What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

I bought this 1971 Nikon F last Friday from a local shop.

Advertised as “just CLA’d and ready for 70 more(!?) years”.

Over last weekend I noticed the DOF preview button didn’t work.

Went by the shop Tuesday- the repair guy was on site - he was embarrassed and promised to fix it by the next day. I picked it up Wednesday and loaded a film, only to notice that the film counter didn’t reset.

The repair guy was almost crying from embarrassment and promised it by Thursday. I picked it up today and hope it will not need to be returned.

52312045511_2882b33caf_h.jpg

• Like 5
Niels

Went by the shop Tuesday- the repair guy was on site - he was embarrassed and promised to fix it by the next day. I picked it up Wednesday and loaded a film, only to notice that the film counter didn’t reset.

The repair guy was almost crying from embarrassment and promised it by Thursday. I picked it up today and hope it will not need to be returned.

Something about the original Nikon F that grows on you the more you use it.

• Like 4

A digital camera of the same age would not be repairable , presuming of course that any modern digital camera would even last this long :).

• Like 3

Besides the Nikon F above, I also acquired a few inexpensive Tamron lenses for my Leica R3 during this past two weeks, and I wanted to check these over the weekend as well.

My Leica branded lens collection counts 7 primes, yet regardless of price, these Tamron lenses have nothing to be ashamed of.

With Leica R being a dead-end camera system, the R bodies are cheap, yet the Leica R lenses has become highly valued by the Cine and mirrorless crowd.

This brings back the relevance of ambitious 3rd party makers such as Tamron.

These 2 excellent lenses cost me less than $150 including the Adaptall adapter.

Film will be Kodak ImagePro 100.

52315907852_40918d1ab6_h.jpg

Leica R3 with Tamron 28/2.5 (02B) and 35-80/2.8-3.8 (01A)

Edited by NHSN
  • Like 5
Niels

A David White Stereo Realist with nowhere close to new Tri-X.

And a D200 with 18-270 Tamron lens.

I had the Realist at a rose and peony garden, and tried to get some shots with

depth, as there are a rows of flowers.

• Like 3

-- glen

"A walk down memory lane" or perhaps "revisiting the sins of my youth?". I'm not sure what got into me, but I pulled out the Nikon FE yesterday and loaded it with some HP5 and mounted the much-beloved 35 f2.

This morning I decided to go with the full 80s aperture-priority experience and pulled out my various moderate wide-to-tele zooms for a ponder. Two SP Tamrons - 28-80 f3.5-4.2 and 35-80 f2.8-3.8 and two Vivitar Series 1 - 28-90 f2.8-3.5 and 28-105 f2.8-3.8.

I've long been a fan of the FE - for other people. It has been my recommendation for people getting into (or returning to) film photography for years now. It has a beautifully rational control layout and performs perfectly and reliably in every way. The "Tonka Toy" shutter noise and vibration and odd film wind feel and sound have always put me off enough I've seldom used the camera. The F2S or F4 always seem to end up in my hand and the FE goes back in the drawer. Yes, silly... but there it is.

The Tamron 35-80 is one of only two lenses I've purchased new and it wandered the world with me for a very long time. Apart from some distortion at the wide end it really is marvellous. The 28-80 was purchased later at some camera show and might have been used once? The Series 1 28-90 was bought later as well, but has seen a fair amount of use and my example performs beautifully. The Vivitar 28-105 has been mounted on a camera a few times, but I'm not sure I ever actually made an image with it. So, the 28-105 it shall be. I'll let you know how the "dark horse" works out. I did make a few images with it on the Nikon D3 just to make sure it isn't complete crap and they look just fine.

_ND32497.thumb.jpeg.0665d343d54f36f5eb3b47bb65725a13.jpeg 1976929638__ND32499(1).thumb.jpeg.b8d044d893687ce9148e9d19e344b74a.jpeg

• Like 6

"A walk down memory lane" or perhaps "revisiting the sins of my youth?". I'm not sure what got into me, but I pulled out the Nikon FE yesterday and loaded it with some HP5 and mounted the much-beloved 35 f2.

