Kant see it?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Concepts without precepts are empty. Precepts without concepts are blind." (from the Prologema ...., I think)

Sorry to be an anally exacting picker of nits, but ...

a) it’s percept (short for perception), not precept

b) it’s in the intro to The Critique of Pure Reason

:)

And here’s something cute I found on this particular quote ...

ECA4C284-018C-407F-8AE1-14AB93ABB2DB.thumb.jpeg.0ab959e835c43d362f91a22ebf10221e.jpeg

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Sorry to be an anally exacting picker of nits, but ...

a) it’s percept (short for perception), not precept

b) it’s in the intro to The Critique of Pure Reason

:)

And here’s something cute I found on this particular quote ...

[ATTACH=full]1370764[/ATTACH]

1. I hastily thought I was typing 'percepts'.

2. I deserve a 0 rating.

3. It's been a long while since I read Kant. Hence, my parenthetical reference.

You might say photography is a form of therapy similar to Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations.

It's been a long time, but as I remember, Wittgenstein believed that linguistic analysis provided a "therapy" to language and the structures it presents. By extension, photography, IMHO, may provide a "therapy," or analysis, of our visual perception of reality.

• Like 2

I've been thinking lately about the photographer Lewis Baltz, whose work I increasingly admire. I do think his pictures are, among other things, an example of photography as a "therapy" applied to the visual universe. Put another way, "this could be photography as art criticism," as William Wilson wrote in the Los Angeles Times in 1912.

A good therapist asks significant questions. So do many good photographs.

As importantly, good therapists often guide their patients to alternate perspectives, which is what photos pretty much can’t help but do.

In both a literal and metaphorical sense, the photos from Abu Ghraib would seem to have been therapeutic. Ironically, many were taken by disordered people in severe need of therapy, not to mention punishment.

Lewis Hines’s PHOTOS provided social therapy.

Weston's PEPPER and ESCUSADO not only applied therapy to our visual perception but did so to our experience of reality itself. What is a pepper? What is art? What is a picture of a pepper? How does a picture of a toilet affect how I see a toilet? How does a picture of a toilet differ from a toilet? Is it just a picture of a toilet or is that too limiting a way to look at it?

The common behavior of mankind is the system of reference by means of which we interpret an unknown language.

—Wittgenstein

The same might be said of photography.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

"Kant’s brilliance was shaped by a strict mindset" Sam.

Shallow thoughts, with respect. His journey was a lot about deeper philosophical thought than a simplistic strict mindset. A Baker has a strict mindset as he kneads his dough. .Hello.

Again folks like to talk fairy tales rather than reading actual historical facts.

Hmmm. You'd think that's the extent of what I said here about Kant and photography. When you set yourself up as the outsider, who knows better than everyone else, who feels entitled to call the conversations of others banal, who feels entitled to quote one phrase of a fellow photographer in order to willfully mischaracterize the thrust of his posts here, then You'll Never Walk Alone might just turn into ...

"You talkin' to me?"

"When you set yourself up as the outsider, who knows better than everyone else, who feels entitled to call the conversations of others banal" Sam.

Call me sad, but I do believe in Democracy and Free speech; regardless of populist thoughts. If I want to call other folks thoughts banal so what. It is called free speech.! Hello.

Sorry, if I have disturbed you with my thoughts and not following YOUR party line. Hey Ho I could not care a monkeys.

It's not your thoughts that disturb, it's your lack of them. You call our conversation about Kant banal but have nothing, yourself, to say about Kant or Wittgenstein and photography, which is what was being discussed. Perhaps your accusations of banality could be taken seriously or understood if you bothered to offer an alternative about Kant or Wittgenstein and photography that was something other than a generic platitude that showed no knowledge or understanding of Kant. I believe in free speech, too, which is why I've felt free to call you out on this. Free speech is not speech that gets no response. And intelligent speech can back itself up. Show us you know something about Kant that's different from the so-called banality of our words or your free speech is free of substance and value.

"You talkin' to me?"

" His journey was a lot about deeper philosophical thought than a simplistic strict mindset" Allen

This is the point I was making. Hence the vid. Sort of saves me writing a thousands words without the need to Understand, look, reason, open your mind.....and not write silly banal comments which you have not properly researched.

Not that I mind the drama queen stuff, It's a fun cool thing.

But if you want to discuss Kant in a serious way....I'm here.

Sublime or pretty? to start the ball rolling.

Cannot be pretty also be sublime...or, are we talking boxes?

Personally, I would argue the flower and the storm are both sublime; both having a unique perceptive, a subtly, in the eye of the viewer.

Much like a photograph.

The sublime exists along with the beauty, both being subline in their own way....without the mis guided perception of the obvious of beauty and sublime.

Edited by Allen Herbert

Interestingly, Kant and photography go together well. Kant says that there is a real world out there but we can’t know it. We don’t have access to reality, just to our perception and experience of it. What we see is filtered through “categories” structured in our minds. An absolute good, for him, would be a human, moral way of being, not an activity like photography. But it seems to be that photographs which sometimes get mistaken for the things in the world they are photographs of are very much like Kant’s idea of human perceptions. Our perceptions, for Kant, bring us a representation and sometimes an enhancement and sometimes a restricted or even false view of reality. Photos can do the same.

Great. Here's what I said on the matter. Respond to it specifically and tell me what you find banal about it.

"You talkin' to me?"

These are all very obvious thoughts for anybody. Yes, the grass is green I get it.

In that sense they are banal.

His thoughts on beauty and sublime are more interesting. And are challenging to understand.

Sam, just like you he sits on the bog every day...he is not a messiah. You can question his thoughts.