ADBLOCK...blocking use of No Words forum

frigo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ben - when did I say what you quoted above? When you quote someone it should be exact - not your interpretation. Forbes and other major publishers are fighting back against ad blockers (see here) is one example and there are many examples. We aren't alone in this problem of ad blockers and we won't be held hostage by adblocking companies - especially when we are not serving network ads. You will start seeing this more across publishers that rely on advertising revenue to survive and keep the sites going. All we are doing is simply ask you to whitelist us to receive ads from sponsors that fund the operations of the site - again there are no network ads and all are relevant to photography. If you choose to become a subscriber and you are logged in - you will be supporting the site and you can block the ads if you so choose.

Glen,

You're grasping at the straws and repeating the same things over and over.

You told me that you need either ad revenue or subscriber revenue to be able to hire any programmers-perhaps I am misinterpreting it but I also did not cite you as the originator. That has simply been a recurring theme of everything that you've been saying over the last few days.

And, again, we're talking in circles. You and the folks to whom you report have drawn your line in the sand, and I've drawn mine.

So, once again, WHY CAN'T YOU FIX THE WEBSITE? It's been 6 months, and as I've said countless times this site is not running exotic software.

I've identified specific problems and if I even get an acknowledgement of them all I get is a dismissal or at best an un-necessary work-around. Why should I pay money to a for profit company that can't get the basics of their site operating correctly? You all have received money from me in the past-you're not getting any more.

Frankly, this most recent move seems to be doing nothing but pissing off some of the user base. As I told you, users are the lifeblood of this site-if you don't have contributors you might as well shut the doors regardless of how much revenue your ads bring in.

And, again, is it unreasonable for me to ask for a fully functional site before I pay(again) for a subscription?

BTW, there are sites that operate without ad revenue or paid subscriptions.

Large Format Photography Forum

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board :: Index

Vintage Watch Forums - Index page

Graflex.org :: Index

I'm sorry to hear Ben is having so much trouble.

Since I don't post photos here, my needs are pretty simple. The site is working okay for me with the way I have things set up. I dare not change any settings, turn the ad blocker on, etc. I'm sitting tight, hoping it continues as is for me.

All due respect to those sites which I am sure are super fine - they appear to be hobby sites using out of the box software and free hosting. There is nothing custom about them - no galleries - pure forums out of the box - and photo.net (for better or worse) is also photo site that requires high end expensive AWS hosting along with a CDN and many other bells a whistles too long to mention here. We have a DevOps person to address site maintenance (because addition and subtraction of photos requires a database), a PHP developer - to bring new features to fruition, a person in charge of Wordpress and Xenforo - to maintain and fix as needed, myself and a few writers we contract plus a few marketing support people. All of which draw a salary of some sort - without us the site doesn't run because the AWS bill doesn't get paid, the site doesn't stay up and new features we all want don't get built and the photo centric advertisers don't get to support the site. If all you see photo.net is a forum site, then you haven't been to the other part of our site which allows us to hold true to a site called - photo.net - which accounts for 65% of our traffic. We will fix the issues you are having and I hope you return.

If all you see photo.net is a forum site, then you haven't been to the other part of our site which allows us to hold true to a site called - photo.net - which accounts for 65% of our traffic. We will fix the issues you are having and I hope you return.

35% is not exactly an insignificant amount of traffic for the fora here.

I do visit the galleries-truthfully on a nearly daily basis. I have favorite photographers across several categories and I love looking at their recent work.

None the less, to me the forum is the lifeblood of this site and it use to be the best around.

Thank you for finally paying attention to my problems(I hope it's not an empty platitude). Since I can still enjoy the site ad-free I will continue browsing here and again you have my promise that when things are fixed-heck the three specific things I listed earlier in this thread(I'll move the goal posts again to make it easier for you all) you have another subscription out of me.

Until you make the site actually functional, though, can you please consider not making it unuseable for most ad-block users?

Don't understand why now I'm getting the same Ad Blocker banner when I still have a Premium Membership. It started about several hours ago.

I take it this is not suppose to be happening and a fix will be in for PM subscribed members. My subscription ends in 7 days, but my Ad Blocker has always been on since I was a paying member.

Glenn, you seem to be saying that PM members should still white list PN just to let ads regarding photography to show up. I don't have any problem with static ads but video or any animated GIF type ads slows PN browsing experience for me.

After I re-up with another paid subscription am I going to have to white list PN? IOW is Premium Membership now runs ads (photography related) as opposed to when it stated "No Ads" as a feature of PM?

If you choose to become a subscriber and you are logged in - you will be supporting the site and you can block the ads if you so choose.

That does not seem to be working - with an adblocker active, I get the overlay/banner warning about every hour or so.

Glenn, you seem to be saying that PM members should still white list PN just to let ads regarding photography to show up.

No, he is saying that as a paying member you are free to block the ads in the fora.

stated "No Ads" as a feature of PM

It says ad-free for the portfolio etc but not for the forum. Makes no sense to me at all - especially if the majority of use is on the photo section of PN and not the fora.

