ADBLOCK...blocking use of No Words forum

frigo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it costs money to run a website. And I'm fine with Ad-Block warnings if I'm free user, or on some free subscription. When I am a paying member, though, it really rubs me the very wrong way. If I pay a subscription fee, and I still need to "generate" money via ads that do nothing but annoy (and most of them are only for US stores/dealers/promos anyway, so useless to me), something has gone quite wrong.

The added value of paid membership is eroding, and this drives a very big nail in its coffin.

• Like 3

Using Chrome, when the PN White Banner came up, I right-clicked on it, a message appeared, of which I took no note, concerning PN. I clicked on it, more in hope than anticipation, and lo and behold, not only did the banner disappear, I have been ad-free since. This may be possible for others to try AT THEIR OWN RISK !

Hey Folks - trying to take some time with the family so my sincere apologies for the delayed response. In short, we found that nearly 35% of our user base was using Adblocking and of that 35%, over 90% of those were not subscribers.

It is worth noting that we no longer accept "network ads" which were largely unrelated to photography and we found both domestic and international users saw some pretty awful ads through that channel which compromised their experience. Now, we only accept advertising that is related to photography and is served by us - no outside demand sources which were proving to be problematic.

The current subscriber benefit as it relates to ads, is an "Ad Free portfolio". We will take a closer look at expanding that to mostly an ad free experience for subscribers or at least the very least dialing it back. What we're doing is asking free users to whitelist us in their adblocking given our site only accepts endemic advertising and is served 100% by us - this should eliminate any concerns of getting ads that could be problematic.

...What we're doing is asking free users to whitelist us in their adblocking given our site only accepts endemic advertising and is served 100% by us ...

I visit a lot of sites that have annoying ads, so I have adblocker. I didn't even think to whitelist it for photo.net until the notices started popping up very recently. Glad to oblige, since this is my favorite photography forum by far. In fact, I think I'll become a subscriber here to help make up for those members who aren't going to renew.

The site as is just isn't worth subscribing...and now even less so.

Thank you Ray for your honest feedback. It looks as though you primarily use the forums so by white listing photo.net - you will (depending on where you are US vs International) see ~ 3 ads per page in the forums all of which will be related to photography. Personally, I don't think that is too much of an ask - thank you for your support.

Me as well, though I've been posting far less, anyway.

Please see above - forum users will see ~ 3 ads/forum page view. Not a huge ask - please show me a forum that does less ads (plus jam in network ads) for free users.

hmmm....I see network ads (aka low quality unrelated to photography and low paying ads) and I see 3 ads per page view - see two at top and one (not in screenshot) in the footer. I also see what I believe to be is a stock (meaning not custom) out of the box build - nothing wrong with it...but I'd also say photo.net has more.

948835131_ScreenShot2017-11-22at6_02_45PM.thumb.png.de1f5e749699c51a9195dacaf719b47f.png

hmmm....I see network ads (aka low quality unrelated to photography and low paying ads) and I see 3 ads per page view - see two at top and one (not in screenshot) in the footer. I also see what I believe to be is a stock (meaning not custom) out of the box build - nothing wrong with it...but I'd also say photo.net has more.

[ATTACH=full]1220549[/ATTACH]

?

I don't see any.

Here's my screenshot of the same page from 30 seconds ago:

292119959_Screenshot-2017-11-22FujiX-T1X-T2X-T10OwnersThread.thumb.png.c62b30e9d8a9d5ff3f22498b7247ea74.png

Let's get this straight. For most of the complainers, and certainly me, the issue is not how few of many ads the non-subscriber sees, but that any ads,and MOST ESPECIALLY ADS THAT INTRUDE DIRECTLY INTO THE FLOW OF THE THREAD (ones on the top or sides are tolerable) that PAID subscribers see....

I don't see any.

Maybe you don't see them because you are a subscriber?

Or you have other programs or browser extensions running on your computer that filter out ads?

On my ipad (or when using Microsoft Edge), I do see the photo.net ads and I can't say that I am bothered much by them even though they do distract from the page content. I do not understand though what photo.net gains from me seeing them - I won't click on any of them no matter how relevant photo.net thinks they are for me. So why is photo.net so bothered by me running an adblocker - for me it cleans up the page by hiding distractions that are irrelevant for me anyway. I take it that photo.net gets revenue from how many viewers they put their ads in front of - and not, as would probably be a better metric (though most certainly less profitable), by how many actually click on them?

• Like 1

Maybe you don't see them because you are a subscriber?

Or you have other programs or browser extensions running on your computer that filter out ads?

On my ipad (or when using Microsoft Edge), I do see the photo.net ads and I can't say that I am bothered much by them even though they do distract from the page content. I do not understand though what photo.net gains from me seeing them - I won't click on any of them no matter how relevant photo.net thinks they are for me. So why is photo.net so bothered by me running an adblocker - for me it cleans up the page by hiding distractions that are irrelevant for me anyway. I take it that photo.net gets revenue from how many viewers they put their ads in front of - and not, as would probably be a better metric (though most certainly less profitable), by how many actually click on them?

Sorry, I don't pay for free content. TP is free.

As I said on the first page (you obviously haven't read it) I have Adblock plus installed on Firefox.

I don't have any ads on here either, and I don't have a banner telling me to turn Adblocker off.

What I see is pure bull. I'm paying for this service and I choose to use add block, enough said. This rude display that you've plastered across my screen will either come to an end, or I quit paying you and I go somewhere else. 10 plus years of paying you for this service, obviously isn't long enough to gain your respect... Edited by G-P

Just checked my Adblocker report on TP:

abp-64.png

• Enabled on this site
  • Block element
  • Ads blocked
    • 0 on this page
      0 in total
      Share this number

• Show number in icon

[*]Report issue on this page

Options

This was on the same page I took a screen shot of above.

No adverts and none blocked.

I have Adblock plus installed on Firefox

So do I - and unless I whitelist photo.net, I do get the pop-up banner complaining about it. But even with adblock plus disabled, I still don't see the ads (and still got the warning banner until I also disabled the Kaspersky Protection browser extension on photo.net). Now the banner is gone, and fortunately for me, so are the ads still. I suspected that the Kaspersky Internet Protection I am running on my desktop filters out the ads, but that is not the case (I disabled it and the ads are still gone; and even enabled, Microsoft Edge shows the ads (I hardly ever use that browser and there are no extension installed in it). For the time being, I cannot determine what precludes me seeing the ads in firefox (or chrome) - but I certainly seem to satisfy photo.net in that I don't get the banner warning.

So apparently, with adblock plus installed in firefox, and even with photo.net whitelisted, there is the possibility to not see the ads and not get a warning either. Makes me wonder if you actually have photo.net whitelisted? Are you on the current version of firefox (57)?

On TP, ABP filters out 5 ads for me. When disabled, I do see one only - in the upper right corner.

As I said on the first page (you obviously haven't read it)

I always read all the posts in threads I participate in.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer