Where do you buy film these days?

After many years away from film, and this forum, I ran through my last roll. Going back to pick up more, the film landscape has changed a lot. Talk about sticker shot. I used to buy 3-pack 24 exp Fuji 200s for $12 at Walmart. The same pack(36 exp though) is $35 at Adorama and I am sure it'll be $40+ by the time I get it. I still see "Kodak" but not sure if it's not the same as "Bell&Howell" gear you see. Most were backordered anyway. As for developing, I went back to The Darkroom, and that cost me $20 with shipping and all.  So shooting one roll of film costs $35 looks like. Can I do better or I have just come back from the dead and the world has changed.

Film has become indeed very expensive, unfortunately. I have a decent number of bw and color rolls in the freezer, and I began to buy some more. I believe bulk is the way to go about it. Obviously, looking at the current prices I will not be able to shoot as much as I used to, but at least I'll have something to shoot every now and then. At this moment the chemicals (bw) are hovering at a bit over the usual prices, but not for long; I think these are going to get expensive as well.

Check the US market on ebay, lots of expired films, not all bad and not all long time expired. See what bulk films are out there, because even this is getting kinda scarce, although expensive. Tri-X in bulk is about 180 euro per 30 metres roll here in Europe, and not very easy to find. Best prices in bulk seem to be Fomapan (100, 200, 400), Agfa APX 100 and 400, Kentmere also. Also, the Ukrainians have reopened their film factory early this year, and it would appear they have some reasonable prices for a their own (reasonable) films. ORWO also has reopened with new stuff, check it out.

Good luck !

My Minox journey continues...

www.juliantanase.com

11 hours ago, Minox said:

Film has become indeed very expensive, unfortunately. 

Really?  I think not.  Yes, Tri-X seemingly costs a lot more than it did when I started out.  Back then I seem to recall that a roll cost between 75 and 95 cents.  Now it's about $13.00.  But wait, a small candy bar cost five cents then and now is well over $1.00.  A small ice cream cone at Dairy Queen was also five cents (ten cents if it was chocolate dipped).  What is it now?  I won't even mention housing.  If you were making $10,000 a year you were doing well.  It's not that film costs more, it's that the dollar and other currencies "aren't worth a dime" so to speak.  Actually. the all-mighty dollar ain't even worth a nickel.

Edited by chuck909

Inflation is one thing. But prices do go up when production is low enough to cut into economies of scale.

I don't think you can do better than the Big stores like B&H and Adorama.

Otherwise you can buy on eBay if you're spectacularly unpicky.

Can this be right? Fujifilm 135 Superia 200 ISO - 36 Exposures - 3 Rolls CA-135-36 3 PACK for $16.95?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2050156761690956066?lsf=seller:6503970,store:6563655936602069736,s:b,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:11396231949761596515&q=camera+film&hl=en&ei=58iDY7uLM-Os1QG-zL-ADA&sts=16&lsft=adtype:LIA,productchannel:googlecpc&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQiAsoycBhC6ARIsAPPbeLvO_gZ9ZvAoEw6YxOrrpaS_4V7sD0fsK8tH89D4ojhznVedzJru8WEaAv2IEALw_wcB

I am local to this store but still 30 min drive.  B&H Photo sells them for $40. May be it's close to expiration. I am not that big a user so those many frames are going to sit around.

Edited by brian_m.1

3 hours ago, brian_m.1 said:

Can this be right? Fujifilm 135 Superia 200 ISO - 36 Exposures - 3 Rolls CA-135-36 3 PACK for $16.95?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2050156761690956066?lsf=seller:6503970,store:6563655936602069736,s:b,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:11396231949761596515&q=camera+film&hl=en&ei=58iDY7uLM-Os1QG-zL-ADA&sts=16&lsft=adtype:LIA,productchannel:googlecpc&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQiAsoycBhC6ARIsAPPbeLvO_gZ9ZvAoEw6YxOrrpaS_4V7sD0fsK8tH89D4ojhznVedzJru8WEaAv2IEALw_wcB

I am local to this store but still 30 min drive.  B&H Photo sells them for $40. May be it's close to expiration. I am not that big a user so those many frames are going to sit around.

I would worry about anyone taking returns on film as this listing claims they will--it may have spent a few hot afternoons in somebody's car and you wouldn't know it until you processed it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brian_m.1 said:

For mass market color negative films (such as ISO 200 and ISO 400 Fuji/Kodak), I have found local physical stores cheaper than the big online stores, For example, I got my Fuji 200 135-36 three pack from local RiteAid for $27.99. Other people have reported picking up film at good price from local Walmarts. There might be limited supplies at particular local store, but it is always worthwhile to drive around locally.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/fujifilm-35-mm-200-iso-108-exp-3-pk

This started early for me, because I use some old sizes. 127 film and quarter-plate have been hard to get for a long time. For 127 I mostly cut 120 film down for width, and for length too if I want to use it in a TLR. I contemplated buying a decent guillotine to cut 4x5 down to quarter-plate, but using a guillotine in complete darkness - really?

So I do occasional orders from FotoImpex in Berlin and make them a worthwhile size so the shipping isn't too big a fraction of the total. I have also used Ag Photographic and Silverprint in the uk. My film activity has fallen off a bit; I haven't done an order from Berlin in a while. There are some things I can't get now because of Brexit, and there are frequently items out of stock. No shortage of daft 'effects' films.