It says ad-free for the portfolio etc but not for the forum. Makes no sense to me at all - especially if the majority of use is on the photo section of PN and not the fora.

Ads are suppose to be running in the forum section with a Premium Membership?

Uh-Oh! Chongo! I've not been getting any ads anywhere since I've been a paying member. I assumed when they said PM members get "ad free" several administrators back that meant a PN generated ad block was happening and so it was pointless to turn mine off.

I agree it doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint for ads to run in the forum when at any given time there's on average of about 50 participants/visitors and 1 robot.

And for those Banana Splits fans who don't remember Chongo...

Edited by Tim_Lookingbill

The YouTube link was a sort of humorous reference to the fact YouTube has figured out a way to force Ad Blockers turned off which has happened to me recently. They don't tell you specifically. They just slow the heck out of navigation and prevent me from clicking on the next video. The only way around to get a video to run is to hyperlink off either a Google search or the link within a discussion. First one's free, want to see additional videos, the ad blocker has to be turned off.

Glenn does make a valid point about ad revenue generators paying for what appears to be free media consumption not even possible on TV.

Ads are suppose to be running in the forum section with a Premium Membership?

This is what Glenn wrote earlier in this thread:

QUOTE="GPalm, post: 5621681, member: 6309921"]The current subscriber benefit as it relates to ads, is an "Ad Free portfolio". We will take a closer look at expanding that to mostly an ad free experience for subscribers or at least the very least dialing it back.

Given the quite varying accounts of subscribers and non-subscribers using or not using ad-blocker reported in this thread, I am now at a point where I am not sure what I am supposed to see. What I am certain off is that as a subscriber I don't want to see ads anywhere. I am also quite certain that as a subscriber or non-subscriber I can make ads, warning banners and overlays disappear for good with the right choice of software, browser, and ad-blocking plugins.

• Like 1

Several links have been posted as to why advertising is needed. I would like to present to this audience the opposing opinion of why adblocking is a much needed security tool. Granted, it has been said that the ads presented here to totally photography related. OK, I get that and I see that (although Save the Children is not photography related).

So with that, and I hope this is not deleted in fairness of presenting two sides of the story, here is the piece: Princeton’s Ad-Blocking Superweapon May Put an End to the Ad-Blocking Arms Race

Watch the video that is in the article. It is both informative and humorous.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, Brian. That was a worthwhile hour reading through the links and watching the video, especially the "Panopticlick" browser tracking and fingerprinting tester.

Imagine the revenue generated if I saw ads on all those links even though I haven't been able to afford or even wanted to buy anything they advertised going on over ten years surfing the web. I wonder if those ads can tell whether I'm a lurker or buyer? Now that would be very informative for them. That way they wouldn't bother to show me the ads. Tag me as a lurker.

Several links have been posted as to why advertising is needed. I would like to present to this audience the opposing opinion of why adblocking is a much needed security tool. Granted, it has been said that the ads presented here to totally photography related. OK, I get that and I see that (although Save the Children is not photography related).

So with that, and I hope this is not deleted in fairness of presenting two sides of the story, here is the piece: Princeton’s Ad-Blocking Superweapon May Put an End to the Ad-Blocking Arms Race

Watch the video that is in the article. It is both informative and humorous.

Watched the video! Thank you for sharing. Love that she mentioned AllAdvantage as a possible solution to the problem (mind you they dissolved in the 1st dot com bubble burst) - long long ago I worked at AllAdvantage in as an AE. The Brave browser is interesting idea - if you don't mind trusting the folks of Brave. I get both sides, trust me I do. I think my biggest issue with the Adblocker companies is that when we reach out to them to explain we adhere to their manifestos and that we do care about serving ads that are relevant to our subject that are safe - and we should be whitelisted because we've taken appropriate actions to not serve ads that suck....they then tell us we need pay them a very large sum of money to be whitelisted and it will be a recurring fee. At that point, it just feels very wrong - much like the mobster telling the shop owner he needs to pay for "protection".

Well at least Glenn as adminstrator isn't shutting down such discussions at even the mention of the word Ad Blockers as former admins in the old design used to do years back.

I know longer have to call it "Blab Bloppers" in order to avoid the actual term being indexed by search engines or as a flagged term by administration.

• 9 months later...
Helpful thread,

Check out the list of Best Ad Blockers which you can use in 2018 on chrome, firefox and on OS or device.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ad Blockers but I don't know if they're relevant any longer because a lot of the sites I visit now detect them and alert me to turn them off if I want to view that site's content.

And besides that the ads for some reason all of a sudden within the past 6 months or so load very quickly and now don't seem to be much of a bother as before making me less motivated to want to download and install Ad Blockers.

If sites want me to view their ads and then make it difficult and resource hogging for my browser and processor, it's THEIR FAULT, NOT MINE!

Looks like somebody agreed with me and fixed it.