Fine art photography

anthonymarsh

'Which way to the front, please?' Moving forward (?) is not important. Such a western superstition, "forward". And see what Sam wrote about "progress". The only thing that really "progressed" a bit since earliest memory is "technology". We can (already old, this, but) put a man on the Moon. Anything that is behind such desires is even older than the way to Rome.

"Boundaries" are what you impose on me, and vice versa. Again, look at what Sam wrote: we forgot more than we re-remembered. Today's world is, morally, more restrictive than that of our ancestors, immensely more restrictive than the world of the Ancient Greek c.s. "Moving forward" often turned out to be strengthening boundaries and putting up new ones, closer, more restrictive.

Art is part of the social discourse. It has no special place or meaning, other than, maybe, that it employs different forms of expression. It is no more at the "vanguard" than any other form of thought and expression thereof. Nowadays, it often seems to have lost pace and lost connection with the rest. While the rest marched on, art stopped too long to admire (its navel, mostly. Also a thing the Ancient Greeks already knew about: omphaloskepsis Too little skepsis. Here, in this thread, too).

Admire, nothing more, is all that Fine Art is about. Relevant? Nah...

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Which way to the front, please?' in the context I gave... for me that would be the now and forward in time. Yep I subscribe to that. Not to be confused with the cutting edge. innovative/original and not to exclude them either.

"Boundaries" are what you impose on me, and vice versa." I present no limits to you only a marker in time. I think it fortunate for me that I have a different perspective & experience than you posit. Those appear to me to be restrictions that you can overcome or not.. You can choose to stifle moving ahead in the quise of knowing the way it is or you could take the boundaries you percieve as a challenge and tap your creativity reconstruct the equation. Or simply submit to the limitations you percieve and spend the time contemplating The art world navel, as in - it is what it is. either this or that, a construct I find very limiting.

The envelope will always be a moving target sometimes forward sometimes relatively backward or just stagnating. But it always evolving, moving on forward in time from where it has been. Like the term 'fine art' has evolved and remained connected to the past. even tho some might say a step backward.. not for me. But then i don't see it definitive or limited to "Admire, nothing more, is all that Fine Art is about. Relevant? Nah..."

n e y e

"Forward in time"... ever tried going any other direction?

"Not to confuse with the cutting edge, innovative/original", but "not to exclude them either". You mean things stay as they are, get worse, or better. Fair point. But what's the point?

Boundaries as merely "markers in time"? Which i can take as the "challenge" to "reconstruct the equation"? What do these markers mark, and what do they bound, to what? What equation?

Different perspective, in what way? What is, do you suppose, the perspective your's differs from? And how are you fortunate?

"Submit to the limitations you percieve and spend the time contemplating The art world navel, as in - it is what it is. either this or that, a construct I find very limiting"? Uhm...

You "don't see definitive". Neither do i. I think. If i knew what that could possibly mean.

Et cetera.

What you do impose is illegibility.

Is this art, moving forward, pushing the envelope?

In short: what does all that mean, Inoneeye?

• Like 1

Now how to turn the letters upside down... really impressive that would be...

Confusing (or rather confused?) is what you wrote, Inoneeye. Explain. Answer the question to do so? Then we might have a meaningful discussion.

No, that's not upside down... ah well!

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

I've seen these petty baiting & gotcha tatics far to often on PN to care to answer your questions 1x1 since you suggest nothing made sense. Which of course 1x1 would be required to do even if distilled to The one question "In short: what does all that mean, Inoneeye?"

I would discuss and gladly explain myself to someone who is genuinely confused by what I say and capable of a mature give and take dialogue. Free of putting words in my mouth and ignoring context. and able to retain what has been said in prior shared comments. and interested in other viewpoints. That excludes you q.g.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

Maybe you guys should visit some Fine Art studios. This was one of my assignments while going to school. Many of these Fine Art studios do not advertise, so it's mostly word of mouth. This was years ago so not many digital photos were available back then, maybe times have changed. Most of the images I glimpsed at were Silver Gelatin or some other exotic process. And most of them were 16X20" or over. I not even going to mention what the prices were for some of these images, it would be too shocking !! The thing they had going for them was the intrinsic value, they were both seen for the craftsmanship and beauty. i guess that's why some people were willing to pay for them....

Arthur, I think all of us that take the camera to the street have these sort of photos (man-altered landscapes) in our collection - if they were not thrown out. There is something about them that draws us to taking these images (for me a lot of them). And when I ask myself why and explore deeper there always is a reward.

I am grateful to The new topographics photographers for opening the art world eyes to another label & way of seeing and experiencing photography that has been around since the beginnings. Even if they hadn't I would still take this kind of photo. Mostly I think of it as a refinement of the catagories, a file system for art. It doesn't help define art or fine art. that remains elusive imo. And not really of much import for me.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

Arthur, I think all of us that take the camera to the street have these sort of photos (man-altered landscapes) in our collection - if they were not thrown out. There is something about them that draws us to taking these images (for me a lot of them). And when I ask myself why and explore deeper there always is a reward.

I am grateful to The new topographics photographers for opening the art world eyes to another label & way of seeing and experiencing photography that has been around since the beginnings. Even if they hadn't I would still take this kind of photo. Mostly I think of it as a refinement of the catagories, a file system for art. It doesn't help define art or fine art. that remains elusive imo. And not really of much import for me.

Yes, we may all have these, but there is something in this composition that seems unique, fascinating and compelling.

• Like 1