Dpreview is closing - (Two Merged Threads)

35 minutes ago, Niels - NHSN said:

They seemingly plan to take all contents down - that is a shame.

That's what I heard too and I don't understand. What will happen to this wealth of content? It has, if nothing else, historical significance. If I google for camera reviews of the Nikon D800 say, will I no longer get the DPR review showing up? Is all this information to be lost? Can some independent hosting site offer to take over the content and keep it on line or is Amazon asserting that if they can't (won't) do it then they won't let anyone else do it either?

• Like 1

Saw that, and it's really hard to believe. I guess they weren't generating the required amount of revenue to satisfy Amazon's thirst for money. So where can we argue about Brand A vs Brand B now? Where can we obsess about noise levels in various sensors?

Kidding, of course. The site will be missed. But it could be a boon for this site, I hope.

• Like 1

I won't miss the comment sections, but DPreview has been the internet resource I have used to make every single decision about every digital camera I have every purchased since the Nikon D1x. 

I can't believe its going away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlanKlein said:

Chris and Jordon moving to PetaPixel to contiue their reviews and I imagine moving other stuff from DPReview.

Chris Niccolls and Jordan Drake Join PetaPixel to Lead its YouTube Channel | PetaPixel

The only photo website I truly dislike is PetaPixal.   Their content is clickbait(ish), the journalistic style is kind of jerky.  Chris and Jordan will be the only reason I visit. 

Its truly a shame that they got purchased by Amazon and moved to Seattle.  The quality of the photo samples got so bad when they moved (rainy, ugly Seattle) I stopped looking at them. 

Its a shame they did not move them to Austin, or some other cheap sunny place with a university and a good arts/history scene.  

No one surely looked to them for photographic excellence in the sense that sample photos are examples of high art. Lenstip is arguably even worse. But sample photos are just to give people ideas of sharpness, bokeh, and (how I hate that word) "rendering". I thought their reviews were useful, and it will be sad if all this information is lost. I too feel that PetaPixel is not a patch on them. Having to rely on YouTube reviewers does fill a sentient human with dread.

Robin Smith

• William Michael changed the title to Dpreview is closing - (Two Merged Threads)
1 hour ago, vrankin said:

Perhaps activity will perk up here, as their million-plus followers seek other communities. 

Why should we assume P/N is in any better financial health than DPR. I think DPR catered to a MUCH younger crowd than we have here.

41 minutes ago, movingfinger said:

As a follow-up to my lament above, I'm happy to report that historic DPReview content won't be unavailable going forward, efforts are underway to archive the content and keep it available to the general public: DPReview is being archived

Is that legal? I would assume the content is copyrighted by the authors and owner of the site where it was published, just copying and republishing it somewhere else might not be legal.

11 hours ago, Sanford said:

Why should we assume P/N is in any better financial health than DPR. I think DPR catered to a MUCH younger crowd than we have here.

I assume that in the absence of the dpr site, forum traffic would move to other sites and so increased traffic also here is likely. However, PN is so quiet that I am not sure if people know it still exists. 🙂 What PN needs is more traffic and I suspect this would be sufficient for it to continue operating (with some advertising and subscription revenue).

I don't know about the age distribution since I haven't seen any such data. I do think that dpreview was largely about the gear and very little about photography itself, and it proliferated the idea that you buy improved results by spending money rather than learning new skills. This is highly misguided thinking. I think the photography community is better off with sites that focus on how to achieve one's photographic goals and discussing photography itself rather than equipment. (I realize I mostly post about technical topics myself, but I have no illusions about its role in the broader context i.e. such things are comparatively unimportant where the objectives of photography are concerned.)

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 8:40 AM, movingfinger said:

That's what I heard too and I don't understand. What will happen to this wealth of content? It has, if nothing else, historical significance. If I google for camera reviews of the Nikon D800 say, will I no longer get the DPR review showing up? Is all this information to be lost? Can some independent hosting site offer to take over the content and keep it on line or is Amazon asserting that if they can't (won't) do it then they won't let anyone else do it either?

How important is keeping information on obsolete equipment? 

3 minutes ago, AlanKlein said:

Is the History and Technology not important for future references and enjoyment ??.

I for one , shoot with older equipment , and enjoy reading up on all sorts of older things.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AlanKlein said:

There are varying definitions of obsolescence--my newest camera came out in 2016 and I'm not feeling any need to replace it.

• Like 2