Push cart for lugging bird photo gear on paved trails

User_10913853

I’m a retiree interested in bird photography around our local lakes. This requires long, and heavy, telephotos and usually a monopod or tripod. I struggle to lug all this gear over my shoulder for hours on the paved trails that, luckily, have no stairs. Have any of you worked out a solution using either a golf cart or other folding (and pushable) cart? Any special tips?

Up until a few years ago, I was playing coed softball. I liked taking photos at the games, so....

My plan was to use an old, wheeled ice chest i had that was missing the drain plug (so useless for carrying ice). I planned to install dividers for various lenses and other equipment. They're sturdy enough to sit or stand on, keep equipment cool and sealed from dust and water, easy to roll around and/or pick up, and innocuous enough to avoid attracting unwanted attention (unless it's a hot day and everyone is thirsty).

But I quit playing soon after coming up with the idea so never followed through...

Edited by steven_endo

Do a search for shopping trolleys.

I needed one for non-photographic purposes, and found that there are many to choose from that will fold down reasonably compact. I got one from the German brand Andersen - their high end models are very well made, but I don't know if it is available in the part of the world where you live.

I also found that for a heavy load, the bigger wheels the better.

Niels

"I also found that for a heavy load, the bigger wheels the better."

I used suit case carts such as these in the past: https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Capacity-Portable-Lightweight-Telescoping/dp/B07X36VD9B/ref=zg_bs_2477389011_sccl_5/147-0229383-6951874?psc=1

The problem with these is with the small plastic wheels that tend to wear out too fast. I found an alternative at my Local Home Depot that has large rubber wheels, but is a little on the Bulky side...

Edited by hjoseph7

I grabbed a "baby jogger" perambulator from the junk and didn't go any further yet.

Those have reasonably big wheels, some a tad of suspension, operating and parking brake, hopefully adequate payload and an ability to stand upright. The original seat will have to go and I own enough sewing machinery to replace it with something else.

Given choices look for something with ballbearings in the hubs.

I suppose bike trailer convertible perambulators would be also suitable.

• 4 weeks later...

A paved trail is no problem for a good roller bag, like Really Right Stuff. I've used a kiddie trailer with a bicycle. with 24" wheels, good over gravel. Some trailers can be fitted with a third wheel and push rail for jogging with the kiddies (or cameras).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a cart used for carrying a  small child: metal folding frame, nylon adjustable seat for holding child, easily  adjustable to hold a moderate sized camera backpack or large shoulder bag & tripod, 3 large wheels, 3rd wheel in rear, all collapsible to fit in car trunk, ?Cost : used $15 at neighborhood garage sale.  Works well on sidewalks, paved trails, fairly well on hard ground and small gravel .Easy to hose off if muddy.