Nikon Introduces Mirrorless Z System

ShunCheung

No manual online yet, but what's listed in the specifications doesn't impress. For example:

Mechanical shutter X-synch speed - 1/200th. A bit poor.

Electronic shutter - no details.

Noise level - no details.

Viewfinder eye relief - no details.

I would have expected advantage to be taken of the electronic shutter to provide X-synch at any speed. Without relying on power-losing HSS mode in the flash. Maybe it's implemented and Nikon just forgot to mention it?

Contrary to most opinion; I'm personally not liking the design. The large lump on top makes it look like a hastily converted DSLR, which is probably close to the truth, rather than a mirrorless body designed from the ground up.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure the Z7 uses full width 4K video which is good for the shallow DOF as well as making full use of the wide angle lenses. However wouldn't it allow for using only the center 8MP area so you can get an effective 2X digital zoom without the resolution penalty. When you shoot 1080p then you could get even more reach.

No manual online yet, but what's listed in the specifications doesn't impress. For example:

Mechanical shutter X-synch speed - 1/200th. A bit poor.

Does it really matter that much? I would ordinarily agree the flash sync is important but the camera supports radio AWL and the existing WR-R10 and SB-5000 flash system which has auto FP sync. I find it works really reliably and fluidly lets me shoot at e.g. 1/500s with ambient and flash and I don't have to think about it (it does work to 1/8000s but then there is a lot of loss of light; usually 1/500s is sufficient for me). I just got Elinchrom's slower-firing high-speed sync head and this also lets me shoot at any shutter speed (though with output loss obviously, and no TTL in the units that I have). I would expect Z6/Z7 support to be issued in firmware for the Elinchrom and Nikon flashes to work from the get go. There is also the benefit of native ISO 64 in the Z7 which makes it easier to use wide apertures outdoors.

Electronic shutter - no details.

The D850 already has fully electronic shutter available in LV mode. Lack of good autofocus tracking in LV and electronic viewfinder meant it is of limited use on the D850 but the Z6/Z7 should permit this feature to be used in an easier manner. Dpreview estimated 1/15s read time, similar to A7R III.

Noise level - no details.

Obviously, this is something to be tested but there is little reason to assume it is much different from the D750 or D850.

Viewfinder eye relief - no details.

Some early testers report no trouble viewing the corners with eyeglasses. Specifications list 21mm eyepoint.

I would have expected advantage to be taken of the electronic shutter to provide X-synch at any speed.

That's not how it works. Even with the most advanced electronic shutter in the A9, you cannot use it with flash at all, you have to use the mechanical shutter if you want to use flash.

A global shutter would permit flash at any shutter speed but global shutters are expensive, not available in FX format yet, and there is some loss in dynamic range (as there is with the A9 as well, compared to A7 III that has slower read speeds but better DR at base ISO).

Without relying on power-losing HSS mode in the flash. Maybe it's implemented and Nikon just forgot to mention it?

I think you have to wait for some years to see that happen, but it may eventually come.

Contrary to most opinion; I'm personally not liking the design. The large lump on top makes it look like a hastily converted DSLR, which is probably close to the truth, rather than a mirrorless body designed from the ground up.

The cross section of the viewfinder hump looks like this:

A closer look at Nikon's new Z 6 and future Z-mount lenses

what they did is add a sophisticated optical system to make the best quality EVF experience available. The viewfinder is reported to be really sharp. This should be good for manual focus etc.

By comparison the cross section with DSLR shows a much simpler optical system after the prism in the D850:

A closer look at Nikon's new Z 6 and future Z-mount lenses

Not similar at all.

The D5 cross section looks like this:

http://i.gzn.jp/img/2016/02/25/nikon-d5-cpplus2016/DSC_1106.jpg

Edited by ilkka_nissila

How does the Z7's 8K chip make 4K video? Someone implied that it bins the whole FX area down to 4K, someone else thought it effectively DX crops so only records the middle? Surely it's the former?

Binning is not a very good way to produce clean video. There are two common alternatives - use all of the pixels in a subset of the sensor (e.g., Super 35), or use the entire width of the sensor and downsample. The last method gives the cleanest video, since staircasing (not a big issue for 4K) and other artifacts can be corrected in the process. The Sony A7Riii uses either method, at your option. We will need to see the full specs for the Z cameras to find out how Nikon handles video.

It's interesting that most cameras will only record 4,2,2 (10 bit), 4K video to an external recorder via HDMI. Not all hard drives will handle that bandwidth, much less CF cards. Plus hard drives with enough capacity are much cheaper than memory cards.

Re slow 1/200th synch speed.

"Does it really matter that much?"

