long-deceased family members, but turned out instead to be mostly candid snapshots taken by me as a child, of teachers and schoolmates from 1961-62.<br>

UNTIL !!! I opened the last envelope and there was one single photo of my grandmother, deceased 39 years ago, and who was, without doubt, the dearest and most influential person in my life, and also the most camera-shy, never allowing us to photograph her! (That day I got lucky!)<br>

What I would encourage all of you to do is still keep phoning, still keep asking questions, still ask for return calls (I got 2 in the last 3 weeks, but never any in all the months before!) and not stop until you get results. If my stuff was not lost, I hope everyone else's is still there as well, and that you may still get it. I am not absolving RMFL in any way, this whole situation was totally unacceptable and I hope no one else ever experiences what we have been through. I am glad that for me, anyway, it is over and I wish all of you the best.</p>

<p>@ jo howell - that's wonderful news for you.....recovering amazing memories is what an old-film-service should be about! Still no excuse for RMFL though!<br />@ katrina rank - <em>"He said they do not always respond to emails is because they get so much junk." </em>That's so pathetic, I can't let it pass without comment! I have a small business which relies considerably on email. As with most other open email accounts, more than 50% of what comes in is junk and spam, but my spam filter (negligible cost) picks up and diverts this automatically with 99.99% accuracy. To be double-sure, it then takes only few seconds to check the spam filter each week, but it is most unusual if there is any error. These days no half-way-decent business should have any problems in handling either customer emails or spam!</p>

<p><em>"He said they do not always respond to emails is because they get so much junk." </em><br>

Yet he has an email link on his website under the heading<br>

Contact Information:<br>

<strong>Email:</strong> <strong><a href="mailto:info@rockymountainfilm.com">info@rockymountainfilm.com</a></strong><br>

Their mailing address also appears. Funny how he must check that mail because he receives checks there, but why when we know he receives so much junk mail in his mailboxe.<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>Somewhat good news for the rest of you.<br /> I received my undeveloped roll of Kodachrome G160 movie film today, September 20, 2010, from the people at the Rocky Mountain Film Lab.<br /> I had originally sent the one roll of movie film, which my cousin and I had found in her Mom's house after her Mom had passed away from cancer in August of 2008.<br /> My cousin had wondered what might have been recorded on the roll of movie film and had asked my help in finding a place to develop the roll of film.<br /> I had sent the roll of movie film to the Rocky Mountain Film Lab on January 29, 2009 along with a check for $78.50, which was to pay for the roll of movie film to be developed and then transferred to a DVD after the film was developed.<br /> Needless to say I didn't receive any money back along with the undeveloped roll of movie film.<br /> Back in early August of 2010 I had called the following phone number that someone else on this forum had posted:<br /> Sally Zeman<br /> P.O. Box 1169<br /> Denver, CO<br /> 80201<br /> 303-830-1971<br /> Sally had explained to me that after August 31st, a woman named Margaret would be the person to direct any inquiries to regarding the Rocky Mountain Film Lab bankruptcy.<br /> So on September 15, 2010 I called the phone number listed above, asked for Margaret, and told Margaret that after all of this time I just wanted the roll of undeveloped movie film back.<br /> I also sent an e-mail to the bankruptcy lawyer, Stuart J. Carr, letting him know that I wanted my roll of movie film back so you guys might want to do the same.<br /> Stuart J. Carr's e-mail address is: <strong><a href="http://mce_host/bboard/:stuartjcarr@hotmail.com">stuartjcarr@hotmail.com</a></strong><br /> After the bad experience with the Rocky Mountain Film Lab I don't know if I can trust another company to develop this roll of movie film.<br /> There was a note in the package with the undeveloped roll of movie film that had the following printed on it.<strong></strong><br /> <strong>Enclosed please find the materials you sent to Rocky Mountain Film Lab. </strong><br /> <strong>Please check your returned film and advise us in writing of any discrepancies within 10 days.</strong><br /> <strong>If you decide to use FRI in Canada to handle your order, please tell them that your film is returned from Rocky Mountain. FRI has informed us they will give your order special consideration.</strong><br /> <strong>If you would like to have us complete your order; please return your film and this note for further processing.</strong><br /> <strong>Thank you</strong><br /> <strong>Rocky Mountain Film Lab</strong><br /> <strong>11801 East 33rd Ave Ste A</strong><br /> <strong>Aurora CO 80010</strong><br /> Needless to say, I am not going to send the roll of film back to Rocky Mountain Film Lab and go through all of this once again.<br /> I believe there's an old saying that goes something like this "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".<br /> If any of you have had success getting a roll of Kodachrome G160 movie film developed by FRI Canada or someone other than Rocky Mountain Film Lab then I would like to hear which company that you used.<br /> I hope that the rest of you are at least able to get your undeveloped film back like I was.<br /> Thanks.<br /> Henry</p>

