Worst thrift/yard sale price ever.

jon_shumpert2

I am always amazed when I see an eBay listing for an item that is priced significantly higher than the identical item for sale new at an online store like BHPhoto or even Amazon.

The Z9 has been a good example.

I wouldn’t buy anything more than $100 in yard sales.

I know I have been guilty of bragging about finding amazing low prices on cameras at yard sales and thrift stores, but today I witnessed the opposite. What is the most ridiculous price you have ever seen on a camera at one of these sales? This morning I went to a yard sale and saw a Nikon D5200 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. The price was not very legible so I asked the seller. He said," This is selling for $14,000 online so I am selling it for half price at $7000. I was stunned. I simply walked away. I have a feeling it did not sell.
  • Like 2

This is selling for $14,000 online so I am selling it for half price at $7000.

Wonder where he got it from. Just checked, the kit sells for a few hundred dollars on eBay. In fact I think it's exactly this set that my prior neighbor asked me to donate to a charity on her behalf. I still have it because I am still not completely unpacked. Maybe someone would buy it for $14,000 for charity? ;):cool:

I know I have been guilty of bragging about finding amazing low prices on cameras at yard sales and thrift stores, but today I witnessed the opposite. What is the most ridiculous price you have ever seen on a camera at one of these sales? This morning I went to a yard sale and saw a Nikon D5200 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. The price was not very legible so I asked the seller. He said," This is selling for $14,000 online so I am selling it for half price at $7000. I was stunned. I simply walked away. I have a feeling it did not sell.

The guy obviously doesn't know the price. He checked ebay and made a mistake.

He checked ebay and made a mistake

Do you really, really believe that?

You must either be a very NICE person, or a heavily ironical bastid. ;)

In my experience

It is a matter of regret that many low, mean suspicions turn out to be well founded.

Edgar Watson Howe, Ventures in Common Sense

Of course another complication would be phony sales to fool the rubes (example: "world's most expensive photograph?")

Edited by JDMvW

Do you really, really believe that?

You must either be a very NICE person, or a heavily ironical bastid. ;)

In my experience

Edgar Watson Howe, Ventures in Common Sense

Of course another complication would be phony sales to fool the rubes (example: "world's most expensive photograph?")

I am sure he is not greedy. Greedy people would price the way they could sell. Or at least BS something as to why the camera cost so much. This guy he doesn't know squat and he check price some where and got the wrong price and he believed it.

I have been told that some sellers, especially ones that sell more than one of an item, when they are out, instead of removing the auction just increase the price enough that no-one will buy it. Then when more are available, they just lower the price again. I was actually told by one, but have seen it done more often. At least I believe it more times.

But I have never known anyone to believe the price.

PRL Filter Kenko SOFTON II (a) 49 mm filter filtre filtar filtru Photo Picture | eBay

is a Kenko softon 49mm filter for ... $4500.

I think that is worse than a D5200 for $14000 or $7000.

Especially since it won't fit on many lenses for the D5200.

It seems that a D5200 did sell for $1050, and a red D5200 did not sell for $300.

What is a red D5200?

Edited by glen_h

-- glen

One good story from a Car Boot Sale - years ago, browsing a table of bric-a-brac, found a small 'lens case' prominently labelled 'Leica', with a price of £3 on it. Picked it up, could feel there was something inside. Had a look - Leica tele-extender of some kind. Spoke to the lady about the item - before I had a chance to explain the real value, she snapped 'That's the price - I'm not lowering it for anyone !' So, I paid my three quid and pocketed it. Later that same week, took it to local camera dealer (now closed, unfortunately) - he promptly offered me £80 cash, or £100 in part exchange. I took the money, and departed smiling. Saw it in his window later marked £275, but I was more than satisfied with what he paid me.
  • Like 2

One good story from a Car Boot Sale - years ago, browsing a table of bric-a-brac, found a small 'lens case' prominently labelled 'Leica', with a price of £3 on it. Picked it up, could feel there was something inside. Had a look - Leica tele-extender of some kind. Spoke to the lady about the item - before I had a chance to explain the real value, she snapped 'That's the price - I'm not lowering it for anyone !' So, I paid my three quid and pocketed it. Later that same week, took it to local camera dealer (now closed, unfortunately) - he promptly offered me £80 cash, or £100 in part exchange. I took the money, and departed smiling. Saw it in his window later marked £275, but I was more than satisfied with what he paid me.

On a similar theme of underpaying for something.

There's a regular trader at the local Sunday flea market that sells ebaymazon returns. You never know what's going to turn up on his stall. Last Sunday it was a couple of Gobe ND filters complete in original brown cardboard boxes, one 72mm 32xND and a 77mm 256xND.

Last time I bought something from the guy, practically everything was £1 an item, but this week he said in a confidential sort of way "My Grandson told me off for selling stuff too cheap, so I'll have to charge you £2 each for those." Reluctantly I paid up the £4 for 80 quid's worth of filters. Inflation eh?! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Reluctantly I paid up the £4 for 80 quid's worth of filters

Congrats. Hwvr, do you already have something similar? How often are they used? If so, it's £4 worth of extra gear/clutter? ;) My problem also to have too much redundant stuff. For NDs I am using variable units to render the previous purchases obsolete. Trying to de-clutter but it needs time to set up, describe, and sell.

• Like 1

For NDs I am using variable units to render the previous purchases obsolete.

Yeah, I've got one of those too, but the variable ND won't go really dark without introducing a strong blue cast that also varies across the frame. Whereas the Gobe 256x (8 stop) ND is completely neutral and goes some way to getting those several second long exposures in daylight. A technique I've been promising myself I'd get to grips with.

I also have a darker ND - 10 or 12 stops, can't remember - but it was near useless on a DSLR since I couldn't see through it!

Now, the mirrorless EVF is equally bright, filter or no. So it's time to get back to those long exposure experiments to try and crack it.

And a couple of extra filters are nothing compared to the excess of old lenses I've accumulated! :eek:

• Like 1

(snip)

And a couple of extra filters are nothing compared to the excess of old lenses I've accumulated! :eek:

And filters don't take up so much space.

I do have a bunch of filters someone gave me. The same size, so they stack nice.

I also have a bunch bought from Goodwill by the bag.

I am not all that good at using them, other than skylight filters for lens protection.

-- glen