Kant see it?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A focus on creativity is a focus that makes you miss the essential bit. It's one little box you can't stick a label "art" on"q.g

There we go. Art, really belongs in a little box, that you cannot put a label on.

The interesting thought ; who puts Art into that little box, that apparently you cannot put a label on?

Art does not need labels, or, little boxes, it is universal, not subject to moiré, and cult of the few.

Yes, Allen, who mentioned little boxes again?

Another quote of Emmanuel: "Stay of the keys after imbibing."

"So act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world." Kant.

There's a thought for you, Sam.

I already quoted that thought in a post just above yours ... slightly different words but same basic idea.

I'll repeat it here, since you seem to have missed it:

"Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law."

—Kant

Though a photographer shouldn't have to be obvious, the reason I posted the photo I did with that Kant quote and the caption "walking the walk" is that it shows a co-worker at a community for folks with disabilities working hand-in-hand with a resident learning a skill ... and an art. It was meant to tie together several themes in the thread. Now, please, continue vomiting, by all means.

:) :rolleyes: :)

"You talkin' to me?"

Uhm... here's a thought for both of you, Sam and Allen: you do know the OP´s question? You do know that this was mentioned in the very first post of this thread already?

Yes. I took the question to have elements of the tongue-in-cheek as well as a serious side that might generate discussion.

Does photography have any Categorical imperatives?

I answered that early on by saying ...

The categorical imperative demands absolute necessity, in other words it must happen universally and under absolutely ALL conditions. There can be no qualifications. For Kant, it was also a moral basis, not a practical one.

Most importantly, the categorical imperative applies to man (meaning "people") alone and it applies to man's reason.

Much photography is guided by more important things to it than reason, so I'm with Mike.

No.

Then the discussion, as forum discussions so often do, took off from the OP and got into other, some more tightly and some more loosely related, things ...

"You talkin' to me?"

As long as you both know that you did not introduce a new insightfull line of thought into this thread by discovering that Kant formulated a categorical imperative.

;-)

"Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind." Kant.

You illustrate that perfectly, Allen.

By the way, it is Immanuel, not Emmanual.

Little insults. Sad man, with little to say, other than than pretentious rigmarole.;)

The measure.

And despite of, or thanks to, not keeping the measure, Allen, such a perfect self-reflection.

As long as you both know that you did not introduce a new insightfull line of thought into this thread by discovering that Kant formulated a categorical imperative.

I won't speak for Allen, I wouldn't dare. I discovered Kant's Imperative decades ago. I hadn't thought to apply it to photography. Since JDM did, cleverly so, I thought I'd participate in the thread and assumed many on PN had no idea what its actual formulation was, so felt it was worth quoting. But, as I said, I found a photo that I thought illustrated it even though I don't think photography is subject to it.

"You talkin' to me?"

You are a funny little fellow. Entertaining.

You talk a lot about nothing Are you a Politician?

Do you do do the photo thing? Love to see some of them, if you would be so kind. Just seeing a blob by your name at the moment.

Is it Art?

"I won't speak for Allen, I wouldn't dare" Sam.

Wise man;)

Edited by Allen Herbert

"I'd also like to hear any thoughts you might have on the Categorical Imperative and any relation it has to photography, the topic of the thread itself" Sam.

18th century philosophy very much based on religion concepts of the time. Other than real photographers use film, being a spiritual/soul process I fail to see a working connection.

18th century philosophy very much based on religion concepts of the time. Other than real photographers use film, being a spiritual/soul process I fail to see a working connection.

Kant, in many ways, dismantled much of the religious-based morality of the time and was seen by many of his contemporaries as well as the authorities as having secularized philosophical concepts of morality. There are arguments for and against just how "religious" Kant's philosophy was.

That aside, I agree with you in failing to see a working connection between photography and Kant. As a philosopher and photographer, however, I was intrigued by JDM's OP and would continue to attempt to illustrate via photos some of the more important of Kant's ideas, even though I don't think there's a photographic categorical imperative or reasonable equivalent.

"You talkin' to me?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Does photography have any Categorical imperatives?" JD

Words, somebody made up, so we can speak a thousand words of BS. Lets do a photo, that smacks your in face, Kant, would have loved it.

BS folks...they don't do photography.

Bit, gritty, for those folks on PN ;(who participate, in such things..

Ready?

Edited by Allen Herbert