- Yes! If you want any real flash power the puny Nikon speedlights (radio controlled or not) are woefully inadequate. You need one or more monolights with some real 'poke', and to use them with a virtual leaf shutter in X-synch mode, not the wasteful HSS extended pulse mode.

Not talking about electrical noise BTW, but dBA.

And still no 16 bit A/D option!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

I have enjoyed using a Sony A7I for fun, but still greatly prefer my D810 for when I need to get photos. Although I am sure the Sony III series are better than what I have, the Nikon system and UI is just more effective for me.

It looks like the Nikon Z system will give me the option to choose a mirrorless body where the advantages of that technology will benefit. What I (hopefully) anticipate vs DSLR's will be increased AF (perfect) hit rate on a subjects eye at close distance/open aperture, smaller & better wide angle lenses.

Lack of 2nd card slot is a little disappointing, but maybe wi-fi link out back up for mission critical events would work out. Other specs look like reasonable choices to me, maybe the frame rate with AF could be a little higher.

So why are they being SO conservative? That would put me off even trying it!

Are Nikon just wrong? 500% wrong?

Is it a typo? 1320 frames maybe?

.........or 320 frames AND 10-15min video?

No, it's not a typo and they are not trying to put you off. The figure is the results of tests conducted under CIPA protocol - a protocol devised to compare "apples to apples" when comparing battery life of cameras.

Here is a link that explains the test protocol (in layman's terms):

Battery life based on CIPA standard: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The figure given is correct as is the figure given by DPRevies that they got 1600 shots and some video the way they used the camera. What will you get? It depends upon how you use the camera.

For speed and reach I use a D500. My only full frame body is a D800e. ***IF*** the D800e fails at some point in the future, I could see the Z6/Z7 as a replacement given the type of photography that I do with the D800e. It will allow me to continue to use my F mount lenses and with Z-mount lenses, give me a smaller package. The lack of a 2nd card slot is disappointing.

But at this time my D800e is still going strong and since I’m generally a late adopter anyway, I probably won’t jump in until the 2nd or 3rd generation of the Z platform.

Wow, I received e-mail from San Jose Camera at 5am this morning about the Z launch event. Can't believe it is all sold out in a few hours. I think we missed Keeble and Shuchat in the South Bay (San Francisco) area. I went to their D5 event a few months before they went out of business.

There is certainly interest in Nikon Z. Whether that translates to a lot of sales remains to be seen.

Yes there is certainly a lot of interest but may not interest in buying. Some are interested in whether the Nikon can beat their Sony.

I agree with Joe! While I don't use high flash sync but if you do then a high sync speed is much better the FP because FP wastes too much flash power.

But the difference between 1/200s and 1/250s is just one third stop. Such a small difference doesn’t require you to add more flashes or larger ones for that matter. Canon 5D series is the most popular professional camera in the world and all of those models have a top sync speed of 1/200s.

Use of high speed sync is fine in practice for what I shoot and allows me to shoot at wide apertures in situations where it would otherwise not be possible. The power loss for going from 1/250s to 1/500s is one stop. Usually this speed is enough to allow me to choose at the aperture I want in outdoor situations in the kind of lighting that I like to work with.

Hey Shun,

Were you able to get a reservation for the Z event at San Jose Camera? It was "sold out" by the time I opened my email about it this morning.

Yeah, these cameras are going to sell!

Wow, I received e-mail from San Jose Camera at 5am this morning about the Z launch event. Can't believe it is all sold out in a few hours. I think we missed Keeble and Shuchat in the South Bay (San Francisco) area. I went to their D5 event a few months before they went out of business.

There is certainly interest in Nikon Z. Whether that translates to a lot of sales remains to be seen.

But the difference between 1/200s and 1/250s is just one third stop. Such a small difference doesn’t require you to add more flashes or larger ones for that matter. Canon 5D series is the most popular professional camera in the world and all of those models have a top sync speed of 1/200s.

Use of high speed sync is fine in practice for what I shoot and allows me to shoot at wide apertures in situations where it would otherwise not be possible. The power loss for going from 1/250s to 1/500s is one stop. Usually this speed is enough to allow me to choose at the aperture I want in outdoor situations in the kind of lighting that I like to work with.

I am talking about having the electronic shutter and it can sync to the full 1/8000 shutter speed. 1/200 and 1/250 is irrelevant because I would bet that the Z will sync at 1/250.

I am talking about having the electronic shutter and it can sync to the full 1/8000 shutter speed. 1/200 and 1/250 is irrelevant because I would bet that the Z will sync at 1/250.

Likely you won’t be able to use flash at all in fully electronic shutter mode. Z6/Z7 sync is 1/200s.

Just read the DP review first impressions.

Looks like the Z 7 autofocus is OK and that is all it is. Probably not that much of a surprise.

Glad to see that the Z cameras have in body stabilization but that is not enough yet for me to add one to my arsenal.

I do like the size of the camera and the substantial grip. Some of the Sony mirrorless system cameras look tiny and unbalanced

on the longer focal length lenses. Size does help when your balancing on a tripod and after having put my d3200 on a long lens to see how it would handle I feel that

there is merit in having some mass. I was pleased with the D500 for that very reason. I don't care how the body looks as much how it feels and functions. The Nikon 1 system was just too small for my taste. I hope this new start does well and evolves but has very good and not just useable compatibility with my current lenses.

People here seem to concentrate on bodies rather than glass...however has somebody noticed that the NanoCoating is absent on Z or "S" line of lenses (even on 58/0.95) !? I wonder from where the letter "S" is comming ??? (maybee : Special, Super, Sealed, Small or Simple :-) ).

And the absence of second card slot ... just imagine nowadays shooting an important wedding with no backup...is like Russian roulette. Yesterdy one of my ExtremPro 32Gb SD card suddenly and totally unexpected died , I have 3 64Gb XQD cards for my D4s and have no problems so far....but...

All I'm saying is simply this : For that amount of money Nikon should give us a 100% professional mirorless system, or maybe they imagine ordinary people will give up their 1000$ phones and stay in line to buy "Z" cameras.

People here seem to concentrate on bodies rather than glass...however has somebody noticed that the NanoCoating is absent on Z or "S" line of lenses (even on 58/0.95) !? I wonder from where the letter "S" is comming ??? (maybee : Special, Super, Sealed, Small or Simple :) ).

And the absence of second card slot ... just imagine nowadays shooting an important wedding with no backup...

Actually all three initial Z-mount lenses (24-70mm/f4, 50mm/f1.8, 35mm/f1.8) have Nano Crystal coating, but apparently Nikon does not use that N symbol on their mirrorless lenses any more.

NanoCrystal.jpg.23369dd75df40e0afe25bca4f637ef1a.jpg

See the following press release:

Nikon | News | Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S, NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S, NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S, and the Mount Adapter FTZ, and develops the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct

Nikon is not providing details on the 58mm/f0.95 lens yet, but expect it to be very expensive such that few on this forum would be getting it, anyway.

I don't like the fact that Nikon only provides one XQD slot on the Z6 and Z7. XQD is reliable enough that I may tolerate it, but I wouldn't use a camera without dual cards to capture weddings or other critical, no-second-chance occasions. Hopefully there is enough complaint that Nikon will correct that issue in the next generations.

Edited by ShunCheung

I think the bodies are aimed at the enthusiast segment for now. When there is a reasonably complete native lens line (the three f/2.8 zooms are a start in that direction), and once the new technology has been put through its paces and refined over a couple of generations, then there may be fully professional bodies including dual card slots. For now there is much development, testing and refinement to be done.

I think XQD card failure is probably unusual but I don’t have enough data to make conclusions on that. The reason Nikon put in a single slot is likely because the insides are crowded and power consumption, heat management and grip size are limiting factors.

For a wedding I would simply use two or three cameras and design the shoot so that a card failure is not catastrophic for the coverage.

My interest in these cameras is related to silent operation but a 1/15s electronic shutter read time is not tempting. I am happy to wait for Nikon to develop a faster sensor so that movement is not distorted in silent photography. At that point I may buy into the new system.

• Like 1

This video by Steve Perry is worth watching. If your primary interest is wildlife/action photography, check it out. Steve has NOT had his hands on a Z6 or a Z7. I pretty much reached the same conclusions he did and I have decided not to add my name to any preorder list.

https://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-z6-and-z7-a-wildlife-photographers-initial-perspective/

• Like 1

I honestly think we need to wait for a production camera with production firmware and then see reviews done with that, and test it out ourselves, before making too many conclusions about suitability to purpose. Not preordering a camera before trying it out is probably a smart thing to do in any case.

Yes, there is a mechanical shutter. The Z7 and Z6 are compatible with optical and radio CLS control of flashes, i.e. SB-5000 and SB-700 are mentioned in the brochure. The WR-R10 can apparently be plugged into the side of the camera without the WR-A10 adapter, so it's a bit simpler setup than using e.g. D850 where you also need the adapter. I don't know specifically about the SB-800 but I would think that they are compatible, since they're CLS flashes.

I really like it that the flash system is compatible. I particularly like the radio-controlled SB-5000.

Edited by ilkka_nissila