For a few common types of film, in 35mm and 120 size, and a couple in 4x5, I can buy it over the counter from one or two places in my city. I try to buy my HP5 and FP4 that way because if we don't buy the stuff, why would they stock it?

Freestyle is my #1 go to for film purchases. I also use Precision Camera, my local store here in the Austin, Texas area.  Price increases are a bit disturbing for sure. I mix film along with digital capture and the mix will favor digital with this trend. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJG said:

I would worry about anyone taking returns on film as this listing claims they will--it may have spent a few hot afternoons in somebody's car and you wouldn't know it until you processed it.

There are virtually no national brand camera shops left anymore.  The occasional ones that are still left are mostly accessory shops at inflated prices. The one around here is asking $20 for one roll of Fuji film while claiming "film is back." Yeah, like vinyl is back. Looks like Rite Aid may be my best bet. 

Color negative film has gone a bit crazy since the pandemic, and slide film in recent years, but B&W is still pretty reasonable -- particularly Harmon films (Ilford and Kentmere) which is up a bit with inflation but not too bad. Kodak has had some more severe price rises since I returned to film in 2019.

I buy most of my film from Freestyle, which is local to me. I do buy in bulk, HP5+ and Kentmere 100 (though once that's done I will probably go back to FP4). Fomapan (also sold as Arista.edu) remains a bargain; I stay away because it's not my favorite stuff. I tried Ultrafine XTreme a couple of years ago and really liked it, but by the time I needed a bulk roll it was out of stock and hasn't come back. I haven't tried Ultrafine Finesse but that's available apparently.

I also process and scan my own B&W so that saves a lot of money. I bought my last bulk rolls before prices went up, but I figure I'm spending about $6.50 per roll for film, developing and scanning.

Aaron

Film prices have indeed skyrocketed! I live in a remotely so shopping any other way than online in out of the question. Unique photo has the best pricing on film that I have found, but they raised the shipping cost recently. Last month I ended up buying 40 rolls of Kodak TX-135-36 from unique because they had a deal on that film with free shipping. But needed to shop B&H for 40 rolls of Ilford FP4-120 and 40 rolls of Pan-F 120, same price as unique but the shipping was much lower. Interesting point, I placed the order minutes apart, the B&H (NY) film was shipped UPS and I received it in four days (I'm in New Mexico), the unique (NJ) film was shipped the same day USPS and I didn't get the film for ten days and every box of film was mushed (film OK).

On 11/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, brian_m.1 said:

I still see "Kodak" but not sure if it's not the same as "Bell&Howell" gear you see. 

Kodak film is still made by Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York. As for Bell & Howell, well those cheesy lawn/security lights you see advertised on TV under the Bell & Howell brand name  have no relationship (other than brand name ownership) to the fine and sturdy mechanics of the 70DR 16 mm motion picture camera.

Like others here I buy my film from Freestyle.

David

I buy mostly from B&H because I'm on the east coast. I try to buy as much as I can afford at one time because prices have been going up pretty frequently and that helps me keep my budget low.

I do feel processing has gone up a fair bit compared to 10 years ago when I worked at a camera store. Long gone are the days of getting a free roll when you dropped off two for processing.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2022 at 6:49 AM, Minox said:

Film has become indeed very expensive, unfortunately. I have a decent number of bw and color rolls in the freezer, and I began to buy some more. I believe bulk is the way to go about it. Obviously, looking at the current prices I will not be able to shoot as much as I used to, but at least I'll have something to shoot every now and then. At this moment the chemicals (bw) are hovering at a bit over the usual prices, but not for long; I think these are going to get expensive as well.

Check the US market on ebay, lots of expired films, not all bad and not all long time expired. See what bulk films are out there, because even this is getting kinda scarce, although expensive. Tri-X in bulk is about 180 euro per 30 metres roll here in Europe, and not very easy to find. Best prices in bulk seem to be Fomapan (100, 200, 400), Agfa APX 100 and 400, Kentmere also. Also, the Ukrainians have reopened their film factory early this year, and it would appear they have some reasonable prices for a their own (reasonable) films. ORWO also has reopened with new stuff, check it out.

Good luck !

Hi Folks

I am brand new on here and at the bottom tip of Africa so my opinion might not be on point…

Depending on where you are I could recommend you have a look at Fotoimpex in Berlin. Their shipping seems to be flat-rate at €35…

B&H seem to have become more affordable with their shipping too.

Their is only really one company in SA that sells film but remember, down here we pay ZAR 17-18 for one U$ Dollar or Euro…that hurts…

my last couple of film and chemistry purchases have mostly at Midwest Photo, which for film is running about 75 cents a roll less then B&H,  though I've called B&H and have gotten good discount when buying 25  rolls of FP4+.  so either bulk 100' rolls or >25 rolls is the way to go, if you have a favorite.

B&H or Freestyle for me. Prices are a bit of a shock since the last roll of Tri-X that I bought before I got away from film was about $4-5, now at least $12. One way of handling that for me is using Kentmere at around $5, and there are a few other choices in that price range as well. Until I’m more experienced and consistent with my developing and printing results, I don’t see a need for anything else. 

But this is B&W, I’m not sure what else is out there for C41 these days. 

• 2 weeks later...