(snip)

[ATTACH=full]1438032[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1438033[/ATTACH]

My old favorite, the AI 35/2.0. When I bought my FM, just after the FE came out, I bought it with the 35/2.0.

Never bought a 50mm lens for it, though I did have the AI 35-70/3.5 for it later.

Not too wide, but wide enough to get things you want in the frame.

• Like 3

-- glen

My old favorite, the AI 35/2.0. When I bought my FM, just after the FE came out, I bought it with the 35/2.0.

Never bought a 50mm lens for it, though I did have the AI 35-70/3.5 for it later.

Not too wide, but wide enough to get things you want in the frame.

I use my 35 f2 AI-s on everything, including full frame digital (often). Just a really nice lens.

• Like 1

I picked up this Ensign Selfix 820 after I left a very low bid on a local auction, and wondered if I'd suffer an attack of buyer remorse. However, it turned out to be in working trim and cosmetically tidy, though a previous owner has embellished it with a gold pin stripe on both front and back. I've cleaned it up and I'll probably list it again for sale, if I'm happy with the performance. Both John Seaman and myself, and possibly others, have previously posted information on the Selfix 820, and as I recall the overall opinion was that this 1950's folder with its dual 6x6/6x9 formats is bulky, heavy and ergonomically awful, with an appalling shutter release and an elegant Albada finder that's pretty useless in bright light as the floating frame lines tend to disappear. Other than that, it's a joy to use. The lens is the 105mm Ross Xpres f/3.8 which receives very mixed critiques, though in my estimation it's a very good performer.

I'll try to post some results in the current weekly thread later in the weekend.

1960516387_EnsignSelfix820.thumb.jpg.ba2f136521dbeb632d202da4dc886c90.jpg

• Like 7

ContaxIIa_pair.thumb.jpg.47c1e2655af4c62e4a0fe8dac2e710bc.jpg

Loaded up a recently acquired Contax IIa "Black Dial" this weekend (the one on the right). Only snapped a few images while out riding my bicycle.

The camera, like most of this series if it's sat unused for a long time, needed a little help reviving the slow speeds, which is relatively simple.

On the other hand it has a slight vertical misalignment in the rangefinder. Fixing that would be way more trouble than suffering the inconvenience.....for now.

• Like 7

[ATTACH=full]1438416[/ATTACH]

Loaded up a recently acquired Contax IIa "Black Dial" this weekend (the one on the right). Only snapped a few images while out riding my bicycle.

The camera, like most of this series if it's sat unused for a long time, needed a little help reviving the slow speeds, which is relatively simple.

Great to see you have moved to post WWII ;-)

Still enjoying the IIIa you fixed for me.

• Like 2
Niels

@rick_drawbridge glad to see your fine results from the Ensign Selfix 820 and Ross Xpres lens, despite the ergonomics and shutter challenges. Incidentally, I just got myself an Agfa Record II with Solinar lens, after debating about pros and cons of various period 6x9 folders in terms of image quality, ergonomics, reliability and cost. Look forward to sharing some results in a few weeks.

[ATTACH=full]1438416[/ATTACH]

On the other hand it has a slight vertical misalignment in the rangefinder. Fixing that would be way more trouble than suffering the inconvenience.....for now.

Anyone here who knows me knows how much I adore these lovely creatures.

bruce_z._li|2 said

Incidentally, I just got myself an Agfa Record II with Solinar lens, after debating about pros and cons of various period 6x9 folders in terms of image quality, ergonomics, reliability and cost. Look forward to sharing some results in a few weeks.

I'll look forward to seeing your results, Bruce. I have the earlier Agfa Billy with the Compur shutter and Solinar lens, and it certainly performs well. Some information here.

It's a Pretty Thing...

• Like 1

I've still got some partially done reports on some Arguses (Argii?) and an early Pentax AF, etc

but I'm waiting for cooler weather -- it's showing signs of sneaking up on us, but the highs are still in the upper 80s

Since I have to send out C41 film, it's a lot less convenient, and I may reload with some conventional B&W

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1