What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Just finished another roll on my Kodak Duex 6x4.5.  The Duex is about as simple as it gets ... two shutter speeds (B & 1/30), single aperture (f11), and fixed-focus 73mm periscopic doublet lens.

I'm not sure if it was due to poor sales and/or the start of WWII, but the Duex was only produced for two years from 1940 - 1942.

The Duex natively accepts 620 film but a simple modification allows a trimmed 120 spool to fit on the supply side.

Shooting with this camera is a real pleasure.  It fits the hands comfortably and, with no settings to mess with, let's you concentrate on lighting and composition.  The main decision is the film speed to use.  I use 100 speed for mildly sunny days and 400 speed for heavy overcast.

KodakDuex.jpg.e72f4d4e19b83d5d67147a48a721ca28.jpg

• Like 9

Small, cheap and automatic SLR paired with pancake lens, can that be my ultimate carry-everywhere 35mm outfit? Nikon EM with Series-E 50/1.8 vs Konica TC with Hexanon 40/1.8. The Nikon kit is slighter lighter (590 grams vs 668 grams), and is aperture priority (which I prefer). The Konnica kit has my favorite pancake lens, and it has both shutter priority or manual. I think I will like both.

Nikon EM vs Konica TC

• Like 10

I will be using this borrowed Rolleiflex 3.5 E2 with separation in the taking lens. It is mostly out of curiosity; to find out if and how this defect affects the images.

From the outside it is almost impossible to notice unless you know it is there, but at some angles it becomes very visible - it makes me wonder how it may affect the photographs. I will use Kodak Gold 200 and try some difficult light situations.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6f893a1538f1681d875039a9447bce9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.719162e35c544c924bd2e5047d2ca0cd.jpeg

• Like 9
Niels

I haven't run much film through my circa 1918 Ansco Vest Pocket Speedex No. 3 since I wrote the review for it back in June.  The 100+ year old bellows kept springing new leaks and the original body covering was badly worn & torn so I decided to give it a makeover.

Here it is with new skin and bellows.  This is my first attempt at re-covering a camera body and it's not perfect but looks much better than before.  I hope to put a roll through it this week.

AnscoVPNo.3small.jpg.83682749a3112a470db2d53eb5d24775.jpg

• Like 10
  • On Point 1

I am checking this new-to-me combo to see if there is a need for an overhaul.

A Leica IIIC (1950) which has been factory converted to a model IIIF (BD) at some point. A Visoflex II unit with an Elmar 65mm f3.5. The focusing unit behind the Elmar lens-head accepts other Leica lens heads, for example my Elmarit 90mm/2.8 but today I will only use the 65mm. 

I will use HP5+ in hope to have enough light to check the faster speeds, as they are often the weak point.

Leica IIIc (1950) (converted to IIIf) with Visoflex II and Elmar 65mm f3.5

@arthur_mcculloch2 I have received the film back. There is no obvious problems to my eye. I tried to include a lot of light and backlit situations. I will post the results in another thread soon and tag you.

• Like 7
Niels

Nikon FE (1980) & Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8 - later model with “AIS look”

I have a weak point for distressed Nikon FEs like this, which I was recently gifted.

The FE was my first SLR and I naturally have a sentimental relationship with the camera and not least the user experience which I have never found better in an SLR.

This one needed a bit of battery chamber cleaning, new light seals, new mirror bumper and some exercise. I hope it checks out with film.
I will use a partially exposed roll of Fujifilm C200 that was in the camera when I got it.

Magpie included for size. 😉

Nikon FE (1980) & Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 8
Niels

It is the last day of the Flickr Polaroid Day Autumn 2023, so naturally I'm using a Polaroid SX-70. The original leatherette was cracking and disintegrating like dust, so I pimped it up with some Aki Asahi real leather. It still shoots like a champ, and recently I got some flash and close-up accessories. The best instant camera ever in my humble opinion.

Polaroid SX-70: still my favorite!

Edited by bruce_z._li2
  • Like 8

Leica IA (1930) w. FODIS rangefinder (1925-1929).
Black paint and nickel hardware.

I finally found a IA in good original condition with a reasonable pricetag.
This represents the DNA and origin of 35mm film photography as we know it.

Although the rangefinder fits in the accessory shoe, I suspect it was normally kept in the pocket and taken out when necessary - rather than inconveniently mounted like shown below.

The camera is completely serviceable despite its age of 90+ years and as I plan to use it, I will test if it needs service - I expect it will.
I have loaded a FILCA film cartridge with HP5+ for the weekend.