<p>I've decided to try to get my one roll of Kodak Ektachrome G160 movie film developed again.<br>

This time I've sent the roll of movie film to the Film Rescue International company to see what kind of luck I have there.<br>

It'll cost me an additional $52.00 to have this roll of movie film developed and transferred to a single DVD disc on top of the $78.50 that I ended up wasting by trying the Rocky Mountain Film Lab.<br>

I hope that it turns out to be worth the cost.<br>

Joe Rosenfeld had e-mailed me and suggested that I try Dwayne's Photo at <a href="DwaynesPhoto.com">DwaynesPhoto.com</a>.<br>

I e-mailed Dwayne's Photo and they told me that my roll of Kodak G160 movie film was too old and that they couldn't process it.<br>

They mentioned that I should try Film Rescue International, so that's what I'm doing.<br>

Film Rescue International's website states that if they receive my movie film by October 8, 2010 that it should take about 6 weeks for the film to be developed and sent back to me on a DVD disc.<br>

I mailed the roll of movie film yesterday afternoon, Tuesday, September 28, 2010.<br>

I'll stop by this forum and post how my film turned out when I get it back.<br>

Henry Brown</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>I think you are right, he got away with everything. I will have had my film in there for almost 3 years and "cant" get it back, "its in the process". Like its been for the last two years. What a joke and there are still people keeping him in business blows me away, and what did bankruptcy do? We all still got screwed......and no "gov't agency" helped. I live 4 hours from Denver, and the next time I go there, I will stop at his place, it will not be pleasant for him.</p>

<p>As I promised earlier, I'm reporting back on my progress in getting my roll of film developed by Film Rescue International.<br>

I had finally gotten my roll of undeveloped movie film back from the Rocky Mountain Film Lab in September of 2010, after waiting about 1 1/2 years.<br>

I mailed off the roll of movie film to Film Rescue International in early October of 2010 so that the Film Rescue International company would have the film in time for their next film processing cycle, which started on October 8, 2010.<br>

The Film Rescue International company had said on their website that they would process the film in about 6 weeks.<br>

I received the developed roll of 8mm movie film and the DVD that it had been transferred to on November 29, 2010.<br>

I am happy with the way that the roll of movie film turned out.<br>

I had explained to the people at the Film Rescue International company that I had sent the film to the Rocky Mountain Film Lab first and as a result, I received a 6% discount from the Film Rescue International company.<br>

I don't know if this company will offer any of the rest of you the same discount that I received, but it wouldn't hurt to mention that you were also a victim of the Rocky Mountain Film Lab if you choose to send your film to them.<br>

There is one thing that you have to do if you use the Film Rescue International company and that is to fill out their form on the Film Rescue International website and then print out and mail this form along with your film.<br>

I didn't read the fine print and mail off this form with my film and had to send them an e-mail to straighten out my order.<br>

Other than that, I am satisfied with the work of the Film Rescue International people and feel confident in recommending them to any of the rest of you.<br>

Good luck with getting your film back from the Rocky Mountain Film Lab.</p>

<p>I need to make a correction to my last message that I posted on december 6, 2010.<br>

The discount that I received from the Film Rescue International company was a 15% discount and not a 6% discount as I had written earlier.<br>

They had given me this 15% discount for having been a victim of the Rocky Mountain Film Lab like the rest of you.<br>

Keep trying to get your film back like I did and maybe you'll eventually succeed.</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>I sent my film to RMFL in July 2008. In February 2011 I sent an email to the bankruptcy attorney about retrieving my film. I received a call from a woman at RMFL, promising to send my developed pictures. After several phone calls since then, last week I finally received my processed pictures on CD.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I have had the same problem, I sent my film in 2008 (from Australia), I have had no reply! What I do nOt understand is why someone in America does not track these A holes down, firstly, because I would if I were there! And second of all TAKE THEIR WEBSITE DOWN!!!!!!!! so no one else falls for this again. JUST TAKE THEIR SITE DOWN!</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>After over 3 years of waiting, I received about half my money back in the bankruptcy. Although I gave up on my film of ever being returned. I did take pictures of it before I sent it and was told by someone else that it was probably no good anyway and would have not gotten anything back due to the shape it was in.</p>