Non photographers complains about your gear?

RaymondC

What's this? You can take bad pictures with an expensive camera.

The issue with basic cameras is not whether they take good photos, rather when, where, and for what they can be used. When you have a hammer, you look for the right kind of nail. Not all nails are the same.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

What's this? You can take bad pictures with an expensive camera.

Cute. The question is still out there, though, why you're offended when someone reacts with favor to a picture of yours and adds "you must have a good camera."

What we expect (or don't) from viewers seems at least as important as what they expect from us.

"You talkin' to me?"

That works with musicians and their instruments too

This never happens in my experience. They may say "you have beautiful tone", "or that instrument x sounds great". Not at all the same as they "you must have a good camera". Also for some types of photography having a really good camera is a big help. I shoot basketball and to get "good" pictures you really do need "a good camera". While having a good camera is not at all essential for making "good" pictures, it really can help.

Robin Smith

I thought we would have had auto-composition by now.

There was some years ago one that would take multiple shots of a scene, and then

select the one in which most people were smiling. Not quite composition, but one of the

things people might try to do while composing.

Seems like you could have auto-zoom which would choose the optimal

zoom value for a scene to get everything in, but not too much background.

• Like 1

-- glen

There is something about a Stradivarius violin or a Torte bow what even a skilled musician can't imitate on a lessor instrument, nor disguise in the real thing.

Crediting any other instrument instead of the musician is so insulting, it has never occurred on my presence during my 50+ years in the world of classical music.

I suppose I should see it from other people. If others are into pottery, tinkering with cars, quilting, hitting the nightclubs, seeing karaokes it may not work for everyone.

How would you feel to come home to find an engine block on the kitchen table, a cylinder head in the dishwasher and a set of valve guides in the freezer?

Some people wouldn't bat an eyelid at this perfectly reasonable situation, others might be a little upset...

• Like 2

The informal group of photographers I shoot with don't really criticize what anyone else shoots with or complains about gear. We do make fun of each other about brand fanboy or fangirlism which I partake in quite often. The younger crowd makes fun of me because I drop, break and abuse my limited equipment which is true so I accept it with humor. Most of the people I shoot with get better results than I do so I stay humble and try harder. I will eventually show those rascals and rascallettes that perseverance and tenacity will prevail.
  • Like 5

The informal group of photographers I shoot with don't really criticize what anyone else shoots with or complains about gear. We do make fun of each other about brand fanboy or fangirlism which I partake in quite often. The younger crowd makes fun of me because I drop, break and abuse my limited equipment which is true so I accept it with humor. Most of the people I shoot with get better results than I do so I stay humble and try harder. I will eventually show those rascals and rascallettes that perseverance and tenacity will prevail.

Sounds like a fun group, and your humbleness doesn't hide the fact that you take some of the best photographs shown on photo.net in my not so humble opinion:)

• Like 2