The feasibility of international travel with FE2/film?

lahuasteca

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes! I think I've discovered the digital travel camera for me: The Leica Q2. Expensive, but has what I think I want and little else.

Have a look at the Ricoh GR III then - it's APS-C instead of full frame and sports a 18mm lens (equivalent to 28mm on full frame). It certainly fits into a shirt pocket. You can purchase five for the price of a Q2 - and still have some spare change for batteries and SD cards.

Yikes - this thread is still going. I'm the OP. Basically I started this thread because I wanted a camera small, unobtrusive, something the "gets out of the way and lets me shoot" with great IQ. I've done the backpack full of lenses with two cameras before, jumping on local buses and the beds of pickup trucks, and now, at 75, getting a little long in the tooth to keep doing that. Long story short - right now I'm torn between the Z50 with the two kit lenses or the Z5 with 24-200. Inside vest pocket vs. very small shoulder bag. Backup is a very small Panasonic LX7. I've given up on the idea of the FE2 and film - too much logistics involved. Yes, if I head out to the Big Bend area of West Texas, it becomes practical - but not lugging through international airports with crowds, lines, inspections, scanners, etc. So - Z50 or Z5 for international travel.
  • Like 2

And does it come with a special wrench so that you can change the lens to a useful focal length?

If I had to choose - Z5 with 24-200.

I had the 24-200 on my Z7 on my Vermont-Western Mass foliage trip and never bothered to take out any other lenses from the bag.

Hwvr, this is different from the super compacts such as the Leica Q2, Ricoh GR III, or Sony RX100 VII.

• Like 2

So - Z50 or Z5 for international travel.

Since you are 75 (I am 78), given the choice solely between the Z5 or the Z50, I suggest the Z5 because it has Vibration Reduction while the Z50 does not. As I age, I find IS/VR more and more important and none of the Z-lenses has VR in the lens.

• Like 2

I purchased the Z50 body with the 14-30 f4 as a carry around. I love it for stills and video and it is a keeper. Today I would stick with that lens but get the Z5 with VR. I later added the 50 1.8 which is the finest Nikon lens I have had. For a film carry I suppose I should use my Kodak Vest Pocket. Greetings to all fellow septuagenarians, Charles.

Yes, I'm 75 as well. But very immature.

Ah, into your second childhood are you? :-) <HUGE GRIN> (Sorry, Arthur, I could not resist, said he ducking and running.)

Perhaps we should start a group on photo.net - "The Geezer Brigade". No one under 70 need apply for membership.

• Like 1

Have a look at the Ricoh GR III then - it's APS-C instead of full frame and sports a 18mm lens (equivalent to 28mm on full frame). It certainly fits into a shirt pocket. You can purchase five for the price of a Q2 - and still have some spare change for batteries and SD cards.

Both the Leica Q2 and Ricoh are nice but I think the Sony RX100 VII, with the 24-200mm lens, seems the reasonable choice for those who use it as supplementary equipment when not carrying the heavier and bigger equipment.

Be 76 PDQ - I carry full kit - 2 FX Nikons , 3 lenses, and extras.

Think my camera bag for a trip is easily 30 lbs even when I limit the equipment to only those that would likely be useful, not even counting the tripod. Not the most pleasant thing to lug around. A good compact camera such those discussed can be not much heavier than an IPhone. Good for walkaround. The wonder of technology.

Walkaround with a prime?

Not sure it's just me!

A prime is just NOT compositionally workable unless there's another, very specific, agenda.

There have been times when I pop a single prime on my camera and set out for the day. Because sometimes light and nimble are requirements. And it isn't compositionally constraining if you use a bit of imagination.

• Like 4

Think my camera bag for a trip is easily 30 lbs even when I limit the equipment to only those that would likely be useful, not even counting the tripod. Not the most pleasant thing to lug around. A good compact camera such those discussed can be not much heavier than an IPhone. Good for walkaround. The wonder of technology.

Doo or don't Doo there is no try! ;)

• Like 3

a single prime on my camera and set out for the day. Because sometimes light and nimble

Having something like a Nikon j5 + 10-100mm is way smaller and lighter than most camera + prime combos. If I feel the need for maybe low light aswell, I can pop the f1.8 18mm standard in my pocket. Even the 10mm wide prime is no bigger than 2 Oreos...:)

I guess when I go walkies, I want to capture the wide open vistas AND that small bird up a tree AND that circling vulture AND that small butterfly......

and maybe, only maybe, one of those can be done with a semi-wide prime as the only lens.

There have been times when I pop a single prime on my camera and set out for the day

You make it sound like a rarity rather than your usual loadout?

And it isn't compositionally constraining if you use a bit of imagination

Whilst I fully agree with the idea in principle, and yes, I could do it, I just don't want to! It smacks of photographic masochism.:D

Carrying around a bag full of fast primes isn't my idea of fun either! They usually stay at home.

However, I do sometimes go out with a single wide, fast prime on FX and a tripod for landscape and astro, but that's not my normal walkabout....;)

If you have a spare $6000 (US) + plus tax and want a small camera that "does everything", there is always the new Zeiss ZX-1 with a fixed 35mm f/2 lens. .

Shoot, Edit, and Share with the Full-Frame ZEISS ZX1

I do NOT see myself rushing out to purchase one.

There must be a whole lot of people running around with more money than they know what to do with - at least in the minds of the Zeiss marketing department. :-)

And someone was complaining about the Fuji camera.