Leica IA (1930) w. FODIS rangefinder (1925-1929)

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 7
Niels

A new-to-me vintage lens, Goerz Berlin Dagor 180/6.8, is probably more than 100 years old. I heard a lot about Dagors and this is my very first one. I got it seated in a Linhof branded Synchro Compur #1 shutter, and it looks nice on the Linhof Tech V. I took a few sheets and shared on the weekly. I'm liking the look of the images.

Dagor 180mm f/6.8 on Linhof Tech V

• Like 9

I recently acquired this very fine condition Agfa Solinette II with 50mm f3.5 Solinar lens in a Prontor SV shutter.  The lens/shutter combination seems unusual in that, in my (limited) internet research, I have not found it listed as a standard configuration for this model.  However, I do believe this camera is original as it showed no signs of previous tampering/modification.

As purchased, the only problems were a slow shutter and a frozen focus ring due to the infamous "Agfa grease" issue.  After restoring a handful of Agfa/Ansco cameras over the years, I have found a suitable combination of solvents/lubricants that soften the original grease without disassembly and seem to keep the grease soft indefinitely.  I can now easily focus with a single finger.

After reading Rick Drawbridge's @rick_drawbridge "The Surprising Solinette" (LINK), I am anxious to give this petite folder a tryout.

Agfa_Solinette_II_small.jpg.958a8dd8067e9208ef086b1e7d9ffdd5.jpg

• Like 10

I have 36 exposures of Fujicolor 200 loaded in my Canon L1/Canon 50mm/f2.8 Leica screw mount classic. My Gossen Luna-Pro F is along for the ride. We're scheduled to have the Budweiser Clydesdales in Oak Ridge, TN tomorrow. I have turned into a Barnack fan, as this system works well for my street photography needs ideally. The LTM Camera is light weight enough and is an extension of me, and works well for my needs for lightweight, versatile, and fast handling in Canon Lever Wind form. A joy to use. I am on my 5th roll of film using it. 

Edited by Kent T
  • Like 3

Contax IIIa w. Sonnar 50mm 1.5 (circa 1955)

It has been a while since this one was out last. 
This weekend is cloudy and dark and calls for a fast lens. 
There's still some pleasing fall colours around so I have loaded it with a roll of Fuji Superia X-tra 400.
According to this: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_serial_numbers , the lens would be from around 1955, and I would expect the camera and lens were sold together.

I don't know if the aluminium hood is contemporary with the camera, I got it in a separate purchase, but it says Carl Zeiss and fits.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 9
Niels

2 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

It has been a while since this one was out last. 
This weekend is cloudy and dark and calls for a fast lens. 
There's still some pleasing fall colours around so I have loaded it with a roll of Fuji Superia X-tra 400.
According to this: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_serial_numbers , the lens would be from around 1955, and I would expect the camera and lens were sold together.

I don't know if the aluminium hood is contemporary with the camera, I got it in a separate purchase, but it says Carl Zeiss and fits.

If the hood is the one from the 1950's, it is a great hood but it blocks a lot of the viewfinder.  There were two versions--a 40.5 mm screw in and a 42 mm push on. When I have used mine I have used the turret finder in the accessory shoe to have an unobstructed view of the subject.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

If the hood is the one from the 1950's, it is a great hood but it blocks a lot of the viewfinder.  There were two versions--a 40.5 mm screw in and a 42 mm push on. When I have used mine I have used the turret finder in the accessory shoe to have an unobstructed view of the subject.

Thanks for the info AGJ.

My bad; I meant to say cap, the one shown in my hand.

Unfortunately the filter threads of this lens are stripped so I can’t add a screw-in hood nor a protective filter. I am not sure if it is the case for Zeiss, but I am used to lenses of that era having super soft coating so I wouldn’t object against a hood or filter for protection.

So in this case it would have to be a push-on. I will keep my eyes open for one. 

• Like 2
Niels

2 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Thanks for the info AGJ.

My bad; I meant to say cap, the one shown in my hand.

Unfortunately the filter threads of this lens are stripped so I can’t add a screw-in hood nor a protective filter. I am not sure if it is the case for Zeiss, but I am used to lenses of that era having super soft coating so I wouldn’t object against a hood or filter for protection.

So in this case it would have to be a push-on. I will keep my eyes open for one. 

That cap looks period correct for your Sonnar--the ones from the 1930's say Carl Zeiss Jena, not Germany.  Incidentally, the really soft glass was on the 1930's collapsible f/2 version; the f/1.5 versions are reputed to have harder glass for their front elements.

• Like 2